Stretton on Fosse Station
Select an image below to view the larger version with
Situated some 4 miles 12 chains from Moreton-in-Marsh,
Stretton-on-Fosse was a small, single-platform station with a small,
prefabricated building which, according to Messrs. Jenkins and Carpenter, was
'similar to others erected at Various places throughout the GWR system during
the 1880s'. The passenger platform was about 170 feet long with a small cottage
adjacent for the railway staff and families. Platform equipment included a
single bench seat, two station nameboards (later reduced to one) and a
selection of porter's barrows. Stretton-on- Fosse as a station did not first
appear in the timetables when the line re-opened in July 1889 but passenger
trains did call by request at the adjacent Golden Cross Inn until the station
was completed in November 1892.
They continue, 'the station was served by a single,
dead-end siding which could accommodate approximately six short-wheel base
wagons and which was accessed by a two-lever ground frame locked by a key
attached to the wooden train staff. Because the siding trailed in the down
direction, it was normally accessed by trains bound for Shipston-on-Stour.
However, southbound trains were permitted to stop short of the siding in order
that loaded wagons could be detached. The locomotive and passenger vehicle(s)
would then draw forward into the platform and, after the guard had operated the
points, the wagons were gravitated into the goods yard'.