·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Southam Road & Harbury Station

The station was opened on the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway's Banbury to Birmingham section on 1st October 1852. Prior to the opening of the line, the B&OJR was taken over by the Great Western Railway. One of nine intermediate stations built at the time of the opening of the line, the station was brick-built and had a goods shed and goods siding. British Railways closed the station to goods traffic on 11th November 1963, and to passengers on 2nd November 1964.

GWR Route: Banbury to Wolverhampton

View of Southam and Harbury Station looking south towards Fenny Compton and London circa 1910
Ref: gwrsrh280
Lens of Sutton
View of Southam and Harbury Station looking south towards Fenny Compton and London circa 1910
Close up showing the signalling arrangement at the London end of Southam and Harbury Station
Ref: gwrsrh280a
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the signalling arrangement at the London end of Southam and Harbury Station
Close up showing the up platform at Southam and Harbury together with passengers and facilities
Ref: gwrsrh280b
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the up platform at Southam and Harbury together with passengers and facilities
View of the Southam and Harbury station shows the sweeping curve located just to the south
Ref: gwrsrh290
Lens of Sutton
View of the Southam and Harbury station shows the sweeping curve located just to the south
Close up of the  layout of the track to the south of the station with the down refuge siding on the right
Ref: gwrsrh290a
Lens of Sutton
Close up of the layout of the track to the south of the station with the down refuge siding on the right

Looking south from the Birmingham end of Southan and Harbury station
Ref: gwrsrh286
Lens of Sutton
Looking south towards London from the Birmingham end of Southam Road and Harbury station
Close up of the station's up platform substantial brick-built waiting room structure in more detail
Ref: gwrsrh286a
Lens of Sutton
Close up of the station's up platform substantial brick-built waiting room structure in more detail
Looking north towards Leamington Spa and Birmingham with the goods yard on the left
Ref: gwrsrh279
Real Photographs
Looking north towards Leamington Spa and Birmingham with the goods yard on the left
Close up showing  Southam Road and Harbury signal box and lineside huts in greater detail
Ref: gwrsrh279a
Real Photographs
Close up showing Southam Road and Harbury signal box and lineside huts in greater detail
The main entrance to Southam Road and Harbury station and goods yard located on the down platform
Ref: gwrsrh284
Real Photographs
The main entrance to Southam Road and Harbury station and goods yard located on the down platform

Close up showing the goods shed with access for road vehicles on the left and on the right for rail
Ref: gwrsrh284a
Real Photographs
Close up showing the goods shed with access for road vehicles on the left and on the right for rail
Close up showing the main station building located between the down platform and the goods access road
Ref: gwrsrh284b
RS Carpenter
Close up showing the main station building located between the down platform and the goods access road
Close up  of the main station building with the station master's office protected by iron bars at the window
Ref: gwrsrh284c
RS Carpenter
Close up of the main station building with the station master's office protected by iron bars at the window
Close up of Southam Road and Harbury station's up platform passenger waiting rooms
Ref: gwrsrh277a
RS Carpenter
Close up of Southam Road and Harbury station's up platform passenger waiting rooms
GWR 2-6-2T Large Prairie No 5165 pulls into the station on an up local train to Banbury
Ref: gwrsrh288b
RS Carpenter
Another view of Southam Road and Harbury station's up platform passenger waiting rooms

Close up showing an up goods waiting in the refuge siding for the right of way after the train has passed
Ref: gwrsrh281a
G Coltas
Close up showing an up goods waiting in the refuge siding for the right of way after the train has passed
Close up showing the same train seen in early photos still remains confined to the refuge siding
Ref: gwrsrh288a
RS Carpenter
Close up showing the same train seen in early photos still remains confined to the refuge siding
Signal controlling access from the down refuge siding and the main down through the station
Ref: gwrsrh2491
PJ Garland
Signal controlling access from the down refuge siding and the main down through the station

Locomotives and trains seen at or near Southam Road & Harbury station

GWR 4-6-0 No 6007 King William III is seen entering the station on an up express to Paddington
Ref: gwrsrh283
G Coltas
GWR 4-6-0 No 6007 King William III is seen entering the station on an up express to Paddington
GWR 4-6-0 No 2924 'Saint Helena' is seen leaving the up refuge siding with a long empty mixed stock train in 1936
Ref: gwrsrh277
RS Carpenter
GWR 4-6-0 No 2924 'Saint Helena' is seen leaving the up refuge siding with a long empty mixed stock train
GWR Class 72XX 2-8-2T No 7247 heading south with a F head code on a mixed freight
Ref: gwrsrh289
Real Photographs
GWR Class 72xx 2-8-2T No 7247 is seen heading south with a F head code on a mixed freight in 1957
GWR 4-4-0 Duke class No 3276 'St Agnes' and an unidentified 0-6-0PT return to Leamington
Ref: gwrsrh287
G Coltas
GWR 4-4-0 Duke class No 3276 'St Agnes' and an unidentified 0-6-0PT return to Leamington
GWR 2-6-0 Mogul No 5385 is seen passing through the station on an up short train of three six-wheel milk tank wagons
Ref: gwrsrh281
G Coltas
GWR 2-6-0 Mogul No 5385 is passing through the station on an up short train of three six-wheel milk tank wagons

GWR 4-6-0 No 5031 'Totness Castle' is seen passing the station on a down Paddington to Birkenhead express
Ref: gwrsrh278
G Coltas
GWR 4-6-0 No 5031 'Totness Castle' is seen passing the station on a down Paddington to Birkenhead express
GWR outside framed 2-6-0 Aberdare class No 2608 is seen at the head of a long mineral goods train
Ref: gwrsrh276
G Coltas
GWR outside framed 2-6-0 Aberdare class No 2608 is seen at the head of a long mineral goods train
GWR 4-6-0 No 6005 'King George II' on an up Birkenhead to Paddington express
Ref: gwrsrh282
G Coltas
GWR 4-6-0 No 6005 'King George II' on an up Birkenhead to Paddington express
GWR 2-6-2T 'Large Prairie' No 5165 pulls into the station at the head of an up local Birmingham Snow Hill to Oxford service
Ref: gwrsrh288
RS Carpenter
GWR 2-6-2T No 5165 pulls into the station at the head of an up local Snow Hill to Oxford service
GWR 4-6-0 40xx 'Castle' class No 5011 'Tintagel Castle' is seen heading north from Southam Road station
Ref: gwrsrh1600
Lens of Sutton
GWR 4-6-0 40xx 'Castle' class No 5011 'Tintagel Castle' is seen heading north from Southam Road station

GWR 2-8-0 30xx 'ROD' class No 3001 steams past Southam Road station with a Class H through freight train
Ref: gwrsrh1601
Lens of Sutton
GWR 2-8-0 30xx 'ROD' class No 3001 steams past Southam Road station with a Class H through freight train
GWR 2-8-0 28xx class No 2848 passes Southam Road and Harbury Signal Box with an Up ‘Class H’ through heavy freight train
Ref: gwrsrh1602
G Coltas
GWR 2-8-0 28xx class No 2848 passes Southam Road and Harbury Signal Box with an Up ‘Class H’ freight train
GWR 2-8-0 28xx class No 2848 passes Southam Road and Harbury Signal Box with an Up ‘Class H’ through heavy freight train
Ref: gwrsrh2492
PJ Garland
D1051 'Western Ambassador' is seen on a Paddington to Wolverhampton service on 19th April 1963