·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington

Longford & Exhall

The station was built by the London and North Western Railway and opened on 2nd September 1850 at the same time as the other stations on the Coventry to Nuneaton Line (with the exception of Daimler Halt which only serviced workmen from the adjacent Daimler factory). Longford & Exhall station only handled passenger traffic, because with the absence of local industries generating commercial traffic, both Bedworth and Foleshill stations were near enough to cover any ad hoc need for goods traffic. The station was built on an embankment being accessed from the Nuneaton end of the station by a footpath leading down from the up (Coventry) platform to Station Road, and from the down (Nuneaton) platform, via steps to Woodshires Road. The bridge at the Nuneaton end of the station forming the boundary between the two roads. The platforms were lengthened, constructed by using timber, in the first decade of the 20th century appearing in their lengthened form for the first time on the 1912 Ordnance Survey map. The station buildings, erected in 1850, were typical low-cost structures being built using timber and to a design which pre-dates the 'standardised' modular LNWR designs. The station was the first on the branch to succumb to the competition of public transport being closed on 23rd May 1949.

Looking along Longford & Exhall's up platform towards Nuneaton with the booking office at the end on the right
Ref: lnwr_le3416
Lens of Sutton
Looking along Longford & Exhall's up platform towards Nuneaton with the booking office at the end on the right
Close up showing the basic timber buildings provided by the LNWR on both Longford & Exhall station's platforms
Ref: lnwr_le3416a
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the basic timber buildings provided by the LNWR on both Longford & Exhall station's platforms
Looking from the bridge towards Foleshill with Coventry Gas Work's Gasometers in the distance on the right
Ref: lnwr_le3420
GJ Biddle
Looking from the bridge towards Foleshill with Coventry Gas Work's Gasometers in the distance on the right
A close up showing the main buildings on the station's up platform one year after closure and prior to demolition
Ref: lnwr_le3420a
GJ Biddle
A close up of the buildings on the station's up platform one year after closure and prior to demolition
Looking from the Nuneaton end of the former station towards Foleshill with the Gasometers still dominating the skyline
Ref: lnwr_le3417
G Edmands
Looking from the Nuneaton end of the former station towards Foleshill with the Gasometers on the right

Looking from the Coventry end of the station towards Nuneaton with just part of the brick platform left in situ
Ref: lnwr_le3419
G Edmands
Looking from the Coventry end of the station towards Nuneaton with just part of the brick platform left in situ
Looking towards Bedworth with the Nuneaton to Coventry line passing over the Longford Road circa 1920
Ref: lnwr_le1482
Coventry Library Local Studies
Looking towards Bedworth with the Nuneaton to Coventry line passing over the Longford Road circa 1920
Close up showing a Coventry tram proceeding under Longford Bridge towards the city centre
Ref: lnwr_le1482a
Coventry Library Local Studies
Close up showing a Coventry tram proceeding under Longford Road Bridge towards the city centre
Close up showing the sign warning passengers on the open top tram cars to remain seated under the bridge
Ref: lnwr_le1482b
Coventry Library Local Studies
Close up showing the sign warning passengers on the open top tram cars to remain seated under the bridge
Close up showing an unidentified LNWR 4-4-0 locomotive at the head of a Coventry to Nuneaton local passenger service
Ref: lnwr_le1482c
Coventry Library Local Studies
Close up of an unidentified LNWR 4-4-0 locomotive at the head of a local passenger service to Nuneaton

Ordnance Survey Maps and Control Strips

A 1902 Ordnance Survey map of Longford & Exhall Station showing the original platforms prior to them being extended
Ref: lnwr_le3418
National Library of Scotland
A 1902 Ordnance Survey map of Longford & Exhall Station showing the original platforms prior to them being extended
A 1912 Ordnance Survey map of Longford & Exhall Station showing the platforms having been extended
Ref: lnwr_le3421
National Library of Scotland
A 1912 Ordnance Survey map of Longford & Exhall Station showing the platforms having been extended
A 1936 OS map of the station and the three sidings used as part of marshalling traffic for the Wyken Colliery
Ref: lnwr_le3422
National Library of Scotland
A 1936 OS map of the station and the three sidings used as part of marshalling traffic for the Wyken Colliery
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route from Nuneaton to Coventry plus the Loop Line
Ref: lnwrmap108
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route from Nuneaton to Coventry plus the Loop Line
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Nuneaton No 1 Signal Box and Coventry No 3 Signal Box
Ref: lnwrmap112
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map of the route between Nuneaton No 1 Signal Box and Coventry No 3 signal box

A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Longford & Exhall station and Hawkesbury Lane station
Ref: lnwrmap109
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map of the route between Longford & Exhall station and Hawkesbury Lane station