Kingsbury Junction was opened in 1909 creating a quicker
route to Birmingham by avoiding Whitacre. The faster passenger traffic and
express freight services used the new direct route to Water Orton whereas the
slower freight services such as the coal trains used the line via Whitacre.
Within the triangle formed by the slow and fast lines together with the
Nuneaton line to Birmingham, was Hams Hall Power Station. As would expected,
the coal required to fire the Power Station was brought in by rail but its
connection was only via the slow lines and the line to Nuneaton.
We would like to take this opportunity of thanking
Society, and in particular Carole Haines, for their support and assistance
in developing the Kingsbury Junction and Kingsbury Station pages. We also thank
John Griffiths, who worked as a porter and signal lampman at Castle Bromwich,
Nuneaton and Kingsbury from 1964 to 1970, for his photographs and information.
Within the captions we have also credited other people who have kindly helped
supply photographs and information.
Select an image below to view the larger version with