Lifford Station Junction
The history of Lifford Station Junction was unusual insofar
that it had three stations prior to 1940 when passenger services finally ceased
as a wartime emergency measure. The first station, located on the Birmingham
& Gloucester Railway (B&GR) line, had a very short operational life
opening on 17th December 1840 and closing on 1st December 1844. It was not
until 1st June 1876 that the second was opened but this time it was on the new
Birmingham West Suburban Railway line some half a mile from the first station.
This too had a short operational life being closed on 28th September 1885 when
the Birmingham West Suburban Railway provided a shorter and more direct route
to Kings Norton station.
The third station was located on the B&GR very close to
the site of the original station that had first opened in 1840. This station
was a substantial affair even though it only initially served passenger
services running from New Street via Camp Hill. Later when the Lifford Curve
was opened on 16th May 1892 (for goods) and 1st July 1892 (for passenger
services) some passenger services were then looped to start and finish at New
Street running via the Lifford Curve and Camp Hill. The installation of Lifford
Curve resulted in a rearrangement of the entrance to Lifford goods yard with
the original goods shed losing its rail connection in the process.
Select an image below to view the larger version with