·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

The Lakes Halt

GWR Route: North Warwickshire Line

The Lakes Halt opened on 3rd June 1935 to cater for the growing number of people escaping from living in Birmingham. The Halt was only designed to cater for commuter traffic and had relatively short platforms being 130 feet long. The title Waiting Room is perhaps too grand a description of the passenger accommodation at the Halt. They were of timber construction and open on one side, the one facing the platform, the word bus shelter would be a more apt description.

The Lakes Halt

Looking towards Stratford upon Avon across to the down platform with its simple waiting room and Malthouse Lane road bridge
Ref: gwrtl509
Lens of Sutton
Facing Stratford upon Avon and the down platform with its waiting room and Malthouse Lane road bridge
Close up showing the two simple timber-framed and clad passenger waiting room on each of The Lakes' short platforms
Ref: gwrtl509
Lens of Sutton
Close up showing the two simple timber passenger waiting room on each of The Lakes' short platforms
Looking in the general direction of Birmingham towards the point where the path from Malthouse Lane joins the down platform
Ref: gwrtl510
Lens of Sutton
Looking north towards the point where the path from Malthouse Lane joins the down platform
Close up showing details of the down platform passenger waiting room and the white hut on the up platform used as a ticket office
Ref: gwrtl510a
Lens of Sutton
Close up of the down platform waiting room and the white hut on the up platform used as a ticket office
View of a three-car DMU forming the 4 15pm Moor Street to Henley in Arden departing from The Lakes Halt on 25th August 1962
Ref: gwrtl2862
Stations UK
Still retaining its GWR station sign, this 1959 image shows some improvements have been made since first built

A 1973 view of the remains of down platform waiting room which incredibly is still being used by passengers
Ref: gwrtl1845
D Churchill
A 1973 view of the remains of down platform waiting room which incredibly is still being used by passengers
View of a three-car DMU forming the 4 15pm Moor Street to Henley in Arden departing from The Lakes Halt on 25th August 1962
Ref: gwrtl1846
D Churchill
A 1973 view of the up platform's ticket office and waiting room which are in better condition

Locomotives and trains seen at or near The Lakes Halt

British Railways built 4-6-0 Castle class No 7014 'Caerhays Castle' is on an up West of England service approaching the Lakes Halt
Ref: gwrtl1361
Colour Rail
BR built 4-6-0 No 7014 'Caerhays Castle' is on an up West of England service approaching the Lakes Halt
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 Grange class No 6834 'Dummer Grange' is seen just south of The Lakes Halt whilst at the head of an up freight on 25th August 1962
Ref: gwrtl1377
M Mensing
Ex-GWR 4-6-0 No 6834 'Dummer Grange' is seen just south of The Lakes Halt whilst at the head of an up freight
View of a three-car DMU forming the 4 15pm Moor Street to Henley in Arden departing from The Lakes Halt on 25th August 1962
Ref: gwrtl1362
M Mensing
A three-car DMU on the 4:15pm Moor Street to Henley in Arden leaving The Lakes Halt on 25th August 1962

Ordnance Survey maps and schematic drawings of The Lakes Haly

A schematic drawing of 'The Lakes Halt' showing the basic configuration of platforms and passenger shelters circa 1950
Ref: gwrtl2860
C Maggs
A schematic drawing of 'The Lakes Halt' showing the basic configuration of platforms and passenger shelters circa 1950
A 1938 Ordnance Survey map of The Lakes Halt showing its relationship to the immediate area
Ref: gwrtl2861
Ordnance Survey
A 1938 Ordnance Survey map of The Lakes Halt showing its relationship to the immediate area