Sutton Town Station
Sutton Town station opened in 1879 on the then Midland
Railway's Walsall to Water Orton route and closed in 1924 shortly after
grouping. There were two brick and tile structures on both platforms, the
larger being on the up platform which was accessed by road via Midland Drive
which ran between Rectory Road and the High Street. The down platform appears
to have been also accessed by road direct from Rectory Road. From evidence seen
on a 1913 map the station buildings were equipped with canopies, a design
feature not evident at the other stations on the Water Orton to Walsall route.
There were no goods facilities at Sutton Town station, these being available at
Sutton Park station. The station closed in 1924 as part of the newly
established LMS' rationalisation programme. As the station was not heavily used
for passenger services; the LNWR station being a more direct route to
Birmingham; and as it also lacked goods facilities then its services could be
shared by both stations.
Select an image below to view the larger version with