·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Whitlocks End Halt

GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line

Whitlocks End Halt was opened in 1936 in response to the growing numbers of comuters resulting from the growth in Birmingham's suburbs. It is often forgotten that whilst the economic depression that afflicted the country during the thirties this was primarily in areas where the old heavy industries predominated. Birmingham was one of the areas where 'new' industries flourished in particular light engineering and the motor industry.

Select an image below to view the larger version with accompanying text:

Looking towards Birmingham with Whitlock End Halt's up platform on the left and Tilehouse Lane road bridge in the distance
Ref: gwrwe666
Lens of Sutton
Looking towards Birmingham with Whitlock End Halt's up platform on the left and Tilehouse Lane road bridge in the distance
Looking towards Stratford upon Avon showing the general layout of the Halt and the position of the two ramps to both platforms
Ref: gwrwe665
Lens of Sutton
Looking towards Stratford upon Avon showing the general layout of the Halt and the position of the two ramps to both platforms
View of the down platform's timber framed and clad passenger shelter and the pathways leading down to the Whitlock End platform
Ref: gwrwe1119
Lens of Sutton
View of the down platform's timber framed and clad passenger shelter and the pathways leading down to the Whitlock End platform
Picture showing a Birmingham to Stratford upon Avon local passenger train passing through Whitlock’s End Halt in March 1939
Ref: gwrwe1366
R Buckley
Picture showing a Birmingham to Stratford upon Avon local passenger train passing through Whitlock’s End Halt in March 1939
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 Hall class No 4905 'Barton Hall' is seen passing through Whitlock End Halt at the head of an up Class D express freight service
Ref: gwrwe1359
M Mensing
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 Hall class No 4905 'Barton Hall' is seen passing through Whitlock End Halt at the head of an up Class D express freight service

Another view of ex-GWR 4-6-0 Hall class No 4905 'Barton Hall as it moves away from the Halt at the head of an up Class D express freight service on 8th July 1962
Ref: gwrwe1376
M Mensing
Another view of ex-GWR 4-6-0 Hall class No 4905 'Barton Hall as it moves away from the Halt at the head of an up Class D express freight service on 8th July 1962
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 Grange class No 6870 'Bodicote Grange' is seen passing through Whitlocks End Halt on an up freight service
Ref: gwrwe667
M Mensing
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 Grange class No 6870 'Bodicote Grange' is seen passing through Whitlocks End Halt on an up freight service
Looking south towards Grimes Hill & Wythall from Tilehouse Lane bridge as a three-car DMU service is seen departing departs for Stratford upon Avon
Ref: gwrwe1120
Lens of Sutton
Looking south towards Grimes Hill & Wythall from Tilehouse Lane bridge as a three-car DMU service is seen departing departs for Birmingham Moor Street