·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington

Chilvers Coton Station

Chilvers Coton Station was built by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) and opened on 12th September 1850 together with the other stations on the Coventry to Nuneaton Line. The station was located in a cutting, just to the north of where the Coventry to Nuneaton line passed under College Street. At the Nuneaton end of the station the railway crossed over the Coventry Canal with the platforms stopping just short of the underbridge. Access to the station was via a ramped pathway which led down from College Street to the down platform. Passengers wishing to cross to the up (Coventry) platform used a boarded porter's crossing until at sometime in LMS days a steel framed passenger footbridge was installed. The Railway Clearing House's Handbook of Railway Stations records that the station served only passenger with no parcels or goods facilities as these were available from Nuneaton station which was only a mile and a half away. The station closed on 18th January 1965 when passenger services between Nuneaton and Coventry were withdrawn.

Looking from the canal bridge towards Coventry with the up platform as seen on the left on 28th June 1950
Ref: lnwrcc3280
G Biddle
Looking from the canal bridge towards Coventry with the up platform as seen on the left on 28th June 1950
Close up showing Chilvers Coton's 1882 buildings provided for both platform erected at a total cost of 500
Ref: lnwrcc3280a
G Biddle
Close up showing Chilvers Coton's 1882 buildings provided for both platform erected at a total cost of £500
View from College Street bridge of Chilvers Coton station looking towards Nuneaton with the arches in the distance
Ref: lnwrcc1481
WoW
View from College Street bridge of the station looking towards Nuneaton with the arches in the distance
View of Chilvers Coton station's British Railway 'Totem' Station name board fixed to one of the lampposts found on both platforms
Ref: lnwrcc35
G Edmands
Chilvers Coton station's BR 'Totem' station name board fixed to one of the lampposts found on both platforms
An example of Chilvers Coton award winning garden, in this instance what appears to be a royal Coat of Arms
Ref: lnwrcc3286
E Veasey
An example of Chilvers Coton award winning garden, in this instance what appears to be a royal Coat of Arms

Looking towards Coventry showing the station some six months after the withdrawal of passenger services in 1965
Ref: lnwrcc3281
D Mundy
Looking towards Coventry showing the station some six months after the withdrawal of passenger services in 1965
A view of Chilvers Coton Station looking towards Nuneaton not long after it was closed in early 1965
Ref: lnwrcc3279
P Lee
A view of Chilvers Coton Station looking towards Nuneaton not long after it was closed in early 1965
Close up showing the station's two waiting rooms located on the up platform and the gentlemen's toilets on the right
Ref: lnwrcc3279a
P Lee
Close up of the station's two waiting rooms located on the up platform and the gent's toilets on the right
View from the Nuneaton end of the down platform looking towards the bridge carrying the railway over the Coventry Canal
Ref: lnwrcc34
P Lee
View of the Nuneaton end of the down platform and the bridge carrying the railway over the Coventry Canal
Station staff pose before their garden display which included the station name picked out with white washed stones
Ref: lnwrcc3287
E Veasey
Station staff pose before their garden display which included the station name picked out with white washed stones

Trains seen at Chilvers Coton

A two-car Birmingham RC&W DMU is seen arriving at Chilvers Coton station on the 5:28pm Leamington to Nuneaton service
Ref: lnwrcc2092
M Mensing
A two-car BRC&W DMU is seen arriving at the station on the 5:28pm Leamington to Nuneaton service
A two-car Park Royal Diesel Multiple Unit passes through the closed station on a down special shuttle service to Coventry
Ref: lnwrcc3285
M Mensing
A two-car Park Royal Diesel Multiple Unit passes through the closed station on a down shuttle service to Coventry
A two-car Park Royal Diesel Multiple Unit passes through the closed station on an up special shuttle service to Coventry
Ref: lnwrcc3288
M Mensing
A two-car Park Royal DMU passes through the closed station on an up special shuttle service to Coventry
A two-car Metro-Cammell DMU passes through the station on an up service to Leamington on 12th May 1964
Ref: lnwrcc3289
M Mensing
A two-car Metro-Cammell DMU passes through the station on an up service to Leamington on 12th May 1964
Another view of Coton Arches, taken on 17th September 1966, carrying the Nuneaton to Coventry railway over the road junctions
Ref: lnwrcc3290
M Mensing
English Electric D219 'Caronia' passes through the station on the diverted 4:15pm New Street to Euston service

Ex-LMS 4P 2-6-4T No 42330 is seen running bunker first as it arrives at Chilvers Coton station with the 6:56pm Coventry to Nuneaton service
Ref: lnwrcc36
Anon
Ex-LMS 4P 2-6-4T No 42330, runs bunker first as it arrives at the station with the 6:56pm Coventry to Nuneaton service

Coton Viaduct

An early 20th century view of Coton Arches which carried the Nuneaton to Coventry railway over the junction between the Coventry Road with Ave Road
Ref: lnwrcc2093
WoW
An early 20th century view of Coton Arches which carried the Nuneaton to Coventry railway over Coventry Road
A 1920s view of Coton Arches which carried the Nuneaton to Coventry railway over the junction between the Coventry Road with Ave Road
Ref: lnwrcc2095
WoW
A 1920s view of Coton Arches which carried the Nuneaton to Coventry railway over Coventry Road and Ave Road
Another view of Coton Arches, taken on 17th September 1966, carrying the Nuneaton to Coventry railway over the road junctions
Ref: lnwrcc2094
WoW
Another view of Coton Arches, taken on 17th September 1966, carrying the railway over the road junctions
Coton Arches the well known bridge with its wide shallow central arch being inspected in the 1960s
Ref: lnwrcc3290
K Draper
Coton Arches the well known bridge with its wide shallow central arch being inspected in the 1960s

Ordnance Survey Maps and boundary plans

An 1886 Ordnance Survey map of Chilvers Coton Station showing its relationship to College Street and the Coventry Canal
Ref: lnwrcc3282
National Library of Scotland
An 1886 OS map of Chilvers Coton Station showing its relationship to College Street and the Coventry Canal
A 1913 Ordnance Survey map of Chilvers Coton Station showing its relationship to College Street and the Coventry Canal
Ref: lnwrcc3282
National Library of Scotland
A 1913 OS map of Chilvers Coton Station showing its relationship to College Street and the Coventry Canal
A 1923 Ordnance Survey map of Chilvers Coton Station showing its relationship to College Street and the Coventry Canal
Ref: lnwrcc3284
National Library of Scotland
A 1923 OS map of Chilvers Coton Station showing its relationship to College Street and the Coventry Canal
A plan of the original bridge over the Nuneaton-Coventry turnpike road where it ended at the Nuneaton Toll House
Ref: lnwrcc3278
P Lee
A plan of the original bridge over the Nuneaton-Coventry turnpike road where it ended at the Nuneaton Toll House