Kineton Station was opened on 1st June 1871 and for two
years was the temporary terminus for the Blisworth - Kineton route. On 1st July
1873 the line to Stratford upon Avon was opened but within a few years the
route closed to passenger traffic due to the low volume of traffic. The rural
nature of the route without much of a population living along the line was the
reason and it wasn't until the extension from Stratford upon Avon to Broom
opened that a passenger service returned.
Passenger services were therefore suspended from 31st July
1877 until 22nd March 1885 although the initial service of six daily trains had
by 1876 been reduced to two in each direction. The traffic through Kineton had
a fillip with the opening of the GCR which offered residents of Stratford upon
Avon a shorter and quicker route than via the GWR. Passenger services at
Kineton were finally withdrawn on 7th April 1952 whilst goods services at the
station lasted until 11th November 1963 with all through services being
withdrawn officially in 1966.
Select an image below to view the larger version with