The following is a list of MR stations, junctions, goods
depots, etc, which at one time were part of the County of Warwickshire. This
includes stations such as the L&NWR's and Midland Railway's stations in
Tamworth which, when these stations were first built, were part of Warwickshire
but later in 1889 ceded to Staffordshire. The list also includes a number of
stations from towns and villages which had previously been part of other
counties such as Staffordshire and Worcestershire but after being absorbed into
the City of Birmingham also became part of the County of Warwickshire. Examples
include Kings Norton, Bournville, Barnt Green, etc on the Midland Railway's
line to Gloucester. Finally a small number of stations from other counties
which were never part of Warwickshire have been included where their inclusion
completes a route. One example being the Midland Railway's Birmingham to
Evesham route where Evesham, Harvington, Redditch and Alvechurch have been
included to complete all stations along the line. Where a station was known by
more than one name we have endeavoured to list them separately but linked both
to the same station page. As this information is currently incomplete the list
will be updated when we find the information. If you can help us with
information which can fill in the gaps we would be very appreciative.
|Stations, Junctions, Goods
||Braunston & Willoughby opened on 15th March 1899.
The station closed to passengers and goods traffic on 1st April 1957.
||Catesby Tunnel opened for coal traffic on 25th July
1898; for passenger traffic on 15th March 1899; and for goods traffic on 11th
April 1899. Closed to all traffic 3rd September 1966.
||Rugby station (later Rugby Central
station when taken into British Railways ownership) was opened by the Great
Central Railway (GCR) on 15 March 1899. The GCR's route to London was closed on
5th September 1966, the line to the south of Rugby and north of Nottingham
being closed. The section between Rugby Central and Nottingham (initially
Nottingham Victoria, later cut back to Nottingham Arkwright Street) remained
open as self-contained branch carrying a DMU operated local passenger service
until 3rd May 1969 with the station closing formally on 5th May 1969.
||Staverton Road signal cabin opened for passenger
traffic on 15th March 1899, and for goods traffic on 11 April 1899. The signal
cabin closed when most of the Great Central Mainline was closed on 5th