Monument Lane station was opened by the LNWR on their New
Street - Wolverhampton High Level 'Stour Valley' line in 1854 and, along with
the passenger station, facilities were also provided for a sizeable goods yard
and loco shed. The station is especially interesting as it was maintained after
closure to passengers as a ticketing stop as New Street was classed as an 'open
station' (access to it being a public right-of-way) and so no ticket control
was provided there. Thus, stations immediately ringing New Street were used for
boarding trains and inspecting and/or selling passengers tickets (Five Ways was
also retained in this manner). Furthermore, the Harborne Railway joined the
LNWR line at Harborne Junction just along the line from this station and its
trains used to stop here on their way to New Street thus it was an 'honorary'
fifth station on the Harborne Railway before its destination at New Street. The
station closed in 1958.