The Midland Railway's station at Evesham was the sited at
the end of the single line route from Redditch, the line being built with
double tracks for the portion of the route running from Evesham to Ashchurch.
The Great Western Railway also ran into Evesham and together the two railways
helped to increase the prosperity of the area by being able to transport
produce to markets otherwise too distant. In particular the competition between
the two was such that producers noted that where their goods had to pass over
other companies rails the cost of transportation was significantly higher.
As the Midland line from Redditch approached Evesham it
crossed the GWR line from Worcester to Oxford and then became two tracks as it
ran into the station, which was adjacent to the GWR station. The line then
continued as double track to Ashchurch curving away from the GWR route and then
crossed the River Avon. Whilst the GWR facilities were adjacent to its station
the Midland's were primarily to the south following further expansion.
The goods yard could hold 110 vehicles whilst the
marshalling yards could hold a further 97 vehicles. The facilities at the goods
yard were sufficient to handle significant amounts of agricultural produce in
addition to furniture vans, carriages, portable engines, machines on wheels,
livestock, horseboxes aided where required by a five ton crane. Inward traffic
also included coal for both industrial and domestic use as well as fertilisers,
large tree trunks for the Saw Mill.
Evesham had a two road engine shed opened circa 1870 with
entry via a single track that crossed the 42ft diameter turntable. There was
fifty yards of track outside for storing locomotives together with room for two
inside the shed. Initially the terminus for the line to Ashchurch the station
saw the route extended within two years to Redditch. The first signal box was
opened before 1st November 1875 and closed on 23rd September 1890 with the
opening of two new signal boxes, Evesham South replacing the original box and
Evesham North which was a new signal box.
Select an image below to view the larger version with