·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Hagley Road Station

LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Harborne

Opening on 10th August 1874 Hagley Road station was the only intermediate station to posses a goods yard and coal wharf. A simple affair with short single siding, they were located at the Birmingham end of the station and on the same side of the track. Access was via Station Avenue which was located behind the station. It is believed that the siding was controlled by a ground frame which required a token to be operated. Hagley Road station was at the top of a hill requiring trains to climb an incline of 1:66 from both Harborne and Rotton Park. Unlike Icknield Port Road and Rotton Park Road stations, Hagley Road station remained open, albeit only to goods traffic, beyond 26th November 1934 when passengers services were withdrawn. The station closed with the closure of the branch on 4th November 1963.

Select an image below to view the larger version with accompanying text:

LMS railway photo
Ref: lnwrhr66
Postcard
Looking from Hagley Road towards Rotton Park with the station's single line platform and goods yard on the left
Close up illustrating how the Harborne Railway Company exploited its position by selling advertising space
Ref: lnwrhr66a
Postcard
Close up illustrating how the Harborne Railway Company exploited its position by selling advertising space
Close up showing the single storey building with its unusual canopy cantilevered from the roof
Ref: lnwrhr66b
Postcard
Close up showing the single storey building with its unusual canopy cantilevered from the roof
Close up showing Hagley Road station's small goods yard and coal wharf equipped with a short single siding
Ref: lnwrhr66c
Postcard
Close up showing Hagley Road station's small goods yard and coal wharf equipped with a short single siding
Looking from the goods yard towards Hagley Road bridge and Harborne on a cold and damp Winter's day
Ref: lnwrhr65
RS Carpenter
Looking from the goods yard towards Hagley Road bridge and Harborne on a cold and damp Winter's day

Close up showing Hagley Road station's modified main station building and the extra passenger waiting room
Ref: lnwrhr65a
RS Carpenter
Close up showing Hagley Road station's modified main station building and the extra passenger waiting room
Looking towards Rotton Park Road showing the loop and coal siding and the distance signal on 12th April 1940
Ref: lnwrhr2215
AW Camwell
Looking towards Rotton Park Road showing the loop and coal siding and the distance signal on 12th April 1940
Map showing the location of Hagley Road station in relation to Stanmore Road and Station Avenue
Ref: hagley_road_map
Andy Doherty
Map showing the location of Hagley Road station in relation to Stanmore Road and Station Avenue
Ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-2T Coal Tank No 7742, running bunker first, on the 1:50pm Harborne to New Street service
Ref: lnwrhr64
PB Whitehouse
Ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-2T Coal Tank No 7742, running bunker first, on the 1:50pm Harborne to New Street service
Ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-2T No 7742, is seen running bunker first on 22nd November 1934  on a New Street service
Ref: lnwrhr2216
AW Camwell
Ex-LNWR 2F 0-6-2T No 7742, is seen running bunker first on 22nd November 1934 on a New Street service