·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Routes

LMS Route: Coventry Loop Line

Coventry Loop Line was built to divert goods traffic away from the congested lines through Coventry station and onto Rugby main line. The line first opened, on 16th August 1914, from the Three Spires Junction end of the branch which was located on the Nuneaton to Coventry line. The line ran through from Three Spires Junction to Humber Road Junction on the Coventry to Rugby line, the latter junction not being opened until circa 1916. The goods line served Gosford Green Goods Yard, Coventry Wholesale Market, Coventry Ordnance Depot, and Bell Green Goods Yard. There were no scheduled passenger services on the route and it was only very rarely used for passenger services - specials or diversions during engineering works - the number of passenger specials could be counted on one hand. The junction at Humber Road was severed on 7th October 1963 as part of the electrification of the West Coast Main Line. From this date to closure it was worked as a long siding to Gosford Green principally for traffic related to Chrysler's Scottish Linwood plant. We have included in the text below the various instructions British Railways enforced when the line was worked as a long siding. The line closed in 1981 with the loss of this traffic was subsequently lifted; much of the line now being the route a by-pass.

Martin Kavanagh writes 'Colin Maggs in his book Branch Lines of Warwickshire quotes a Willesden-Manchester freight as being the last ever through train to traverse the Loop Line but Geoffrey Hurst in his book LNWR Branch Lines of West Leicestershire & East Warwickshire tells an interesting story around Humber Road Junction – Gosford Green closing on Sunday 7th October 1963, due to be taken out of use on Sunday 13 October 1963, however a Carlisle – Willesden goods derailment blocked the West Coast Main Line and some traffic was diverted over the Loop Line'.

Working the Coventry Loop Line as a branch line post 1963

Method of working. The down and up goods line between Three Spires Junction and Gosford Green are under the control of the Signalman at Three Spires Junction box and Absolute conditions apply. Protection of trains stopped by accident, etc and Failure of Communications. Trains stopped by accident, failure, obstruction or other exceptional cause must be protected in accordance with the provisions of the rule book, Section M. Should there be no communication between the Signalman at Three Spires Junction box and Gosford Green, a train must not be allowed to proceed on the up goods line from Three Spires Junction until the time usually taken by the preceding train to clear the section plus an allowance for a train having been stopped and having to run at reduced speed. Should the Guard of a down train waiting to depart from Gosford Green be unable to contact the Signalman at Three Spires Junction he may authorise the train to depart after the time usually taken by the preceding train has elapsed and he has advised the Driver of the failure and instructed him to travel at caution stopping at Bell Green, if necessary.

Three Spires Junction

Three Spires Junction was situated on the Coventry to Nuneaton Line where the Coventry Loop Line branched off to avoid Coventry Station, rejoining the L & B line further south at Humber Road junction. It was also the location where sidings were located to handle the coal traffic originating from the coal fields located between Coventry & Bedworth.

Ex-LNWR 0-8-0 'G1' No 8892 blows off steam whilst shunting at Three Spires Junction circa 1947
Ref: lnwr_3spires1477
HW Robinson©Steam Archive
Ex-LNWR 0-8-0 'G1' No 8892 blows off steam whilst shunting at Three Spires Junction circa 1947
English Electric Type 4 1Co-Co1 No D255 is seen on the diverted 3:45pm Euston to Birmingham New Street service in September 1966
Ref: lnwr_3spires2073
M Mensing
English Electric Type 4 1Co-Co1 No D255 is seen on the diverted 3:45pm Euston to New Street service
A Metro Cammell two car DMU is seen passing Three Spires Junction on the 1:45pm Nuneaton to Leamington Spa (Avenue) local service
Ref: lnwr_3spires2073
M Mensing
A Metro Cammell two car DMU passes Three Spires Junction on the 1:45pm Nuneaton to Leamington local service
View of Coventry Colliery 0-6-0T No 5 standing outside the shed which was located near to Three Spires Junction on 4th October 1957
Ref: lnwr_3spires1744
AW Flowers
View of Coventry Colliery 0-6-0T No 5 standing outside the shed which was located near to Three Spires Junction
View from Lythall Lane road bridge towards Foleshill gas works with the sidings and branch on the left
Ref: lnwr_3spires2090
N Todd
View from Lythall Lane road bridge towards Foleshill gas works with the sidings and branch on the left

Looking towards Three Spires junction with the loop line on the left and the Nuneaton to Coventry line on the right.
Ref: lnwr_3spires2091
N Todd
Looking towards Three Spires junction with the loop line on the left and the Nuneaton to Coventry line on the right.
View of the road bridge constructed with steel beams which carried Lythall Lane over Three Spires Junction
Ref: lnwr_3spires2092
N Todd
View of the road bridge constructed with steel beams which carried Lythall Lane over Three Spires Junction
Coventry Colliery 0-6-0T No 5 is seen shunting coal wagons at the exchange sidings at Three Spires Junction on 4th October 1957
Ref: lnwr_3spires1745
AW Flowers
Coventry Colliery 0-6-0T No 5 is seen shunting coal wagons at the exchange sidings at Three Spires Junction
View of Three Spires Junction signal box with the branch to Gosford Green on the left and exchange sidings on the right
Ref: lnwrcll2750
R Bristow
View of Three Spires Junction signal box with the branch to Gosford Green on the left and exchange sidings on the right
Schematic diagram showing the layout of Three Spires Junction with the Loop Line exiting off the up line
Ref: lnwrcll2758
M Christensen
Schematic diagram showing the layout of Three Spires Junction with the Loop Line exiting off the up line

A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Three Spires Junction signal box and Humber Road Junction signal box
Ref: lnwrmap113
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Three Spires Junction and Humber Road Junction
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the goods shed and two sets of sidings adjacent to Foleshill station
Ref: lnwrmap114
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the goods shed and two sets of sidings adjacent to Foleshill station
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route from Nuneaton to Coventry plus the Loop Line
Ref: lnwrmap108
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route from Nuneaton to Coventry plus the Loop Line

Bell Green

Method of working at Bell Green. Trains must not be allowed to shunt inside for other trains to pass. The trailing points on the down goods line are normally clipped and padlocked for through movements along the down goods line and the key kept in the Three Spires Junction box. The Guard of a train requiring to call at Bell Green must collect the key from the Signalman at Three Spires Junction box before departure and sign for its receipt in the Train Register. When work has been completed at Bell Green the Guard must set the points for through movements along the down goods line and clip and relock the padlock. The key must be handed to the Signalman of Three Spires Junction box upon return and an entry of the fact must be entered in the Train Register.

Martin Kavanagh writes 'The very last traffic to Bell green was some Ford car flats carrying Transit vans from Southampton, this would have been roughly 1982. Although I can’t locate it now I have seen this traffic listed in a Conditional Working Time Table, I think it was pretty short lived in nature'.

Bell Green signal box which controlled the entrance into Bell Green Goods Yard which was off Stoney Stanton Road
Ref: lnwrcll2760
RK Blencowe
Bell Green signal box which controlled the entrance into Bell Green Goods Yard which was off Stoney Stanton Road
Ex-LNWR 7F 0-8-0 G2a class No 49164 is seen travelling on the down line and about to cross over on the loop line to Three Spires junction
Ref: lnwrcll2748
R Bristow
Looking in the direction of 3 Spires Junction along the two sidings of the yard which lay adjacent to the Loop Line
Looking along Stoney Stanton Road as a tram passes under Coventry Loop Line and in front of Bell Green goods yard which is on the left on 20th August 1939
Ref: lnwrcll1741
HB Priestley
Looking along Stoney Stanton Road as a tram passes under Coventry Loop Line and in front of Bell Green goods yard
View of the bridge which carried the Loop Line over Stoney Stanton Road during February/March 1984
Ref: lnwrcll2756
R Bristow
View of the bridge which carried the Loop Line over Stoney Stanton Road during February/March 1984

Foleshill Railway

Nominally independent, the Foleshill Railway was opened in 1901 to serve Webster's brickwork's from a junction off the Nuneaton line. In 1905 it was extended to serve the new Courtaulds factory and Coventry Ordnance Works and in doing so it crossed on the level at Stoney Stanton Road the 3 foot 6 inch gauge Coventry Corporation Tramway system. During the Great War (First World War) of 1914-18 the line carried much heavy ordnance traffic from the Admiralty works in the form of gun barrels for the Royal Navy's Dreadnought class battleships. A new connection was made with the Coventry Loop Line in 1914 making it not only a through route but one with access to the Rugby to Coventry line as well as the Nuneaton to Coventry line. Courtaulds eventually took over the Foleshill Railway and their traffic was always steam worked, the line closing on 29th February 1972 after Courtaulds converted their boilers from coal to gas. A final steaming was staged on 8th April 1972 before some 100 enthusiasts and Courtaulds wove a silk bookmark to commemorate the event. 'Rocket', the 0-4-0ST Peckett (Works No 1722 of 1926), which was purchased new for the line, was handed over to a local RCTS member for transmission to Tyseley Museum.

An unidentified 0-4-0ST is seen moving a large naval gun through Coventry Ordance Works to be moved to Scotoun in Glasgow where it would be married to its mountings
Ref: miscfr001
Coventry City Libraries
An unidentified 0-4-0ST locomotive is seen moving a large naval gun through Coventry Ordance Works
Another naval gun is seen mounted on Midland Railway trucks whilst standing in the exchange sidings adjacent to the LNWR's Coventry Loop Line
Ref: miscfr002
Coventry City Libraries
Another naval gun, mounted on MR trucks, stands in the exchange sidings adjacent to the Coventry Loop Line
View of inside the Shell Shop at White & Poppe's factory in Holbrooks as workers are seen loading shell cases into wagons ready to be transported to be filled with explosive
Ref: miscfr003
Coventry City Libraries
Inside the Shell Shop at White & Poppe's factory in Holbrooks as workers load shell cases into wagons
Another photograph taken at the exchange sidings with what is thought to be a 15 inch gun barrel for one of the Royal Navy's Dreadnought class battleships
Ref: miscfr004
Coventry City Libraries
Another view at the exchange sidings showing a 15 inch gun barrel for one of the Dreadnought class battleships
View of an unidentified 0-6-0ST as it hauls a gun barrel through the boundary fence between the Foleshill Railway and the LNWR's Coventry Loop Line
Ref: miscfr005
Coventry City Libraries
The 0-4-0ST hauls a barrel through the boundary fence between the Foleshill Railway and the Coventry Loop Line

View of the unidentified 0-6-0ST hauling the 15 inch gun barrel along the Foleshill Railway as it passes alongside the Coventry Canal
Ref: miscfr006
Coventry City Libraries
The 0-4-0ST hauls a 15 inch gun barrel along the Foleshill Railway as it passes alongside the Coventry Canal
Close up showing the 0-4-0ST at the head of the short train carrying the 15 inch gun barrel and the special four-bogie wagon attached at this end
Ref: miscfr006a
Coventry City Libraries
Close up of the 0-4-0ST and the 15 inch gun barrel and the special four-bogie wagon attached at this end
Close up showing the opposite end of the short train which because the barrel was lighter at this end only needed to be carried by a special two-bogie wagon
Ref: miscfr006b
Coventry City Libraries
Close up of the opposite end of the short train showing this end only needed a special two-bogie wagon
View of the short train carrying the 15 inch gun barrel which is sandwiched between two 0-4-0ST locomotives as it passes over an unknown road
Ref: miscfr007
Coventry City Libraries
View of the short train carrying the 15 inch gun barrel between two 0-4-0STs passing over Pridmore Road
Close up showing the 0-4-0ST which is working hard as it crosses over the bridge at the head of the short train
Ref: miscfr007a
Coventry City Libraries
Close up showing the 0-4-0ST which is working hard as it crosses over the bridge at the head of the short train

Close up of the short train carrying the 15 inch gun barrel which shows breech end of the gun barrel and the the length of these giant guns
Ref: miscfr007b
Coventry City Libraries
Close up of the short train carrying the 15 inch gun barrel showing the breech end of the gun barrel
View of one of the 15 inch gun barrels being transported on the Foleshill Railway as it crosses Stoney Stanton Road
Ref: miscfr010
Coventry City Libraries
View of one of the 15 inch gun barrels being transported on the Foleshill Railway as it crosses Stoney Stanton Road
Peckett Class OY1 Special 0-4-0ST Works No 2085 is seen standing cold outside of Courtauld's shed on the Foleshill Railway
Ref: miscfr015
RA Fox
Peckett Class OY1 Special 0-4-0ST Works No 2085 is seen standing cold outside of Courtauld's shed
Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 'Nellie' Works No 2053 built in 1938 is seen standing within the confines of Courtaulds factory on 6th March 1955
Ref: miscfr016
TJ Edgington
Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 'Nellie' built in 1938 stands within Courtauld's factory on 6th March 1955
Peckett 0-4-0ST Works No 1722 'Rocket' is seen working a train of coal wagons through Courtaulds factory in March 1969
Ref: miscfr017
TJ Edgington
Peckett 0-4-0ST 'Rocket' is seen working a train of coal wagons through Courtaulds factory in March 1969

Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST 'Netherton' was built in 1903 and moved to Coventry in 1916 to build the Holbrooks Lane munitions factory
Ref: miscfr018
J Ryan
Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST 'Netherton' moved to Coventry in 1916 to build the Holbrooks Lane munitions factory

Lineside Views

The following images show the different elements of the Coventry Loop line ranging from bridges and sidings to locomotives and signal boxes.

Working at Morris Sidings. Trains must not be allowed to shunt inside for other trains to pass. The trailing points in the up goods line are clipped and padlocked for through movements along the down goods line and the key kept in the Three Spires Junction box. The Guard of a train requiring to call at these sidings must collect the key from the Signalman at Three Spires Junction box before departure and sign for its receipt in the Train Register. When work has been completed at the sidings the Guard must set the points for through movements along the up goods line and clip and relock the padlock. The key must be handed to the Signalman of Three Spires Junction box upon return and an entry of the fact must be entered in the Train Register.

View of Coventry Loop Line under construction with the over bridges complete but still with the contractor's temporary track in place
Ref: lnwrcll1743
C Maggs
View of Coventry Loop Line with the over bridges built but still with the contractor's temporary track in place
View of Bridge No 9 situated on the Coventry Loop Line built in 1912 to the drawing 'lnwrcll2754'
Ref: lnwrcll2755
BR/OPC
View of Bridge No 9 situated on the Coventry Loop Line built in 1912 to the drawing 'lnwrcll2754'
View of Heath Road bridge with Bridge No 9 seen in the distance during February/March 1984
Ref: lnwrcll2751
R Bristow
View of Heath Road bridge with Bridge No 9 seen in the distance during February/March 1984
The remains of the pointwork and trackwork located outside the Morris Engines sidings seen in February/March 1984
Ref: lnwrcll2757
R Bristow
The remains of the pointwork and trackwork located outside the Morris Engines sidings seen in February/March 1984
Binley Road bridge which carried the railway to Gosford Green sidings which was to the left of the camera
Ref: lnwrcll2747
R Bristow
Binley Road bridge which carried the railway to Gosford Green sidings which was to the left of the camera

View from Mercer Avenue bridge looking north with the old GEC works on the left in March 1984
Ref: lnwrcll2753
R Bristow
View from Mercer Avenue bridge looking north with the old GEC works on the left in March 1984
Ordnance Sidings signal box, its purpose being to control the sidings to Morris Engines and the Ordnance works
Ref: lnwrcll2746
Anon
Ordnance Sidings signal box, its purpose being to control the sidings to Morris Engines and the Ordnance works
The abutments on the Coventry Canal which carried the Foleshill Railway into Admiralty works on Red Lane
Ref: lnwrcll2749
R Bristow
The abutments on the Coventry Canal which carried the Foleshill Railway into Admiralty works on Red Lane
A LNWR drawing showing the side elevation of Bridge No 9 located on the Coventry Loop Line
Ref: lnwrcll2754
LNWR
A LNWR drawing showing the side elevation of Bridge No 9 located on the Coventry Loop Line
Courtaulds 0-4-0ST 'Rocket' is seen shunting in the exchange sidings adjacent to the LNWR's Nuneaton to Coventry line
Ref: lnwrcll1742
Rev A Newman
Courtaulds 0-4-0ST 'Rocket' shunts the exchange sidings adjacent to the LNWR's Nuneaton to Coventry line

Ex-LMS 4-6-0 'Black 5' No 44773 is seen at the head of an empty parcels train as it  transits the Coventry Loop Line
Ref: lnwrcll1746
AW Flowers
Ex-LMS 4-6-0 'Black 5' No 44773 is seen at the head of an empty parcels train as it transits the Loop Line
Ex-LNWR 7F 0-8-0 G2a class No 49164 is seen travelling on the down line and about to cross over on the loop line to Three Spires junction
Ref: lnwrcll2741
AW Flowers
BR built 2MT 2-6-0 No 46445 is seen at Little Heath shortly after it was transferred to Coventry in 1957

Gosford Green

Gosford Green Goods yard was located off the Binley Road in the district of Stoke in Coventry. Opened on 10th August 1914 as one of two goods yards on the Coventry Loop Line its location close to an industrial district of Coventry meant that it would be in much use for many years. In fact its closeness to the car factory in Humber Road operated by the Rootes Group, later the Chrysler Corporation, to move cars between Linwood near Paisley in Scotland meant that it remained open until the 1970s. The yard had six sidings arranged in three pairs and handled a wide variety of goods with machined products outward and materials inward. After approximately six years in service the facility at Gosford Green was taken out of use when Avenger production at Ryton ceased on July 1st 1976. Much of the plant was then shipped to Linwood by rail! With the loss of this traffic the Gosford Green branch was worked on an 'as required' basis twice weekly using a Class 25 stabled at Coventry. This was the T41 working on Tuesday & Thursday only calling at the Morris Siding and Gosford Green.

Method of working. A train must not pass the 'Stop' board situated on the up goods line and enter or leave the sidings until the Guard has ensured the sidings are clear and that it safe to do so. When the person in charge of the freight liner terminal is on duty, a movement must not be made into the terminal until permission of the Person in charge has been obtained. When the person in charge of the Freight Liner Terminal is not on duty, the Guard, before authorising the driver to make a movement into the terminal, must ensure that it is safe to do so. Propelling movements of Carflat, Bocar, and/or Freightliner vehicles, loaded or empty, must not be made in either direction through the crossover connecting the yard shunting neck with the down goods line. Such movements must be made via the up goods line. Departing trains must be formed on the down goods line and incoming trains split on the up goods line.

On arrival of an up train at Gosford Green, The Guard must advise the Signalman at Three Spires Junction box when the train with tail lamp attached is inside the 'Stop and carry out instructions' board situated opposite the goods office. Before a down train requiring to leave Gosford Green is allowed to pass the 'Stop and obtain permission to proceed' board situated opposite the Freightliner Terminal office, the permission of the Signalman at Three Spires Junction box must be obtained by means of the telephone in the Shunter's cabin. All movements working on these lines must be drawn by a locomotive and carry a tail lamp on the rear vehicle. A brake van must always be the rear vehicle on Class 7 to 9 trains inclusive.

View of the throat of Gosford Green goods yard during construction and the footbridge provided for pedestrians
Ref: lnwrcll117
Coventry Local Studies
The throat of Gosford Green goods yard seen during construction with the pedestrian footbridge
Close up of the left-hand side of Gosford Green goods yard and Holme & King Ltd's equipment and materials
Ref: lnwrcll117a
Coventry Local Studies
Close up of the left-hand side of Gosford Green goods yard and Holme & King Ltd's equipment and materials
Close up of the right hand side of the goods yard showing the gas lampposts and the hand-operated fixed crane located in the centre of the goods yard
Ref: lnwrcll117b
Coventry Local Studies
Close up of the gas lamp posts and the hand-operated fixed crane located in the centre of the goods yard
The Western end of the second footbridge which crossed Gosford Green goods yard along the line of Humber Avenue
Ref: lnwrcll105
BR-OPC
The Western end of the footbridge which crossed Gosford Green goods yard along the line of Humber Ave
Close up showing the sidings and goods yard structures used by the yard's personnel for mess facilities
Ref: lnwrcll105a
BR-OPC
Close up showing the sidings and goods yard structures used by the yard's personnel for mess facilities

View of Gosford Green goods yard's entrance taken from the road bridge that crossed Binley Road in Stoke, a district of Coventry
Ref: lnwrcll106
BR-OPC
View of Gosford Green goods yard's entrance taken from the bridge which carried the railway over Binley Road
Close up of Walker's timber yard situated behind the two sidings and also occupied the goods shed in the distance
Ref: lnwrcll106a
BR-OPC
Close up of Walker's timber yard situated behind the two sidings and also occupied the goods shed in the distance
Close up of Gosford Green goods yard's weighbridge and office which was sited at the entrance to the yard
Ref: lnwrcll106b
BR-OPC
Close up of Gosford Green goods yard's weighbridge and office which was sited at the entrance to the yard
View from inside the yard of the entrance from Binley Rd into Gosford Green yard with the weighbridge on the left
Ref: lnwrcll107
BR-OPC
View from inside the yard of the entrance from Binley Rd into Gosford Green yard with the weighbridge on the left
An elevated view of the yard's entrance with weighbridge on the left and the yard manager's house behind
Ref: lnwrcll108
BR-OPC
An elevated view of the yard's entrance with weighbridge on the left and the yard manager's house behind

Close up of Gosford Green's pit mounted weighbridge and the office within which was the scale indicator
Ref: lnwrcll108a
BR-OPC
Close up of Gosford Green's pit mounted weighbridge and the office within which was the scale indicator
An unknown ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 locomotive stands beneath the footbridge crossing Gosford Green goods yard
Ref: lnwrcll2740
P Myhill
An unknown ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 locomotive stands beneath the footbridge crossing Gosford Green goods yard
Two unknown ex-LMS locomotives, wreathed in smoke, stand at the entrance to Gosford Green goods yard
Ref: lnwrcll2745
P Myhill
Two unknown ex-LMS locomotives, wreathed in smoke, stand at the entrance to Gosford Green goods yard
View of the contractor's crawler crane being used to lift the track within Gosford Green goods yard
Ref: lnwrcll2744
P Myhill
View of the contractor's crawler crane being used to lift the track within Gosford Green goods yard
View of the throat of Gosford Green goods yard and its connection to the former Coventry Loop Line
Ref: lnwrcll2743
P Myhill
View of the throat of Gosford Green goods yard and its connection to the former Coventry Loop Line

View of Gosford Green goods yard and shed after Freightliner operations ceased as seen in March 1984
Ref: lnwrcll2752
R Bristow
View of Gosford Green goods yard and shed after Freightliner operations ceased as seen in March 1984
Schematic of Gosford Green signal box's diagram showing the sidings and points within the block
Ref: lnwrcll2759
M Christensen
Schematic of Gosford Green signal box's diagram showing the sidings and points within the block

Humber Road Junction

Opened in 1916 when the Coventry Loop Line was finally completed, the junction was originally named Pinley Junction after the lane which crossed the railway at this point. The change of name occurred after the lane was renamed following the construction of the Humber factory owned by the Rootes Group. The junction was removed as part of the electrification work to the West Coast main line although the importance of the Loop Line providing an alternative route for goods traffic around Coventry had declined with the loss of traffic to road hauliers. The junction closed on 7th October 1963.

View of Folly Lane, later named Humber Road, junction signal box prior to it being opened and before the lever frame was installed
Ref: lnwrcll116
Coventry Local Studies
View of Folly Lane junction signal cabin prior to it being opened and before the lever frame was installed
Looking north towards Coventry from Folley Lane, later renamed Humber Road, bridge with the branch line to Three Spires junction still to be opened to traffic
Ref: lnwrcll103
Coventry Local Studies
Looking north to Coventry with the branch line to Three Spires Junction on the right still to be opened to traffic
Close up showing the junction and signal box with open wagons loaded with ballast standing alongside the signal controlling access to the main line
Ref: lnwrcll103a
Coventry Local Studies
Close up of the junction and signal box with open wagons loaded with ballast standing alongside the signal
An unidentified LNWR 4-4-0 George Fifth class locomotive is seen at the head of a Birmingham to Euston express train passing the junction with the loop line
Ref: lnwrcll110
Coventry Local Studies
An unidentified LNWR 4-4-0 George Fifth class locomotive at the head of a Birmingham to Euston express train
Close up showing the unidentified LNWR 4-4-0 George Fifth class locomotive as it passes over the junction with the loop line
Ref: lnwrcll110a
Coventry Local Studies
Close up of the unidentified LNWR 4-4-0 George Fifth class locomotive as it passes over the junction with the loop line

Looking through Folley Lane tunnels towards the tunnel under the Coventry to Rugby main line  during construction of the loop line
Ref: lnwrcll1740
Coventry Local Studies
Looking through Folley Lane tunnels towards the Coventry to Rugby main line during construction of the loop line
An unidentified LNWR 0-8-0 locomotive is being re-railed after hitting the buffer stops at Folley junction
Ref: lnwrcll2372
J Alsop
An unidentified LNWR 0-8-0 locomotive is being re-railed after hitting the buffer stops at Folley junction
View across the junction showing the rear of the unidentified locomotive's tender being hoisted into the air
Ref: lnwrcll2374
E Lloyd
View across the junction showing the rear of the unknown locomotive's tender being hoisted into the air
View of the front end of the 0-8-0 locomotive as the breakdown crew prepare to re-rail the engine
Ref: lnwrcll2375
E Lloyd
View of the front end of the 0-8-0 locomotive as the breakdown crew prepare to re-rail the engine
View of two unidentified ex-LMS 2-8-0 8F locomotives being employed during electrification and track renewal operations at Humber Road junction
Ref: lnwrcll114
Anon
Two unknown ex-LMS 2-8-0 8F locomotives employed during electrification and track renewal operations

An unidentified ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 Jubilee class locomotive is seen at the head of a named up express train as it crosses over Humber Road junction
Ref: lnwrcll113
Anon
An unknown ex-LMS 4-6-0 Jubilee class locomotive heads a named up express as it crosses the junction
Ex-LMS 5MT 2-6-0 No 42953 on a empty stock working to Rugby as it passes through Humber Road junction
Ref: lnwrcll111
Anon
Ex-LMS 5MT 2-6-0 No 42953 on a empty stock working to Rugby as it passes through Humber Road junction
Ex-LNWR 7F 0-8-0 G2a class No 49164 is seen travelling on the down line and about to cross over on the loop line to Three Spires junction
Ref: lnwrcll112
Anon
Ex-LNWR 7F 0-8-0 No 49164 travels on the down line as it crosses over on the loop line to Three Spires junction
Ex-LMS 4-6-0 No 44771 passes Humber Road junction on 9th November 1963 with an up Type 8 freight train
Ref: lnwrcll2373
M Mensing
Ex-LMS 4-6-0 No 44771 passes Humber Road junction on 9th November 1963 with an up Type 8 freight train
An unidentified 0-4-0 Diesel shunter approaches Humber Road junction on its way from Rugby to Coventry
Ref: lnwrcll115
Anon
An unidentified 0-4-0 Diesel shunter approaches Humber Road junction on its way from Rugby to Coventry

Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 No 45625 'Sarawak' passes Humber Road Junction signal box during the late 1950s
Ref: lnwrcll2742
P Myhill
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 No 45625 'Sarawak' passes Humber Road Junction signal box during the late 1950s
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Three Spires Junction signal box and Humber Road Junction signal box
Ref: lnwrmap113
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Three Spires Junction and Humber Road Junction
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route from Nuneaton to Coventry plus the Loop Line
Ref: lnwrmap108
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route from Nuneaton to Coventry plus the Loop Line
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Coventry and Rugby No 7 Signal Box
Ref: lnwrmap103
M Hollick
A 1930s LMS Control strip map showing the route between Coventry and Rugby No 7 Signal Box

Mr RA Walford writes, 'I hope the following will be of help. When I was a boy in the 1940s & 1950s I lived near the Coventry Loop line. In the 1940s I lived near the Bell Green good yard and from my bedroom I could watch the shunting engines working there. I recall there being various 0-6-0s and 0-8-0s, being used as the main engines. During the war, when Coventry was being subjected to regular bombings, I remember seeing a train going regularly along the line with a large anti-aircraft gun mounted on a long flat wagon. I think it was being used to defend the large factories in the area, (e.g. Alfred Herbert, Morris Engines, etc). During the above time I recall that every lunchtime, a small freight train used to leave the Bell Green yard and head to Gosford Green yard. On route it would stop at the Morris Engines factory to shunt wagons into the factory and collect wagons from there.

The Morris factory had a small 0-4-0 diesel to marshal the wagons around the factory. There would also be a pickup and exchange of wagons at this stop from sidings on the other side of the main line which were used by the Royal Ordinance factory. Their factory was about half a mile from the main line and they had a spur line from the sidings to the factory. There main motive power was provided by a small 0-4-0 steam tank engine. If I recall correctly the line went right through the factory, across the Stoney Stanton Road, via a level crossing, to a large scrap yard at Priestly Bridge. After this round of shunting the freight train continued onto Gosford Green Yard. I am sorry if the above is a bit vague but it is now my memory trying to drag back events from 60 years ago!'