·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About
+p

Claverdon Station

GWR Route: Hatton to Bearley and Alcester Branch

Claverdon was one of three intermediate stations on the Stratford-on-Avon Railway (the other two being Bearley and Wilmcote). This 9¼ mile single track, mixed gauge railway was opened on 9th October 1860 as a nominally independent branch from the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway at Hatton. It was operated by the Great Western with broad gauge stock until a connection with the Strafford branch of the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway allowed narrow gauge (4’8¼”) trains to run through from Worcester via Honeybourne in 1863. Six years later on 1st April 1869 the broad gauge rail was removed. In 1883 the Stratford-on-Avon Railway Company was absorbed by the Great Western Railway and two years later the track layout was modified to provide a loop line. At the same time a loading bank or wharf was constructed. In 1891 a platform signal box was constructed to interlock the loop line points and signals, but this was closed again after fifteen years and replaced with two ground frames. By 1938, traffic on the single track section between Bearley and Hatton was sufficiently heavy to justify doubling the track. At the same time a new station was constructed on the opposite side of the road overbridge, while the old station was designated a goods lock-up. The new station official opened on 2nd July 1939. As part of the reconstruction a new goods loop siding was provided on the site of the old wharf and a new signal box constructed. The goods loop was converted back to a siding in December 1953 and at the same time the signal box was closed and replaced with a ground frame. This siding was subsequently removed in July 1964. In January 1969 the line was singled between Bearley and Hatton, but Claverdon station still remains open today.

Robert Ferris

Robert Ferris has also transcribed another article from the Great Western Magazine focusing upon the widening of the Hatton to Bearley line.

Extract from Great Western Magazine Volume. 51. No 8 August 1939

Doubling of the Line between Hatton and Bearley by R. H. Cunningham.

The opening to all traffic, on July 2, of the four-and-a-half miles of double line between Hatton and Bearley marks the completion of a widening scheme which was commenced in March of last year. No particular engineering difficulties were encountered on the work, the main feature being the provision of extensive additional accommodation at Claverdon, where a new station, comprising two platforms, each 450 feet long, with waiting-room accommodation on each platform, has been constructed adjoining an overbridge. There are short ramped approaches between the main road and the platforms, and the station buildings, comprising booking and parcels offices, are on the up side. A reinforced concrete footbridge connects the down platform with the booking-office. The old station at Claverdon is being converted into a goods lock-up, and the old station wharf has been replaced by a mileage yard. A new signal box takes the place of two ground frames formerly in use.

At Bearley, the up and down platforms, originally 285 feet and 375 feet long, have been lengthened to 450 feet and 550 feet, respectively, the construction of the new platforms being of pre-cast reinforced concrete trestles and decking, covered with fine tarmac. A steel footbridge now connects the platforms, and the station master's office and waiting-room on the down platform have been rebuilt. Very little additional land had to be acquired for the doubling of this portion of railway. Some 30,000 cubic yards of excavation were removed in widening the cuttings, and it was found possible to use most of the excavated material in giving additional width to embankments. One of the photographs (see 'gwrc1668') shows a mechanical excavator at work on the 30 foot cutting near 14 mile post. The steel superstructures of four small bridges were widened. For one bridge it was necessary to demolish the old wing walls for extension of the abutments to carry the additional superstructure. Advantage has been taken of the opportunity afforded by the doubling to realign the curves throughout the section for fast running. Electric lighting has been brought into use throughout; new locking frames have been installed in the signal boxes at Hatton and Bearley; and the well water supply at Claverdon has been replaced by one taken from the Birmingham waterworks.

The works were carried out under the direction of the Chief Engineer, the contract work being supervised by the writer. From the historical point of view, it may be said that the conclusion of the Hatton – Bearley widening here referred to, completes the doubling of the Hatton to Stratford branch. This branch, nine-and-a-quarter miles long, was opened as a single line, broad gauge, with a third rail to standard gauge in October, 1860, and in 1861 it was connected with the standard gauge Honeybourne to Stratford branch of the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway, which had been opened two years earlier. From January 1, 1863, all regular trains on the branch were run on standard gauge. Doubling of the line between Stratford and Bearley was carried out at the same time as the doubling of the Honeybourne to Stratford branch and the construction of the Birmingham and North Warwickshire line, which was opened to traffic on July 1, 1908.

The Original Claverdon Station

View of Claverdon station with the Station master standing under one of the station oil lamps
Ref: gwrc874
J Alsop
View of Claverdon station with the Station master standing under one of the station oil lamps
Claverdon station as a train steams under the road bridge at the Bearley end of the station
Ref: gwrc10
Postcard
Claverdon station as a train steams under the road bridge at the Bearley end of the station
A view along the platform at Claverdon Station towards Hatton on 5th September 1931, showing the 1860 station building
Ref: gwrc1369
C Gilbert
A view along the platform at Claverdon Station towards Hatton showing the 1860 station building
Another view of the original Claverdon Station showing a substantial number of open five plank mineral wagons
Ref: gwrc2337
C Glibert
Another view of the original Claverdon Station showing a substantial number of open five plank mineral wagons
An early picture of Claverdon Station after track modifications but before the platform signal box was built
Ref: gwrc872
Anon
An early picture of Claverdon Station after track modifications but before the platform signal box was built

Close up of the unloading of manure from a GW open wagon on to a two wheel cart on the wharf
Ref: gwrc872a
Anon
Close up of the unloading of manure from a GW open wagon on to a two wheel cart on the wharf
General view of Claverdon Station looking towards Hatton in the early 1930s showing little change from earlier views
Ref: gwrc12
P Hopkins
General view of Claverdon Station looking towards Hatton showing little change from earlier views
The original 1860 station building built as a single storey in red brick building with a slate roof
Ref: gwrc12a
P Hopkins
The original 1860 station building built as a single storey in red brick building with a slate roof
View of loading bank showing two open wagons with rounded ends, a common feature in early open wagons
Ref: gwrc12b
P Hopkins
View of loading bank showing two open wagons with rounded ends, a common feature in early open wagons
The coal, coke, mineral salt and lime merchant, Messrs E. Thomas operated from the Claverdon loading bank
Ref: gwrc4
Anon
The coal, coke, mineral salt and lime merchant, Messrs E. Thomas operated from the Claverdon loading bank

Coal being unloaded from a Private Owner wagon into the horse drawn cart on Claverdon's loading bank
Ref: gwrc3
Postcard
Coal being unloaded from a Private Owner wagon into the horse drawn cart on Claverdon's loading bank
Claverdon station viewed from the road bridge at the turn of the century, with a goods engine shunting in the loop
Ref: gwrc547
WoW
Claverdon station viewed from the road bridge at the turn of the century, with a goods engine shunting in the loop
Claverdon station looks more like a canal than a railway following the Whitsun Floods in 1932
Ref: gwrc871
E Thomas
Claverdon station looks more like a canal than a railway following the Whitsun Floods in 1932
Looking to Bearley through the road bridge which shows the other abutment of the west occupation bridge
Ref: gwrc11
Real Photos
Looking to Bearley through the road bridge which shows the other abutment of the west occupation bridge
The old station now turned into a goods lock-up after the opening of the new station in 1939
Ref: gwrc548
Anon
The old station now turned into a goods lock-up after the opening of the new station in 1939

Looking towards Bearley, the new station and double track viewed through the road bridge arch
Ref: gwrc549
Anon
Looking towards Bearley, the new station and double track viewed through the road bridge arch
Looking down from the road bridge towards Hatton during the doubling and construction work
Ref: gwrc915
NRM
Looking down from the road bridge towards Hatton during the doubling and construction work
View prior to doubling of the line showing the single track line towards Bearley from the road bridge
Ref: gwrc905
NRM
View prior to doubling of the line showing the single track line towards Bearley from the road bridge

Doubling of the line and rebuilding of Claverdon Station

Standing on the single branch line looking back towards the road bridge, beyond which is Claverdon old station
Ref: gwrc906
NRM
Standing on the single branch line looking back towards the road bridge, beyond which is Claverdon old station
View of the work on the new 450ft platforms taken from the position of the future road-side booking office
Ref: gwrc907
NRM
View of the work on the new 450ft platforms taken from the position of the future road-side booking office
View showing the new platform facing walls complete whilst work was well under way on the platform waiting rooms
Ref: gwrc908
NRM
View showing the new platform facing walls complete whilst work was well under way on the platform waiting rooms
View tshowing the road-side booking office complete whilst work has started on the new footbridge in front of the road bridge
Ref: gwrc909
NRM
View showing the road-side booking office complete as work starts on the new footbridge by the road bridge
A  new goods siding was constructed on the site of the loading wharf with access at rail level
Ref: gwrc914
NRM
A new goods siding was constructed on the site of the loading wharf with access at rail level

A view from the top of the occupation bridge abutment at the Hatton end of the station
Ref: gwrc917
NRM
A view from the top of the occupation bridge abutment at the Hatton end of the station
View of the widening works with a contractors narrow gauge tramway being loaded by a crawler crane and bucket
Ref: gwrc918
NRM
View of the widening works with a contractors narrow gauge tramway being loaded by a crawler crane and bucket
View of one of the crawler cranes in action widening the line between Hatton and Bearley in early 1939
Ref: gwrc1668
GWR Magazine
View of one of the crawler cranes in action widening the line between Hatton and Bearley in early 1939
Looking towards Hatton from the road bridge on 17th March 1939, just a few months prior to the opening of double track and new station
Ref: gwrc925
NRM
Looking towards Hatton from the road bridge, a few months prior to the opening of double track and new station
A view of the old station from the Hatton end of the goods yard shortly before the original station was closed
Ref: gwrc923
NRM
A view of the old station from the Hatton end of the goods yard shortly before the original station was closed

View of the north end of the station taken from the new Signal Box looking towards Hatton
Ref: gwrc913
NRM
View of the north end of the station taken from the new Signal Box looking towards Hatton
View of the new GW type 12a Signal Box which was built to control the new signalling and the goods loop points
Ref: gwrc926
NRM
View of the new GW type 12a Signal Box which was built to control the new signalling and the goods loop points
View showing the up platform waiting room with the ramp leading up to the road-side booking office
Ref: gwrc910
NRM
View showing the up platform waiting room with the ramp leading up to the road-side booking office
View showing the new down platform waiting room with ramp leading up to the new reinforced concrete footbridge
Ref: gwrc911
NRM
View showing the new down platform waiting room with ramp leading up to the new reinforced concrete footbridge

The Rebuilt 1939 Claverdon Station

View showing the road-side booking office, parcels office and cycle shelter while at the front corner is an electric light
Ref: gwrc912
NRM
View showing the road-side booking office, parcels office and cycle shelter while at the front corner is an electric light
A view of the road-level buildings seen from the platform entrance of the old station on 24th April 1939
Ref: gwrc916
NRM
A view of the road-level buildings seen from the platform entrance of the old station on 24th April 1939
A 1950 view of the 1930s road level station building containing on the left the booking office and hall
Ref: gwrc6
Lens of Sutton
A 1950 view of the 1930s road level station building containing on the left the booking office and hall
Another view of the road-level buildings showing the limited parking provided as seen during the 1950s
Ref: gwrc7
Lens of Sutton
Another view of the road-level buildings showing the limited parking provided as seen during the 1950s
The road-level 1930s station buildings viewed from the access road to the original station seen on 23rd March 1981
Ref: gwrc5
RS Carpenter
The 1930s road-level station buildings viewed from the access road to the original station on 23rd March 1981

View looking towards Hatton showing replacement station built the south side of the road bridge after doubling
Ref: gwrc9
Lens of Sutton
View looking towards Hatton showing replacement station built the south side of the road bridge after doubling
Looking along the 1930s replacement station platforms from beneath the road bridge towards Bearley
Ref: gwrc8
Lens of Sutton
Looking along the 1930s replacement station platforms from beneath the road bridge towards Bearley
Track level view of Claverdon station looking towards Hatton showing the identical, but mirror image, waiting rooms and toilets on both platforms
Ref: gwrc2338
R&CHS - Cook Collection
Claverdon station looking towards Hatton showing the identical, but mirror image, waiting rooms and toilets

Locomotives seen at or near Claverdon Station

Ex-GWR 2251 class 0-6-0 No 3217 passing the old station at Claverdon on Tuesday 1st September 1964
Ref: gwrc2261
B Hicks
Ex-GWR 2251 class 0-6-0 No 3217 passing the old station at Claverdon on Tuesday 1st September 1964
Viewed from the footbridge GWR 4-6-0 No 6851 Hurst Grange starts away from Claverdon for Leamington
Ref: gwrc919
J Edgington
Viewed from the footbridge GWR 4-6-0 No 6851 Hurst Grange starts away from Claverdon for Leamington
Ex-GWR 2-6-2T No 4118 passes the old Claverdon station with a Leamington to Stratford local passenger train
Ref: gwrc921
J Edgington
Ex-GWR 2-6-2T No 4118 passes the old Claverdon station with a Leamington to Stratford local passenger train
GWR 2-6-2T No 5162 passes the old station  three months before the new double track and station are opened
Ref: gwrc927
G Coltas
GWR 2-6-2T No 5162 passes the old station three months before the new double track and station are opened
GWR 4-6-0 5013 'Castle' class No 5042 'Winchester Castle' on a Leamington to Gloucester train
Ref: gwrc550
Anon
GWR 4-6-0 5013 'Castle' class No 5042 'Winchester Castle' on a Leamington to Gloucester train

GWR Collett 0-6-0 2251 class No 3217 on a two coach train passes under the road bridge after leaving Claverdon station
Ref: gwrc870
B Hicks
GWR Collett 0-6-0 No 3217 on a two coach train passes under the road bridge after leaving Claverdon station
The Royal train hauled by ex-LMS 4-6-0 Black 5 No 44919 with HM The Queen Mother on board
Ref: gwrc873
G Batchelor
The Royal train hauled by ex-LMS 4-6-0 Black 5 No 44919 with HM The Queen Mother on board
Ex-Great Western Railway 0-4-2T 58xx Class No 5815 pauses to run bunker first on a local stopping service to Leamington
Ref: gwrc922
HJ Stretton-Ward
Ex-GWR 0-4-2T 58xx Class No 5815 pauses to run bunker first on a local stopping service to Leamington
GWR 2-6-2T No 5162 passes the old station  three months before the new double track and station are opened
Ref: gwrc2336
TJ Edgington
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 Grange Class No 6851 'Hurst Grange' is seen on a stopping train to Leamington
A view of the recently opened station from the new footbridge adjacent to the road bridge
Ref: gwrc924
WA Camwell
A view of the recently opened station from the new footbridge adjacent to the road bridge

GWR Diesel Railcar No 4 is seen on an up service to Leamington just south of Claverdon station in 1939
Ref: gwrc2334
KRM
GWR Diesel Railcar No 4 is seen on an up service to Leamington just south of Claverdon station in 1939