Aston Cantlow Halt
A station in the vicinity of Aston Cantlow had been proposed
in June 1874, but had never been constructed. However when the line reopened
after WW1 the residents of Aston Cantlow persuaded the GWR that a small station
would be a viable proposition. Thus a standard GWR halt comprising a simple
200ft long by 8ft wide wooden platform with a corrugated iron waiting room was
constructed alongside the branch line and opened on 18th December 1922. There
was no sidings or goods facilities, but lighting was provided.
The halt was unstaffed and for administrative purposes was
under the control of Great Alne. The Halt was closed when the line closed at
the start of WW2, reopened again briefly in 1941, but finally closed on 1st
March 1951. After a short period when the line was used for storage the track
was removed and the site was reclaimed by nature.
Select an image below to view the larger version with