·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Marton Station

LMS Route: Rugby to Leamington

Marton Station, opened on 1st March 1851, was the other original intermediate station on the single line route to Leamington. The station remained open until the withdrawal of passenger services on the line on 15th June 1958 for whilst the goods services continued on until 3 July 1961. The station was seen by the LNWR as serving a wider area than the just local village and consequently saw its name changed to include Southam, particularly in the LNWR's attempts to counter the influence of the GWR route passing near to the same village. Marton therefore saw its name change to 'Marton for Southam' on 1st July 1853, reverting back to Marton in October 1860. In January 1877 it was again changed to 'Marton for Southam' before finally reverting again to Marton on 1st August 1895. The latter change was because Southam and Long Itchington had opened with the opening of the Marton Junction to Weedon line. Messrs Preston-Hendry & Powell-Hendry record in their book 'LMS Stations' that during the period 1877 to 1895 a horse bus ran four times a day between Marton and Southam all part of the LNWR's desire to counter the attraction of the GWR's services.

Reg Instone of the LNWR Society writes as a follow up to his extensive caption of the signal cabin seen in image 'lnwrmart3576', the hours of opening of the signal cabins. Throughout the decade from May 1903 until February 1913, each issue to the Central District Working Time Table (WTT) shows Marton Station cabin as open from 9.30 to 10.10am six days a week. This was necessary to allow two Down passenger trains to follow each other closely. As Dunchurch and Birdingbury cabins were also switched out most of the time, the normal Absolute Block section was between Bilton Sidings (Rugby) and Marton Junction cabins, a distance of just under 9 miles. This was adequate for the infrequent passenger and goods service, and saved the cost of employing signalmen at these cabins. The local goods service was provided by a trip working from Rugby, arriving at Marton at 4/10 and leaving again at 4/25 back to Rugby, allowing just 15 minutes for shunting. This was part of trip 1 from Rugby, altered to trip 101 in 1913 for the Traffic Control scheme. Of course, the cabin would have to be opened to enable access to the sidings. Additionally, in summer 1908 and summer 1909 (July to September) the cabin was shown to be open daily from 2/25 to 3/0pm. This facilitated the passage of the seasonal GER & GWR Yarmouth to West Country train, which was booked to leave Rugby at 2/42 not long after the passage of a local service. On the face of it, before 1907 it seems the Stationmaster would have to open the cabin himself, as there was no-one else available. However, this might not have been the case, as suggested in the next paragraph. From 1907 it would have been the Porter-Signalman's job to open the cabin and switch in the block instruments for these and other purposes. Throughout this period Marton Junction cabin was shown to be open from 7.0 to 9/0 six days a week, or a period of 14 hours. The line was closed on Sundays. Before the Great War, signalmen's shifts on lines such as this were usually 12 hours long (although 10 hour shifts were worked on main lines, and 8 hours at the busiest stations). Prior to 1907, two signalmen were employed here, which would seem excessive to cover 14 hours of opening. However, maybe one man worked the Station cabin from 9.30am, and presumably also around 4pm for the goods, before walking to Marton Junction to relieve the early turn man there. This would give a shift of 12 hours including 30 minutes walking time. The two turns would rotate on a weekly basis, as was the norm. Although nominally employed at Marton Junction, they would have to be passed out to work both cabins. I stress that this is just a guess, and we will probably never know the truth for certain. After 1907, with the change to one signalman at Marton Junction and a Porter-Signalman, different arrangements must have been in force.

Reg Instone

An Edwardian photograph of Marton station with staff from the station and a platelayer posed for the camera
Ref: lnwrmart3100
LNWR Society
An Edwardian photograph of Marton station with staff from the station and a platelayer posed for the camera
Close up showing the timber platform and railway staff and passengers posed for the camera
Ref: lnwrmart3100a
LNWR Society
Close up showing the timber platform and several members of railway staff and passengers posed for the camera
Looking towards Rugby in the early 1950s with the goods yard on the left opposite the main station which stood on the down line
Ref: lnwrmart1330
LGRP
Looking towards Rugby in the early 1950s with the goods yard on the left opposite the station which stood on the down line
Close up showing the signal box located at the Rugby end of the down platform and in the distance the signal gantry controlling access to the station and yard
Ref: lnwrmart1330a
LGRP
Close up of the signal box on the down line and in the distance the signal gantry controlling the station and yard
Close up of Marton station's main buildings which housed from left to right the ladies waiting room, the station master's house, waiting room and booking office
Ref: lnwrmart1330b
LGRP
Close up of the main buildings which housed the waiting rooms, and the station master's house and booking office

Another view of Marton station's station master's house and passenger facilities with the boarded crossing in the foreground
Ref: lnwrmart1331
LGRP
Another view of Marton station and its passenger facilities with the boarded crossing in the foreground
Close up of Marton station showing the pleasing design adopted by the LNWR when building such a rural and unimportant station
Ref: lnwrmart1331a
LGRP
Close up showing the pleasing design adopted by the LNWR when building such a rural and unimportant station
Close up showing the lamp cabinet with its concave mirror to maximise the light from the oil lamp
Ref: lnwrmart1331b
LGRP
Close up showing the lamp cabinet with its concave mirror to maximise the light from the oil lamp
Looking towards Marton station's main station building which was located on the up platform with Leamington off to the right
Ref: lnwrmart1327
LGRP
Looking towards Marton station's main station building which was located on the up platform with Leamington off to the right
View from the down platform in the direction of Rugby across to Marton station's goods yard showing the general configuration of the yard
Ref: lnwrmart1328

View from the down platform in the direction of Rugby across to the station's goods yard showing the configuration of the yard

Close up of the goods yard's Lime store which was built with a steel frame and timber plankibg to counter Lime's corrosiveness
Ref: lnwrmart1328a
Anon
Close up of the goods yard's Lime store which was built with a steel frame and timber plankibg to counter Lime's corrosiveness
Looking towards Marton station's good yard warehouse showing two doors with the left door being used by road traffic and other by rail
Ref: lnwrmart1328b
Anon
Close up of Marton station's warehouse showing two doors with the left door being used by road traffic and other by rail
Looking towards Rugby of Marton station's up platform and timber framed and clad waiting room with the main station on the down platform on the left
Ref: Ref: lnwrmart1759
Preston-Hendry
Looking towards Rugby along the up platform with its timber waiting room - the main station is on the left
View of Marton station's down platform and station buildings viewed from a Leamington to Rugby local passenger service
Ref: lnwrmart1757
E Wilmshurst
View of Marton station's down platform and station buildings viewed from a Leamington to Rugby local passenger service
British Railways built to an ex-LMS design, Ivatt 2-6-2T No 41321 is seen standing at Marton station's down platform
Ref: lnwrmart1329
Anon
British Railways built to an ex-LMS design, Ivatt 2-6-2T No 41321 is seen standing at Marton station's down platform

Railway Porter-Signalman Thomas Baker poses for the camera on the steps of Marton Signal Cabin circa 1911
Ref: lnwrmart3576
Watford Village Hall Committee
Railway Porter-Signalman Thomas Baker poses for the camera on the steps of Marton Signal Cabin c1911

View of the 1880s drawing showing the layout of Marton station and goods yard and facilities which still included the wagon turntable
Ref: lnwrmart3098
Preston-Hendry
An 1880s drawing showing the layout of Marton station and goods yard and facilities which still included the wagon turntable
View of an 1880s drawing showing the layout of Nelson Cement Depot and sidings which was closed after the opening of the branch to Weeden
Ref: lnwrmart3099
Preston-Hendry
An 1880s drawing showing the layout of Nelson & Co's sidings which was closed after the opening of the branch to Weeden
A coloured copy of a LNWR plan of Nelson & Company's Sidings at Marton on Rugby Leamington line
Ref: lnwrmart3097
C Heaven
A coloured copy of a LNWR rating plan of Nelson & Company's sidings at Marton station on Rugby Leamington line