·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

About Us

Painting: Peter Annable (MGRA)

Mike Musson Collection

Stations and other important locations in the County of Warwickshire

The following is predominantly a list of Stations, Junctions, Goods Depots, etc, which at one time were part of the County of Warwickshire. This includes stations such as the L&NWR's and Midland Railway's stations in Tamworth which, when their stations were first built, were part of Warwickshire but later in 1889 ceded to the County of Staffordshire. The list also includes a number of stations from towns and villages which had previously been part of other counties such as Staffordshire and Worcestershire but after being absorbed into the City of Birmingham became part of Warwickshire (until 1st April 1974 when Birmingham became part of the new West Midlands Metropolitan County Council which was scrapped in 1986). Examples include Kings Norton, Bournville, Barnt Green, etc, on the Midland Railway's line to Gloucester.

Finally a small number of stations from other counties which had never been part of Warwickshire have been included where we think their inclusion is appropriate by completing a route. One example being the Midland Railway's Birmingham to Evesham route where Evesham, Harvington, Redditch and Alvechurch have been included on our route map. We have also included stations on the Harborne line as being part of the London & North Western Railway's list because whilst the Harborne Railway was independently owned until 1923, when it was absorbed into the LMS, it was operated from the outset by the L&NWR. In instances where the name of a station changed over time we have endeavoured to list each name separately but with all linking to the same appropriate page providing the description and photographs. As we are continually finding new information the lists will be updated as and when we find the information. We have also provided a map showing the railways within and around the County of Warwickshire as well as providing the information for each railway company.

GWR 4-4-0 Bulldog class No 3340 Marazion is seen standing at the North end of the up platform with the North Signal Box seen on the left
County Map
Railway Clearing House
All but one of the stations to be seen on this website were built in the county prior to nationalisation and are therefore included in one of the following railway links. The only station built within our time period by British Railways (Butlers Lane station) is therefore only to be found on the full listing seen below.

List of only GWR stations and other locations

List of only LMS stations and other locations

List of only LNWR stations and other locations

List of only LNER stations and other locations

List of only MR stations and other locations

List of only SMJR stations and other locations

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T V W X Y Z

Stations, Junctions, Goods Depots, etc Railway Company Operational status

A

 

back to top

Acocks Green station GWR Open for Passengers on 1st October 1852 . Closed to Goods traffic on 9th September 1968. Station renamed Acocks Green and South Yardley in 1878. Station renamed Acocks Green on 6th May 1968.    
Abbey Street station MR Open for passenger services via Whitacre on 1st November 1864 and goods services on 1st December 1864. Closed for passengers 4th March 1964.
Adderley Park station LNWR Opened by the LNWR for passengers on 1st August 1860. No Goods facilities were ever provided.
Albany Road Bridge, Coventry LNWR Bridge opened on 2nd September 1850. Remains in use today.
Alcester station GWR Opened on 4th September 1876. Closed to Passengers and Goods traffic on 25th September 1939.
Alcester station MR Opened on 17th September 1866. Closed to passengers on 17th September 1963 (last train ran on 1st October 1962 being replaced by a bus service). Closed completely on 6th June 1964.
Alvechurch station MR Opened to passengers on 1st November 1859 and remains in use today.
Arley Colliery Tunnel MR Opened on 1st November 1864 and remains in use today.
Arley & Fillongley station MR Opened as Arley station on 1st November 1864. Renamed as Arley and Fillongley on 1st March 1867. Closed to all traffic on 17th November 1960.
Aston station LNWR Aston station opened in 1854 by the LNWR for passengers services only. Remains in use today. No Goods facilities were provided.
Aston Cantlow Halt GWR Opened to passengers only on 18th December 1922. Closed to passengers on 25th September 1939. Station re-opened in 1941. Station finally closed on 1st March 1951.
Atherstone station LNWR Atherstone station open to passengers on 30th November 1847.
B    

back to top

Banbury Street Ticket Platform LNWR Last used to collect tickets on 1st July 1885.    
Barnt Green station MR Barnt Green Station was first opened on 1 May 1844. changed on 1st June 1857 to 'Barnt Green for Redditch'. It was then changed to 'Barnt Green for Bromsgrove' at some date prior to 1st January 1863 but then reverted to 'Barnt Green on 1st July 1868.
Bearley station GWR Bearley station opened on 9th October 1860. Closed Goods 20th May 1963.
Bearley North Junction GWR The junction was opened in 1908 when the North Warwickshire Railway was built. Taken out of use 20th November 1960.
Bearley West Junction GWR The junction was opened in 1908 when the North Warwickshire Railway was built.
Bedworth station LNWR The LNWR opened the Coventry to Nuneaton Line and Bedworth station on 12th September 1850. On 18th January 1965 British Railways withdrew passenger services from the line and closed Bedworth station. BR reopened Bedworth station 10th May 1988 and normal passenger services have resumed from 16th May 1988.
Bentley Heath Crossing GWR Open
Berkswell station LNWR On 27th November 1844 the London & Birmingham Railway Board ordered that there be provided platforms and booking huts to be provided at Docker's Lane, Berkswell station's original name. The name then changed to Berkswell on 1st January 1853, then to Berkswell & Balsall Common on 1st February 1928 before reverting to Berkswell again some time later.
Bidford on Avon station S&MJR Closed 19th February 1917. Re-opens 1st January 1919. Last passenger train 16th June 1947. Station finally closed 23rd May 1949.
Binton station S&MJR Binton station opened on 22nd February 1885 with the last passenger train running on 16th June 1947 before final closure on 23rd May 1949. Goods traffic ceased in 1960 with the closure of the line between Stratford upon Avon and Broom.
Birmingham Central Goods station MR The Central Goods station station was opened in 1887, originally as Worcester Wharf being located next to the Worcester and Birmingham Canal. The name was changed to Central Goods station in 1892. It closed in 1967.
Birmingham Moor Street station GWR Moor Street station in a temporary form first opened in July 1909 as part of the initiative to open a route to the South West viathe North Warwickshire Railway. The station was fully opened, complete with goods shed, on 7th January 1914. The goods shed closed on 6th November 1972. In 1987 the station was relocated, through platforms opened, terminal platforms closed. In 2002 the station was renovated and in 2010 the terminal platforms were reopened.
Birmingham New Street station LNWR
& MR
The station formally opened on 1st June 1854, although part of the station had already been since 1852 as the terminus for Stour Valley Railway.
Birmingham Snow Hill station GWR Birmingham Snow Hill station was opened by the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway on 1st October 1852. It was originally called Birmingham station, its name was changed to Great Charles Street station, and then Livery Street station before finally becoming Birmingham Snow Hill station in February 1858. The station finally closed to passengers on 6 March 1972. The station reopened on 5th October 1987 and on 31st May 1999 the Midland Metro opened. No Goods facilities were provided.
Birmingham Southern Approaches LNWR Open
Birdingbury station LNWR Birdingbury station opened at the same as the line between Rugby and Leamington on 1st March 1851. The goods yard closed in August 1953 and the station closed to passengers on 15th June 1959 when passenger services on the line ceased.
Blake Street station LNWR Blake Street station opened for passengers in 1884. No Goods facilities were provided.
Bordesley station GWR Bordesley station opened for passengers in 1855. Closed Goods 6th July 1964.
Bournville station MR Initially named Stirchley Street, opened in 1876 as the temporary southern terminus of the Birmingham West Suburban Railway. In 1880 it was renamed Stirchley Street and Bournville. In 1904, the station was finally renamed Bournville. No Goods facilities were provided.
Brandon & Wolston station LNWR Opened as Brandon station on 9th April 1838. Rebuilt nearby as Brandon and Wolston station on 2nd October 1879 and closed on 12th September 1960.
Braunston London Road station LNWR Opened as Braunston station on 1st August 1895. On 1st July 1950 it was renamed Braunston London Road. Station closed to passengers on 15th September 1958.
Braunston & Willoughby station L&NER Braunston & Willoughby opened on 15th March 1899. The station closed to passengers and goods traffic on 1st April 1957.
Brighton Road station MR Brighton Road station opened in 1875 on the MR's Camp Hill Line. It succumbed to 'wartime economy measures' in 1941 and never reopened.
Brinklow station LNWR Opened as Stretton (or Streeton) station on 15th September 1847. Renamed Brinklow station on 1st February 1870. Station closed to passengers on 16th September 1957 and for goods on the 20th February 1961.
Broad Marston Halte GWR Broad Marston Halte opened on 17th October 1904 and closed to passengers on 14th July 1916 as a wartime economy measure. Pebworth Halt was built some 352 yards to the south. No goods facilities were provided.
Bromford Bridge station MR The station opened as Bromford Forge station on 6th May 1842 but quickly closed due to lack of traffic on 1st June 1843. Rebuilt and renamed Bromford Bridge Racecourse on 9th March 1896. The station closes permanently on 28th June 1965. No goods facilities were provided.
Broom Junction station MR No direct local access. The station was used by passengers and goods transiting from the Midland Railway's Birmingham to Evesham line and the SMJ's line to Stratford upon Avon (or vice versa) which opened on 1st November 1880. Closed 17th September 1963. No local goods facilities were provided.
Bulkington station LNWR Closed
Burton Dassett S&MJR Opened as Warwick Road for both passenger and goods services on 1st June 1871 but closed to passengers on 31st July 1877. A ground frame, 'Burton Hill' opened in August 1898 controlling several sidings but the public siding was not opened until 1st December 1909. Closed to EHLR traffic on 27th January 1925. The public siding closed on 11th November 1963.
Butlers Lane station British Railways Butler's Lane station was opened as a Halt by British Railways on 30th September 1957. It was closed for re-building on 21st October 1991 and reopened on 23rd March 1992. No goods facilities were provided.
C    

back to top

Cadbury's Sidings MR Closed    
Camp Hill station MR Camp Hill station was opened as the temporary terminus for the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway on 17th December 1840 and closed on 17th August 1841 when the line to Curzon Street opened. It reopened on 15th November 1841. On 1st December 1867 it was closed then reopened as Camp Hill and Balsall Heath station. On 1st April 1904 it was renamed Camp Hill station. Closed on 27th January 1941 as a wartime measure but never reopened.
Canley Halt LMS Canley Halt was opened for passengers only on 30th September 1940. No goods facilities were provided.
Castle Bromwich station MR Castle Bromwich station opened for Passengers 10th February 1842. The station closed on 4th March 1968.
Catesby Tunnel L&NER Catesby Tunnel opened for coal traffic on 25th July 1898; for passenger traffic on 15th March 1899; and for goods traffic on 11th April 1899. Closed to all traffic 3rd September 1966.
Central Goods Depot MR Birmingham Central Goods station, originally known as Worcester Wharf, opened for traffic on 1st July 1887. The name change occurred on 31st May 1892. Central Goods station closed on 6th March 1967.
Chambers Crossing Halt GWR Chambers Crossing Halt was opened on 17th October 1904 and closed as a wartime measure on 14th July 1916. The station never reopened. No goods facilities were provided.
Chester Road station LNWR Chester Road station opened on 1st December 1863. No goods facilities were provided.
Chilvers Coton station LNWR Chilvers Coton station opened on 2nd September 1850 and remained opened until 18th January 1965. No goods facilities were provided.
Church Road station MR Church Road station was opened in 1875 and closed in 1925. No goods facilities were provided.
Claverdon station GWR Claverdon station opened for passengers on 9th October 1860. and closed for goods 20th May 1963.
Clifford Chambers Sidings S&MJR Goods traffic only. Closed?
Clifton Mills station LNWR Clifton Mills station opened on 1st May 1850 and closed on 6th June 1966. No goods facilities were provided.
Coleshill station (later Maxstoke) MR Coleshill station/Maxstoke opened on 5th August 1839 on 1st January 1917 when war time economy measures enabled the MR to enact legislation that the line closed to passenger traffic. Still in use for occasional goods traffic in 1923 the station was renamed Maxstoke, with Forge Mills being renamed Coleshill. On 12th January 1935 the branch line was cut in half when the timber bridge over the River Blythe was certified as too weak to support a train. Coleshill or now Maxstoke still had a goods service until 30 April 1939 when the line was used to store crippled wagons.
Coleshill station (née Forge Mills) MR Coleshill station/Forge Mills opened on 10th February 1842. In 1923 the LMS renamed the station as Coleshill. The station was closed on 4th March 1968. A new station near to the site, called Coleshill Parkway, was opened in 2007.
Constructing the Great Central L&NER Closed.
Coughton station MR Coughton station opened on 4th May 1868 and closed to all traffic on 30th June 1952.
Coundon Road station LNWR First named Counden Road, the station opened on 2nd September 1850 (changed to Coundon Road in 1894) and closed on 18th January 1965. Goods facilities were provided for coal merchants and closed after passenger traffic withdrawn.
Coventry station LNWR Open for Passengers on 9th April 1838. Closed to Goods traffic in the late 1960s.
Coventry Loop Line LNWR Coventry Loop Line first opened on 16th August 1914. Humber Road Junction was severed on 7th October 1963. Therefore became a long siding from Three Spires junction. The last traffic to the Chrysler factory ended in 1981, and the rest of the branch closed in September that year. The track was lifted in 1982.
Coventry Three Spires Junction LNWR See above.
Curzon Street station LNWR Curzon Street station originally known as 'Birmingham' station was opened on 24th June 1838. Name changed from 'Birmingham' to 'Birmingham Curzon Street' in November 1852. Used by local services to Sutton Coldfield and excursion trains until 1893.
Curzon Street Goods Depot LNWR From November 1852 it continued in use as a goods station until 1966. The platforms, along with the original trainsheds were demolished the same year. The site was then used as a parcelforce depot until May 2006.
D    

back to top

Daimler Halt LNWR Daimler Halt opened in 1917 and closed in 1965. No Goods facilities were provided.    
Danzey for Tanworth station GWR Danzey for Tanworth station opened for Passengers in 1908 and closed for Goods traffic on 1st June 1964.
Dunchurch station LNWR Dunchurch station opened on 2nd October 1871 and closed to passengers on 15th June 1959 and Goods on 2nd November 1964.
Duddeston Road Junction (MR) MR Open
E    

back to top

Earlswood Lake station GWR Earlswood Lake station open for Passengers on 1st June 1908. Remains open for Passengers. Closed for Goods on 6th July 1964    
Ettington station S&MJR Ettington station opened on 1st July 1873 and first closed on 1st August 1877. The station then reopened on 22nd February 1885 before finally closing for passengers on 7th April 1952. Closed forgoods traffic on 11th November 1963.
Erdington station LNWR Erdington station opened for Passengers in 1862. Remains open. No Goods facilities were provided.
Evesham Road Crossing Halte GWR Evesham Road Crossing Halte open for traffic on the 17th October 1904 and closed on 14th July 1916 as a wartime economy measure but never reopened. No Goods facilities were provided.
Evesham station (Worcestershire) MR Closed
F    

back to top

Fenny Compton station GWR Fenny Compton station (GWR) opened on 1st October 1852. Closed to Goods traffic in April 1958 and passengers on 2nd November 1964.    
Fenny Compton station S&MJR Fenny Compton station (SMJ) opened in 1873 and closed to passengers in 1952.
Flecknoe station LNWR Flecknoe station opened on 1st August 1895 and closed to passengers on 3rd November 1952 and Goods in October 1956.
Foleshill station LNWR Foleshill Station opened sometime after the Nuneaton-Coventry line which opened on 2 September 1850. The station closed on 18th January 1965.
Four Oaks station LNWR Four Oaks station opened for passengers on 15th December 1884. Remains open for passengers. Goods traffic closed in 1960s.
Five Ways station MR Five Ways station opened for passengers in 1885 and remained in service until 1944 when it closed as part of wartime economy measures. A new station reopened in 1978.
Forge Mills station (later Coleshill) MR Forge Mills/Coleshill station opened on 10th February 1842. In 1923 the LMS renamed the station as Coleshill. The station was closed on 4th March 1968. A new station near to the site, called Coleshill Parkway, was opened in 2007.
G    

back to top

Gloucester Junction MR Open    
Gravelly Hill station LNWR Gravelly Hill station opened for passengers in 1862. Remains open for passengers. No Goods facilities were provided.
Great Alne station GWR Great Alne station closed for passengers 25th September 1939. Closed Goods 25th September 1939. Closed to Workman trains on 3rd July 1944.
Great Barr station LNWR Opened as Hamstead and Great Barr station opened for passengers on 4 July 1837. Renamed Great Barr station on 1st May 1875. The station was rebuilt on the opposite side of the road bridge on 25th March 1899. On 6th May 1974 it was renamed Hamstead station.
Grimes Hill & Wythall Platform GWR first opened to passengers on 1st June 1908 Renamed Wythall 6th May 1974. No Goods facilities were provided.
H    

back to top

Hagley Road station LNWR Hagley Road station opened on 10th August 1874. Passengers services closed on 26th November 1934 whilst goods traffic ceased on 4th November 1963.    
Halesowen Junction MR Branch line closed in 1964.
Hall Green station GWR Open for passengers on 9th December 1908. Remains open. Closed Goods 6th July 1964. Closed to coal traffic on 6th May 1968.
Hampton station MR Hampton station opened on 12th August 1839 but was renamed 'Hampton Junction' on 1st November 1849. It reverted to 'Hampton' on 1st December 1872. Lost its final passenger service in 1917 as a wartime economy measure. A length of the former branch remained at the Hampton end until the early 1960s to give rail access to the mill.
Hampton-in-Arden station LNWR Hampton in Arden station was opened on 1st September 1884. Remains open. Goods closed in 1960s.
Hamstead station LNWR Opened as Hamstead and Great Barr station opened for passengers on 4 July 1837. Renamed Great Barr station on 1st May 1875. The station was rebuilt on the opposite side of the road bridge on 25th March 1899. On 6th May 1974 it was renamed Hamstead station.
Handsworth & Smethwick station GWR Handsworth & Smethwick station opened in 1854 and closed to goods traffic on 9th September 1968 and to passengers on 5th March 1972.
Handsworth Wood station LNWR Handsworth Wood station opened in 1896 and closed in 1941 as part of wartime economy measures.
Handsworth Junction LNWR Open.
Harborne station LNWR Harborne station opened to passengers on 10th August 1874. It closed to passenger traffic on 26th November 1934 and to goods traffic in 1963.
Harborne Junction LNWR Branch line lifted
Harbury Cutting GWR Opened by 1st October 1852.
Harvington station (Worcestershire) MR The station opened on 16th June 1866 for passengers and 17th September 1866 for goods traffic when the section of line between Evesham and Alcester opened. The Evesham to Redditch section of the line was closed to passengers on 1st October 1962, initially on a temporary basis because of the poor condition of the track with a substitute bus service being provided. The temporary bus service became permanent when the passenger service between Evesham and Redditch was withdrawn with effect from 17th June 1963, the line completely closing on 6th July 1964 with the track being lifted by January 1965. Harvington Signal Box was opened on 2nd June 1891 and remained open until 1st March 1964 despite the station having been closed to all traffic on 1st October 1962.
Hatton station GWR Hatton station opened for Passengers on 1st October 1852. The station remains open. Closed to goods traffic on 11th November 1963.
Hatton Bank GWR Open by 1852.
Hawkesbury Lane station LNWR Hawkesbury Lane station opened on 2nd September 1850 and closed on 18th January 1965.
Hazelwell station MR Hazelwell Station opened on 1st January 1903 and closed in 1941 for 'wartime economy measures' never to reopen.
Henley in Arden station (Branch Terminus) GWR Henley in Arden station, the Branch Terminus station, opened on 6th June 1894 and closed to passenger traffic on 1st July 1908. The goods remained open to serve the new station until 31st December 1962.
Henley in Arden station (North Warwicks) GWR Open for passenger traffic in 1908 and remains open.
Hockley station GWR Hockley station opened in November 1854 and closed to passenger traffic on 5th March 1972. The goods facility also opened late 1854/early 1855 and closed on 7th August 1967.
I    

back to top

Icknield Port Road station LNWR Icknield Port Road Station opened in 1874 and closed in 1931. No goods facilities were provided.  
K    

back to top

Kenilworth station LNWR Kenilworth station opened on 9th December 1844. The station was close to goods traffic on 4 January 1965 and passenger traffic on 18th January 1965.    
Kenilworth Junction LNWR Kenilworth Junction on 2nd March 1884 and was closed on 1st March 1969 when the line to Berkswell was lifted.
Kineton station S&MJR Kineton station opened on 1st June 1871 as the temporary terminus for the Blisworth - Kineton route. On 1st July 1873 the line to Stratford upon Avon was opened but services were suspended from 31st July 1877 until 22nd March 1885. Passenger services at Kineton were finally withdrawn on 7th April 1952 and goods services on the 11th November 1963.
Kingswood station (later Lapworth) GWR Opened as Kingswood station in 1854. Renamed Lapworth station on 1st May 1902. The station remains open but the goods yard closed on 11th November 1963.
Kingsbury station MR Kingsbury station opened on 12th August 1839. Closed on 4th March 1968.
Kingsbury Junction MR Opened in 1909.
Kings Heath station MR Opened in 1840 as Moseley station. With the MR building of Moseley station proper in 1867, the station name changed to Kings Heath - more appropriate given its location. The station was, along with the others on this line, closed in 1941 as a 'wartime economy measure', and never reopened although goods traffic continued until May 1965.
Kings Norton station MR The current Kings Norton station is the second station to be built in the Kings Norton area. The original Lifford railway station (the first of three stations to bear the Lifford name) was first built on what is now the Camp Hill Line. Kings Norton station opened to passengers in 1849. Remains open. Goods traffic ceased in 1960s.
Knowle & Dorridge station GWR Knowle & Dorridge station opened on 1st October 1852. It remains open for Passengers. The station closed to goods traffic on 7th September 1964.
L    

back to top

Lapworth station (née Kingswood) GWR Opened as Kingswood station in 1854. Renamed Lapworth station on 1st May 1902. The station remains open but the goods yard closed on 11th November 1963.    
Lawley street station LNWR Lawley Street station opened on the 1st October 1854 and was closed on the 1st March 1869.
Lawley Street station MR Lawley Street station opened on 10th February 1842 and closed for passengers on 1st March 1851.
Lawley Street Goods Depot MR Lawley Street Goods Depot opened in June 1842. Remains open.
Lea Hall station LMS Lea Hall station was opened by the LMS on 1st May 1939. Remains open.
Leamington Avenue station LNWR Leamington Avenue station opened in February 1854 and closed to passenger traffic on 18th January 1965.
Leamington (Milverton) station LNWR The original station station opened on 6th December 1844. During its life the station was known by eight different names:
Leamington in 1844
Warwick (Milverton) in 1854
Warwick in 1856
Warwick (Milverton) in 1857
Leamington Milverton (Warwick) in 1875
Milverton (for Warwick) in 1876
Warwick (Milverton) in 1884
and finally Leamington Spa (Milverton) for Warwick in 1952.
The station's status changed in 1883 from being a terminus station to a through station when its location moved from one side of the bridge to the other on the opening of the line to Leamington Avenue and on to Rugby. Part of the original station was used for goods services.
Closed to passenger services on 18th January 1965.
Leamington station GWR Leamington station open for passenger traffic in 1854. Remains open. Closed to goods traffic on 19th May 1969.
Lifford station MR Due to the opening of the Birmingham West Suburban Railway in 1876 and then later its upgrading by the Midland Railway to main line status, there were three incarnations of Lifford station. The first was built on what is now the Camp Hill Line, the second on the Lifford Canal branch and the third was situated very close to the original site on the Camp Hill line. Opening in 1885, some 45 years after the railway itself, the third and final incarnation of Lifford station had its passenger services withdrawn in 1941 as a 'wartime economy measure', never to return. The station opened the year the second station closed to passengers and some forty-one years after the closure of the first Lifford station.
Longdon Road station GWR Longdon Road station opened to steam hauled passenger trains on 1st July 1889 after the GWR had obtained permission to run the line with steam trains. Passenger services ended on 8th July 1929 whilst goods traffic remained until 2nd May 1960.
Longford & Exhall station LNWR The station was opened in 1850 at the same time as Coventry to Nuneaton Line, built by the London and North Western Railway. It was the first to be closed on the branch closing on 23rd May 1949.
Long Marston station GWR Long Marston station opened on 12th July 1859, the same time as the section of line between Honeybourne and Stratford upon Avon opened. It closed to passenger services on 3rd January 1966 and to goods traffic on 1st July 1963.
Longbridge Junction   Branch line lifted  
M    

back to top

Marston Green station LNWR It has been stated that from opening of the line there were arrangements where by on an ad-hoc basis some services would call prior to there being a platform. The decision to open a station at Marston Green was officially sanctioned by the newly formed LNWR in October 1844 with a platform and booking hut authorised the following month. It remains open for passenger services. It was closed to goods traffic in the 1960s.    
Marton station LNWR Marton station opened on 1st March 1851 one of two intermediate stations on the single line route to Leamington. The station had several name changes:
Marton for Southam on 1st July 1853,
Marton in October 1860
Marton for Southam in January 1877
before finally reverting again to Marton on 1st August 1895.
The station remained open until the withdrawal of passenger services on the line on 15th June 1958 for whilst the goods services continued on until 3 July 1961.
Marton Junction LNWR Marton Junction opened on 1st August 1895 when the branch to Weeden opened. Despite the closure of the Rugby line from Marton Junction to Leamington and the Weedon branch from Southan & Long Itchington to Daventry, the junction lasted in service for exactly 100 years closing on 1st August 1995.
Maxstoke station (née Coleshill) MR Maxstoke/Coleshill station opened on 5th August 1839 on 1st January 1917 when war time economy measures enabled the MR to enact legislation that the line closed to passenger traffic. Still in use for occasional goods traffic in 1923 the station was renamed Maxstoke, with Forge Mills being renamed Coleshill. On 12th January 1935 the branch line was cut in half when the timber bridge over the River Blythe was certified as too weak to support a train. Coleshill or now Maxstoke still had a goods service until 30 April 1939 when the line was used to store crippled wagons.
Milcote station GWR Milcote station opened on the 12th July 1859 on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway's single line branch from Honeybourne to Stratford Upon Avon. The station was enlarged in May 1908 when the line was doubled as part of the GWR's route to the South West. The station closed to goods traffic on 1st July 1963 and to passengers on 3rd January 1966.
Milverton for Warwick station LNWR The original station station opened on 6th December 1844. During its life the station was known by eight different names:
Leamington in 1844
Warwick (Milverton) in 1854
Warwick in 1856
Warwick (Milverton) in 1857
Leamington Milverton (Warwick) in 1875
Milverton (for Warwick) in 1876
Warwick (Milverton) in 1884
and finally Leamington Spa (Milverton) for Warwick in 1952.
The station's status changed in 1883 from being a terminus station to a through station when its location moved from one side of the bridge to the other on the opening of the line to Leamington Avenue and on to Rugby. Part of the original station was used for goods services.
Closed to passenger services on 18th January 1965.
Monument Lane station LNWR Monument Lane station was opened on the Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Stour Valley Railway on 1st January 1852, initially as the temporary terminus prior to the opening of the tunnel to New Street station. The station closed to passenger traffic in 1958.
Moor Street station GWR Moor Street station in a temporary form first opened in July 1909 as part of the initiative to open a route to the South West viathe North Warwickshire Railway. The station was fully opened, complete with goods shed, on 7th January 1914. The goods shed closed on 6th November 1972. In 1987 the station was relocated, through platforms opened, terminal platforms closed. In 2002 the station was renovated and in 2010 the terminal platforms were reopened.
Moreton in Marsh station GWR Moreton-in-Marsh station was originally the headquarters of the Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford upon Avon Tramway which opened on 5th September 1826. The station was opened by the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway (OWW) on 4 June 1853. It remains open to passengers. Goods traffic closed in the 1960s.
Moseley station MR There have been two Moseley stations, both located on the Camp Hill line. The first station changed its name to Kings Heath when this, the second station, was opened by the Midland Railway in 1867. The station had its passenger services withdrawn in 1941 as a 'wartime economy measure', which were never to return. No goods facilities were provided.
N    

back to top

Napton & Stockton station LNWR Napton & Stockton station opened on 1st August 1895 and remained open until it closed to passenger traffic on 15th September 1958 with its goods service being withdrawn on 2nd December 1963.    
North End Halt S&MJR North End, thought to have been of timber framed construction, was another short lived station, opening on 1st June 1871 and closing 31st July 1877 when passenger services between Blisworth and Stratford upon Avon were suspended.
Northfield station MR The station was opened on 1st September 1870 by the Midland Railway. In 1892, the line through Northfield was quadrupled. The station remains open to passengers. Goods traffic ceased in the 1960s.
Nuneaton Abbey Street station MR The original Midland Railway station in Nuneaton opened for passenger services via Whitacre on 1st November 1864 and for goods services on 1st December 1864. With the opening of the Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Committee line to Moira and Coalville the MR's second station in Nuneaton was opened on 1st September 1873. The new station was situated 150 yards further to the East of the original station. The station was closed to passenger services on 4th March 1964.
Nuneaton Trent Valley station LNWR Nuneaton Trent Valley station opened as Nuneaton station on 15th September 1847. To avoid confusion with Nuneaton Abbey Street station the LMS renamed the station as Nuneaton station Trent Valley on 2nd June 1924. The station remains open to passengers. Goods traffic closed during the 1960s.
O    

back to top

Offchurch Cutting LNWR Offchurch Cutting opened on 1st March 1851. Regular passenger services on the Rugby to Leamington line were withdrawn in June 1959 (although diverted passenger services occasionally used the line after this date). General goods traffic lasted a few years longer but the line closed as a through route in the mid-1960s.    
Olton station GWR Olton station, located on the GWR's Oxford & Birmingham extension, opened in 1869. It remains open for passengers. The station closed to goods traffic on 6th July 1964.
P    

back to top

Pebworth Halt GWR Pebworth Halt opened as a simple two-platform facility on 6th September 1937 and survived until 3rd January 1966. No goods facilities were provided. This was the second station in the near vicinity as 'Broad Marston Halte' had existed for a brief time from 17th October 1904 to 14th July 1916 being closed by wartime (First World War) emergency measures.    
Penns station MR Penns station, on the Midland Railway's Walsall to Water Orton line, opened in 1879 and was closed in 1965 as part of the Beeching cuts. Goods traffic ceased in the 1960s.
Perry Barr station LNWR Perry Bar station was opened by the Grand Junction Railway on the line from Vauxhall to Stafford on 4th July 1837. For the nearly sixty years it carried the name Perry Bar station until 29th August 1894 when the extra 'r' was added to become Perry Barr station. The station remains open today, albeit in a different form, so it can claim to be one of the oldest stations in the county and Midlands.
Perry Barr North Junction LNWR Open
Polesworth station LNWR Polesworth station was opened with the line in 1847 by the London and North-Western Railway. The station remains open for passengers.
R    

back to top

Redditch station MR The first passenger station was a terminus and opened on 19th September 1859 and was located at Clive Road. It was made redundant when the line was extended south to Evesham on 4th May 1868 and a new station was built a little to the south of the original. This station lasted until 7th February 1972 when it too was replaced. A third station was opened on 5th October 1992. Goods services closed in the 1960s.    
Rotton Park station LNWR Rotton Park station opened on the Harborne Railway in 1874 and closed to passengers in 1934. No goods facilities were provided.
Rowington Junction GWR Opening on 6th June 1894 Rowington Junction was formed when the branch to Henley-in-Arden opened. The opening of the North Warwickshire line in 1908 made the branch superfluous although passenger traffic from Lapworth station continued until the First World War intervened. Passengers services officially ceased on 1st January 1915 the branch line being substantally lifted in May 1917. A section of the branch was retained as a long siding to store crippled wagons until 9th June 1969 when the Junction was taken out of use.
Rugby Central station L&NER Rugby station (later Rugby Central station when taken into British Railways ownership) was opened by the Great Central Railway (GCR) on 15 March 1899. The GCR's route to London was closed on 5th September 1966, the line to the south of Rugby and north of Nottingham being closed. The section between Rugby Central and Nottingham (initially Nottingham Victoria, later cut back to Nottingham Arkwright Street) remained open as self-contained branch carrying a DMU operated local passenger service until 3rd May 1969 with the station closing formally on 5th May 1969.
Rugby station LNWR The first railway station was a wooden temporary structure located around half a mile to the west of the present station. It opened in 1838 when the London and Birmingham Railway was constructed. This station lasted only a few years as when a junction was made with the Midland Counties Railway in 1840 a new station was built again being a temporary wooden structure. It was rebuilt in brick in 1850. This second station lasted until the 1880s, when a new line from Rugby to Northampton was built, and a third station was erected which opened in 1885. Subsequently as part of the West Coast Main Line modernisation programme, major track restructuring work was carried out to allow higher speed running through Rugby; three new platforms were added, along with a new ticket office and entrance. Work began in September 2006 and was completed late in 2008.
S    

back to top

Salford Priors station MR Salford Priors station was opened for goods traffic on 16th June 1866 and for passenger traffic on 17th September 1866. The station officially closed on 17th September 1963 although the last train to run was on 1st October 1962 with a bus service replacing the train service until the line's closure conformed to legal requirements.    
Saltley station MR Saltley station was opened on 1st October 1854 on the Midland Railway's Birmingham New Street to Water Orton line. It was rebuilt in 1899 as an island platform station. It closed to all traffic in 1968.
Sancta Lane Halt GWR Sancta Lane was the site of the OWWR´s (Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway) branch terminus and was only operational for a very brief period of time, from 12th July 1859 to 24th July 1861. Closed Goods 24th July 1861
Selly Oak station MR Selly Oak station opened in 1876 on the Midland Railway's Birmingham West Suburban Railway branch to serve the suburbs of Selly Oak and Bournbrook. The station remains open for passenger services but was completely rebuilt in 1978.
Shilton station LNWR It was opened on 15th September 1847 initially operating a limited service becoming fully operational on 1st December 1847. The station was closed to passenger traffic on 16th September 1957 and to goods traffic in 1965.
Shipston on Stour station GWR Shipston-on-Stour station was first opened on 11th February 1836 as a branch line terminus of the horse-drawn Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford upon Avon Tramway. On 1st July 1889 the station became a part of the GWR and remained open until 8th July 1929 when it closed to passenger services and 2nd May 1960 when it closed to goods traffic.
Shirley station GWR The station was built in 1908, complete with small goods yard with goods shed. It remains open for passenger services but closed to general goods traffic on 6th July 1964 and to coal traffic on 6th May 1968.
Shustoke station MR Shustoke station was opened on 1st November 1864 as part of the Midland Railway's Nuneaton to Birmingham route. The station was closed on 4th March 1968. Goods traffic ceased in the 1960s.
Small Heath station GWR Small Heath station was opened by the GWR in 1863 as 'Small Heath and Sparkbrook'. It remains open to passenger services. Its goods facilities were closed during the 1960s.
Snow Hill station GWR Birmingham Snow Hill station was opened by the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway on 1st October 1852. It was originally called Birmingham station, its name was changed to Great Charles Street station, and then Livery Street station before finally becoming Birmingham Snow Hill station in February 1858. The station finally closed to passengers on 6 March 1972. The station reopened on 5th October 1987 and on 31st May 1999 the Midland Metro opened. No Goods facilities were provided.
Soho station LNWR Soho station, located on the Stour Valley line, opened in 1867 and was closed to passengers on 23rd May 1949. Goods facilities ceased in the 1960s.
Soho East Junction LNWR Open
Soho Road station LNWR Soho Road station opened in 1889 on a new stretch of line laid between the LNWR's New Street to Wolverhampton High Level and their New Street to Walsall (the old Grand Junction) routes. Soho Road was built to compete with the GWR's more direct route between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. The station was closed during the Second World War as part of wartime economy measures never to be reopened.
Soho Soap Junction LNWR Open
Soho & Winson Green station GWR Soho & Winson Green station opened on the Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Dudley Railway’s mixed gauge line as Soho station on 14th November 1854. In May 1893 the station name was changed to Soho & Winson Green. The station closed to goods traffic on 1st November 1971 and to passenger traffic on 6th March 1972
Solihull station GWR Solihull station, opened in 1852, was located on the GWR's Oxford & Birmingham Branch. It remains open for passenger services. Goods traffic closed in the 1960s.
Somerset Road station MR Somerset Road station, on the Midland Railway's Birmingham West Suburban Railway, was opened in 1876 but closed in 1930 due to lack of patronage.
Southam Road & Harbury station GWR Southam Road & Harbury station, on the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway, opened on 1st October 1852. The station closed to goods traffic on 11th November 1963 and to passenger services on 2nd November 1964.
Southam & Long Itchington station LNWR Southam & Long Itchington station opened on 1st August 1895. The station closed with the withdrawal of passengers services on the Leamington to Weedon route on 15th September 1958. However due to its close proximity to the cement works the goods service remained open until 5th July 1965.
Spring Road Halt GWR Spring Road was opened as a Platform on 1st July 1908. The station remains open today. No goods facilities were provided.
Staverton Road Signal Cabin L&NER Staverton Road signal cabin opened for passenger traffic on 15th March 1899, and for goods traffic on 11 April 1899. The signal cabin closed when most of the Great Central Mainline was closed on 5th September 1966.
Stechford station LNWR Stechford station was opened on the London to Birmingham line by the newly formed London North Western Railway in 1844. It remains open today for passenger services. Its exchange sidings and goods yard closed in the 1960s.
Stockingford station MR Stockingford station opened on 1st November 1864 as part of the Midland Railway's Nuneaton to Birmingham route. The station closed to passengers on 4th March 1968. Goods traffic closed in the 1960s.
Stratford Old Town station S&MJR Stratford Old Town station, opened on 1st July 1873, was built by the Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway. The station closed to passengers on 7th April 1952 due to the close proximity of the GWR station. The station remained open to freight traffic until 1965.
Stratford on Avon station GWR Stratford Upon Avon had three standard gauge stations associated with the GWR or companies under its influence. Two were termini of branches and one, the current station, a through station which itself has been subject to alterations to its layout over the years. Initially two branch lines served the town each with their own terminus. The first station to open was just south of the current station at Sancta Lane being the site of the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway's (OWWR) branch terminus which was only operational for a very brief period of time, from 12 July 1859 to 24 July 1861. The second station located on the Birmingham Road, opened on 9th October 1860, was just to the north of the current station and served the Stratford Railway Company's branch line from Hatton to Stratford Upon Avon, a spur off the GWR's Oxford to Birmingham route. The obvious advantage of joining the two branch lines was quickly recognised and the current station was opened on 24 July 1861 with the Birmingham Road station being relegated to goods traffic and the occasional excursion traffic, the latter ceasing in 1869. The station remains open today, albeit now truncated as a terminus, for passenger services. It was closed to goods traffic on 1st January 1963 and to coal traffic on 6th May 1968.
Stratford Race Course Platform GWR Stratford-on-Avon Racecourse's opened on the 6th May and closed to passengers on 25th March 1968. No Goods facilities were provided.
Streetly station MR Streetly station was opened on 1st July 1879 by the Midland Railway on its Walsall to Water Orton Branch line. The station closed in January 1965. No Goods facilities were provided.
Stretton on Fosse station GWR Stretton-on- Fosse as a station did not first appear in the timetables when the line re-opened on 1st July 1889 when the GWR took ownership of the line. However passenger trains did call by request at the adjacent Golden Cross Inn until the station was completed in November 1892. The station closed to passenger services on 8th July 1929 and to goods traffic in May 1941.
Studley & Astwood station MR Studley and Astwood Bank station was situated 3 miles and 11 chains from Redditch and opened on 4th May 1868 to both passenger and goods traffic. The station closed on 17th June 1963 prior to the closure of the line on 6th July 1964.
Sutton Coldfield station LNWR Sutton Coldfield station was opened on 2nd June 1862, as the northern terminus of the branch line from Aston built by the London and North Western Railway. An extension to Lichfield City opened to goods traffic in September 1884 and to passenger traffic on 15th December 1884. Goods facilities were withdrawn from Sutton Coldfield on 1st May 1967. The station remains open for passenger services.
Sutton Park station MR Sutton Park station, opened in 1879, was located on the Midland Railway's Walsall to Water Orton branch. The station was closed in 1965. Goods traffic closed in the 1960s.
Sutton Town station MR Sutton Town station opened in 1879 on the then Midland Railway's Walsall to Water Orton route and closed in 1924 shortly after grouping. No Goods facilities were provided.
T    

back to top

Tamworth High Level station MR Tamworth High Level station opened on 12th August 1839. The station remains open for passenger services. Goods facilities were withdrawn in the 1960s.    
Tamworth Low Level station LNWR Tamworth Low Level station opened in 1847 and remains open for passenger services. Goods facilities were withdrawn in the 1960s.
The Lakes Halt GWR The Lakes Halt opened on 3rd June 1935 and remains open for passenger services. No Goods facilities were provided.
Three Spires Junction LNWR Three Spires Junction on 16th August 1914. The line closed in 1981 with the loss of the Chrysler traffic to Linwood in Scotland.
Tile Hill station LNWR The station was initially named Allesley Lane station when it opened in 1850. In 1857 it was renamed as Allesley Gate reflecting perhaps that it was a station with a level crossing and the need to differentiate its location from Allesley Lane which was not local. It finally received its Tile Hill name in 1864 and it remains open for passenger services. Goods facilities were withdrawn in the 1960s.
Tyseley station GWR Tyseley station opened in 1906 and remains open for passenger services. Its once extensive goods traffic closed on 9th September 1968.
V    

back to top

Vauxhall & Duddeston station LNWR Originally opened as Vauxhall station in 1837 the station served as the temporary terminus of the Grand Junction Railway from Liverpool via Stafford. When the permanent terminus opened at Curzon Street station in 1839, Vauxhall station became a goods-only station until it was rebuilt a little further to the north and re-opened in 1869. It was renamed Vauxhall and Duddeston station in 1889 before finally becoming Duddeston station on 6 May 1974 and it remains open for passenger services.  
W    

back to top

Warwick station GWR Warwick station was opened on 1st October 1852 as one of the original stations on the Broad Gauge route between Oxford and Birmingham. It remains open today for passenger services. It closed for goods traffic on 31st January 1969.    
Warwick Milverton station LNWR The original station station opened on 6th December 1844. During its life the station was known by eight different names:
Leamington in 1844
Warwick (Milverton) in 1854
Warwick in 1856
Warwick (Milverton) in 1857
Leamington Milverton (Warwick) in 1875
Milverton (for Warwick) in 1876
Warwick (Milverton) in 1884
and finally Leamington Spa (Milverton) for Warwick in 1952.
The station's status changed in 1883 from being a terminus station to a through station when its location moved from one side of the bridge to the other on the opening of the line to Leamington Avenue and on to Rugby. Part of the original station was used for goods services.
Closed to passenger services on 18th January 1965.
Washwood Heath Sidings MR Washwood Heath Sidings was first opened by the Midland Railway to serve their needs in the Birmingham area in October 1877. Washwood Heath Sidings were to be found between Bromford Bridge station and Saltley station on the Birmingham to Derby line. Closed
Water Orton station MR Water Orton station was originally built by the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway (B&DJR) and opened on 16th May 1842. However the Midland Railway built a cutoff line from slightly further west to a junction at Kingsbury in 1909 and the station was resited. It remains open today for passenger services. Goods services closed in the 1960s.
Whitacre Junction station MR The original Whitacre station was opened on 10th February 1842 by the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway some thirty-one months after the route from Derby to Hampton was opened. On 1st November 1864 the line between Birmingham to Nuneaton was opened and the original B&DJR Whitacre station was closed being replaced by a new station. The station was closed to passenger services on 4th March 1968. No goods facilities were provided.
Whitlocks End Halt GWR Whitlocks End Halt was opened in 1936 on the North Warwickshire Railway and remains open for passenger services today. No goods facilities were provided.
Widney Manor station GWR Widney Manor Station, located between Knowle & Dorridge and Solihull, was opened on 1st July 1899. and remains open for passenger services today. The station closed to goods services on 6th May 1963.
Wilmecote station GWR Wilmecote's first station opened on 9th October 1860 on the Stratford-on-Avon Railway which ran from Hatton to Stratford upon Avon. The second station opened on the otherside of the road bridge, when the line was doubled as part of the GWR's extension to the South East. It remains open today for passenger services. Goods traffic closed on 11th November 1963
Wilnecote station MR Wilnecote station, opened in May 1842 by the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway, was initially named Wilnecote and Fazeley station. Its name was changed to Wilnecote in 1904. The station remains open to passenger services although it is now unstaffed. The station also had a goods yard provided with a goods shed and a number of sidings.
Winson Green station LNWR Winson Green station, opened in 1876, was built by the LNWR on their Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Stour Valley Railway. The station closed to passengers in 1957. No goods facilities were provided.
Witton station LNWR Witton station opened in two phases: to passengers on 1st May 1876 and for goods in 1887. It was built by the LNWR on the former Grand Junction Railway line which ran between Vauxhall, later Curzon Street, to the original Wolverhampton station re-named Wednesfield Heath in 1855. The station remains open to passenger services. No goods facilities were made available.
Wixford station MR Wixford station was opened on 17th September 1866 as a temporary station but was later made permanent by the MR. The station closed earlier than most on the line with both passengers and goods traffic ceasing on 2nd January 1950.
Wood End Halt GWR Wood End Platform was opened on 1st July 1908 when the line was first opened for passenger traffic. The suffix Platform was removed on 7th July 1924 when it was simply described as Wood End. The station remains open to passenger services. No goods facilities were made available.
Wooton Wawen Platform GWR Wooten Wawen was another original 1908 station built by the GWR as part of their expansion plans of opening up a new route to the South West by constructing the North Warwickshire Railway. The station remains open to passenger services. No goods facilities were made available.
Wythall Halt GWR Initially named Grimes Hill Halt when first opened to passengers on 1st June 1908 when the North Warwickshire Railway first became operational to passenger traffic, it was later renamed Grimes Hill & Wythall Halt on 12th July 1914 and then again on 11th July 1927 when it was renamed Grimes Hill & Wythall Platform. The station remains open to passenger services. No goods facilities were made available.
Wylde Green station LNWR Wylde Green station, opened on 2nd June 1862, was built by the LNWR as part of their extension to Sutton Coldfield. The station remains open to passenger services.
Y    

back to top

Yardley Wood station GWR Yardley Wood, opened 1st June 1908, was the third station along the North Warwickshire line from Tyseley and due to the level of facilities provided was obviously considered by the GWR to to offer potential for future growth. The station remains open to passenger services. No goods facilities were made available.