Southam & Long Itchington Station
Southam & Long Itchington station was the most
substantial of the three stations on the line within the county's border.
Unlike the other two it was built in brick when opened on 1st August 1895,
including the up platform, which at a later date saw its buildings demolished
when passenger levels fell to a level not able to justify its continued use.
Passengers used steps from either platform and the road bridge to gain access
to each side.
The station closed with the withdrawal of passengers
services on the Leamington to Weedon route on 15th September 1958. However its
close proximity to the cement works led to its goods service lasting 18 months
longer than the other stations on the line closing on 5th July 1965.
Through goods trains to the cement works still ran for
another 20 years, although with the lifting of the line south of the station to
Weedon and also the Leamington - Marton Junction portion of the Rugby to
Leamington route traffic had to now proceed via Rugby with a reversal at Marton
Junction. Cement traffic finally ceased on 1st August 1985, exactly 90 years
after the line opened, when BR lost out to road transport and the line was
finally lifted in 1987.
Select an image below to view the larger version with