·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Harborne Station

LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Harborne

Harborne Station was the terminus of the Harborne Railway and opened to passengers on 10th August 1874. Harborne Station had a single platform which unlike the other stations on the line was positioned on the left of a New Street to Harborne train. In addition to the station there were sidings primarily for coal traffic, fixed crane, weigh bridge and a goods shed. Whilst Monument Lane was the nearest shed, the majority of services were serviced by locomotives from Aston and Walsall sheds, the latter reflecting in part that a few services from Harborne to New Street ran on to Walsall. A second platform was said to have been constructed in 1901 alongside the run-round loop, but was rarely if ever used and was removed by 1911 to be replaced by carriage sidings. Until 1947 the station was able to boast of an engine turntable which was replaced by a sand wharf built on its site. The station closed to passenger traffic on 26th November 1934 and to goods traffic in 1963. For more information on Harborne station please see Steven Robertson's article on the Harborne Railway in LMS Journal No 3 published by Wild Swan.

Subsequent to the above, my query as to whether a second platform existed I received the following response from Reg Instone of the LNWR Society. Reg writes 'I can state that there quite definitely were two platforms before 1911, although the installation of the second one in 1901 is a myth. They existed before 1886 and may well have been original from 1874.

The evidence is as follows (in chronological order):
1886 O.S. 25" map - clearly shown
LNWR plan 61275 dated 10 February 1900 - this is for the abolition of the Signal Box and replacement by a ground frame (not carried out) but shows both platforms as existing
1901 O.S. 25" map - clearly shown (see LMS Journal No 3 page 54).
LNWR 2-chain survey, undated but mentions corrs. of 1902 - clearly shown.
PTC minute 9810 of Feb 1908, Harborne, "... removing the up platform and laying down an additional siding ..."
LNWR plan 10994 dated 20th August.1908 for new footbridge - clearly shown second platform "(disused)" (Birmingham Local studies Department, Railway Plan 32/7)
PW Committee minutes 39105/6 of Aug 1908 - Harborne, contracts let
PW Committee minute 39222 of Nov 1908 Harborne, "alterations at passenger station are almost complete" (regret I do not presently have a precise completion date for this work)
LNWR Private Siding diagram 873 dated 1.1910 - clearly shown (RAIL410/991) - may not be totally up-to-date?

Referring to the map caption on page 54 of LMS Journal No 3, Frank Ernest Westwood was one of two porters at Harborne from 31st January 1910 until after 1911 (RAIL410/1704 page 221), so should have remembered the second platform if it was removed in 1911. Possibly his lack of memory suggests that it was disused by the time he arrived, or was it actually removed in 1908? He was born 14th May 1890 and entered LNWR Service on 11th September 1905 so it was not his first post, but was still only 19 when he came there.

Steven Robertson wrote a postscript in LMS Journal No 7 to his article where he revealed his discovery of a minute of the LMS' Traffic Committee dated June 1947. The turntable was to be sent to Llandovery where the installation will be dealt with as an LMS/GWR Joint line matter. The minute showed the £1024 costs of removal was offset to a great extent by the payment of £921 meaning its removal only cost the LMS £73 in total. In 1908 a footbridge was constructed which provided both a "through" route as well as access to the station for the newly constructed development of Harborne Estates the footpath still being in use today but ending in Frensham Way near the site of the old turntable.

Looking towards Birmingham as a four-carriage commuter train arrives at Harbornes single platform terminus
Ref: lnwrh68
Postcard
Looking towards Birmingham as a four-carriage commuter train arrives at Harbornes single platform terminus
Close up showing the station building and at the end of the platform a horsebox stabled at the horse carriage landing
Ref: lnwrh68a
Postcard
Close up showing the station building and at the end of the platform a horsebox stabled at the horse carriage landing
Close up showing an unidentified LNWR 2-4-0T locomotive arriving at Harborne station and horse box on the right
Ref: lnwrh68b
Postcard
Close up of an unidentified LNWR 2-4-0T locomotive arriving at Harborne station and horse box on the right
Close up showing six-wheel carriages stabled on the sidings with the goods yard and shed seen behind
Ref: lnwrh68c
Postcard
Close up showing six-wheel carriages stabled on the sidings with the goods yard and shed seen behind
The exterior of Harborne station's single storey building considered by many as a plain and uninviting building
Ref: lnwrh1526
Lens of Sutton
The exterior of Harborne station's single storey building considered by many as a plain and uninviting building

Looking towards the turntable with the horse and carriage landing on the left on 24th November 1934
Ref: lnwrh71
WM Camwell
Looking towards the turntable with the horse and carriage landing on the left on 24th November 1934
View of Harborne's 42 ft diameter turntable sited at the end of  the platform with the entrance to the goods yard on the right
Ref: lnwrh2184
C Gilbert
Harborne's 42 ft diameter turntable sited at the end of the platform with the entrance to the goods yard
Looking back from the turntable towards the now disused passenger station now being used by the Chad Valley Company
Ref: lnwrh2209
Anon
Looking back from the turntable towards the now disused passenger station now being used by the Chad Valley Company
An unidentified LNWR 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' is turned on the 45 foot turntable ready to run the 2:59pm service
Ref: lnwrh69
WM Camwell
An unidentified LNWR 0-6-0 'Cauliflower' is turned on the 45 foot turntable ready to run the 2:59pm service
View of an unidentified ex-LNWR 2-4-2T locomotive standing at Harborne station in November 1934
Ref: lnwrh2190
Harborne Library
View of an unidentified ex-LNWR 2-4-2T locomotive standing at Harborne station in November 1934

Looking towards Hagley Road with the down signal in the off position thereby accepting a train to arrive at Harborne
Ref: lnwrh2203
PB Whitehouse
Looking towards Hagley Road with the down signal in the off position thereby accepting a train to arrive at Harborne
Looking towards Hagley Road station from the throat of the station with a gated private siding seen on the left
Ref: lnwrh2208
PB Whitehouse
Looking towards Hagley Road station from the throat of the station with a gated private siding seen on the left
View of Harborne Station's signal box and on the right a wagon in Birmingham Corporation's siding
Ref: lnwrh2183
PB Whitehouse
View of Harborne Station's signal box and on the right a wagon in Birmingham Corporation's siding
Looking towards Hagley Road as a goods train made up of primarily PO wagons is marshalled in the yard
Ref: lnwrh70
WM Camwell
Looking towards Hagley Road as a goods train made up of primarily PO wagons is marshalled in the yard
Ex-LNWR 0-6-0 No 58271 is seen arriving at Harborne station as a shunter approaches the train on 28th April
Ref: lnwrh2202
CJ Williams
Ex-LNWR 0-6-0 No 58271 arrives at Harborne station as a shunter approaches the train on 28th April

Looking from the passenger footbridge towards Hagley Road showing a near empty goods yard in June 1950
Ref: lnwrh2210
PB Whitehouse
Looking from the passenger footbridge towards Hagley Road showing a near empty goods yard in June 1950
Ex-LNWR 2-4-2T No 46757 is seen on a two-coach Stephenson Locomotive Society special visiting Harborne station on 3rd June 1950
Ref: lnwrh2189
E Knight
Ex-LNWR 2-4-2T No 46757 is seen on Stephenson Locomotive Society special visiting Harborne station
Another view of ex-LNWR 2-4-2T No 46757 standing at Harborne station's disused platform on 3rd June 1950
Ref: lnwrh2191
Harborne Library
Another view of ex-LNWR 2-4-2T No 46757 standing at Harborne station's disused platform on 3rd June 1950
View showing the station after closure prior to the track becoming overgrown & falling into a poor state of repair
Ref: lnwrh1525
PB Whitehouse
View showing the station after closure prior to the track becoming overgrown & falling into a poor state of repair
View of Harborne station being used by the Chad Valley Toy Company as a store to house timber
Ref: lnwrh67
M Billington
View of Harborne station being used by the Chad Valley Toy Company as a store to house timber

Another view of Harborne station being used as a store for timber shortly before the line closed in 1963
Ref: lnwrh72
M Billington
Another view of Harborne station being used as a store for timber shortly before the line closed in 1963
View of 16 ton steel mineral wagons loaded with coal, the weigh bridge office and the coal staithes
Ref: lnwrh2204
S Robertson
View of 16 ton steel mineral wagons loaded with coal, the weigh bridge office and the coal staithes
An external view of the former passenger station taken on 2nd November 1963 just prior to its demolition
Ref: lnwrh2205
TJ Edgington
An external view of the former passenger station taken on 2nd November 1963 just prior to its demolition
An elevated view of the rear of the former station building showing the glass canopy covering the platform
Ref: lnwrh2206
PB Whitehouse
An elevated view of the rear of the former station building showing the glass canopy covering the platform
A close up view showing the passenger footbridge and its proximity to the former station building
Ref: lnwrh2207a
PB Whitehouse
A close up view showing the passenger footbridge and its proximity to the former station building

View of Harborne station and goods yard after the track work had been lifted ready to be used for housing
Ref: lnwrh2188
A Muckley
View of Harborne station and goods yard after the track work had been lifted ready to be used for housing
Layout of Harborne station with a second platform allegedly provided in 1901 but removed in 1911
Ref: lnwrh2200
Preston-Hendry
Layout of Harborne station with a second platform allegedly provided in 1901 but removed in 1911
Map showing the location of Harborne station in relation to Chad Valley and Gordon Road, Wentworth Road and Park Hill Road
Ref: harborne_map
Andy Doherty
Map showing Harborne station in relation to Chad Valley and Gordon Road, Wentworth Road and Park Hill Road