·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

Birmingham New Street Station

New Street Station (226) Locomotives seen at New Street station (295)

The complex of three stations located at or near to Curzon Street station - being the termini of the London and Birmingham Railway (L&BR), the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway (B&DJR) and the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway (B&GR) - was very quickly overwhelmed by the increasing amount of railway traffic as Birmingham became an important hub for industry and commerce. The enormous impact of the railways can be measured by the fact that during the decade after their arrival, Birmingham's population increased to over 140,000, and by the 1860s the figure had rocketed to more than a quarter of a million. The station was also inconveniently situated at the fringes of the growing town (Birmingham was not awarded city status until 1889 a half century after the arrival of the railways) and it was decided that what was required was a station which was not only large enough but also grand enough to reflect the town's importance. It should be noted that after the opening of New Street station in 1854, Curzon Street was still used initially for a brief time by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) for some local services and for a longer period, for excursion traffic too.

The original station was, for a short period of time, termed 'Navigation Street' and even 'Grand Central Station', only assuming the title 'New Street' with the opening of Stephenson Place. The latter becoming a short cut to both the station and Queen's Hotel from New Street thoroughfare, some 60 yards distant. Whilst the internal layout of the new station was planned by Robert Stephenson and his assistants, the external buildings and those on the frontage were designed by the architect JW Livock. The single arched train shed which covered most of the station, designed by Edward Alfred Cowper who had previously worked on the design of the Crystal Palace, was built using 115 tons of glass and 1400 tons of iron sheeting in the domed part alone. Described as a crescent-trust roof, the roof had thirty-six trusses, each weighing forty-five tons. The elegant roof was later marred when it was reinforced with additional numerous steel tie bars after the collapse of a smaller roof at Charing Cross station in 1905. The major part of the ironwork was supplied and erected by Messrs Fox, Henderson & Company of London Works in Smethwick, this being one of their last contracts before they went into liquidation in 1853.

When it was completed the station had, until the opening of St Pancras in 1868, the largest single span arched roof in the world, being 212ft wide and 840ft long. The trainshed covered four through platforms and four turntable roads for marshalling trains (in addition to the locomotive turntable there were eventually twenty-six small turntables located throughout the station). Because of the station's large size and location in the centre of the city a footbridge was built to provide public access from one side of Birmingham to the other. New Street station was initially opened to passengers in 1851 and went on to be officially opened in a low key manner on 1st June 1854. The Queen's Hotel, which formed one side of the station, was also opened on 1st June 1854 being designed to meet passenger demand for accommodation in the city centre. It too was designed by William Livock and was a four storey building with an original sixty rooms in a plain, Italianate style which gave New Street its general appearance.

It is often wrongly stated that New Street station was jointly operated by the LNWR and the Midland Railway (MR). Up to 1897 the station was in fact owned and operated by the LNWR, when a joint tenancy was established between the two companies. Prior to this date the MR was only granted running rights because it had inherited the running rights previously granted to two of its former constituent companies; the B&DJR and the B&GR. Even when the 1885 extension first opened, this side of New Street station was not solely dedicated to the MR's services being also used initially by the LNWR for some local suburban services. However, the two sections of the station located on either side of Queens Drive were quickly to become dedicated to each company's services. From the 1897 joint tenancy until 1923, when both companies became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway, each company appointed for a period of twelve months either an overall manager or station superintendent supported by a joint committee with equal representation for both companies. Hence all five signal cabins were built to LNWR designs and staffed by LNWR personnel. The MR was compelled to pay a contribution towards the operating costs for its use of the station.

The Midland Extension, as it was termed in an official MR guide to New Street published in 1884, opened on 8th February 1885 when the first platform came into use. By October of the same year the full working pattern had been established with north-east to south-west expresses entirely diverted to the extension. The total area of the combined station was fourteen and half acres with eight acres being with the two train sheds. The Midland Extension was reported to have cost half a million pounds. The extension required much remodelling of the surrounding streets. Some, such as Queen Street disappeared whilst others, such as the meandering Great Queen Street, were realigned, the latter being converted to a broad, straight carriage drive. At least one undated drawing drawing held in Network Rail's archives, shows the carriage way of the proposed combined station retaining the name Great Queen Street, whereas others published shortly after opening confirm the name as Queens Drive. The extension was notable in that its platforms were curved reflecting the authorities desire to limit the purchase costs of land to the minimum.

Use the links below to access the images and text on this page:

The L&NWR 1852 station

An illustrated view of the interior of the Grand Station viewed from the Wolverhampton end of Platform 3 with the Queens Hotel seen on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str1874
Illustrated London News
Interior of the Grand Station viewed from the northern end of Platform 3 with the Queens Hotel on the left
An illustrated view of the inside of the Great Central Station looking along Platform 1 from the Stour Valley bay end with a train standing on the central road of the bay
Ref: lnwrbns_str1888
Illustrated Midland News
An illustrated view of the inside of the Great Central Station looking along Platform 1 from the Stour Valley bay
An illustrated view of passengers embarking on one of the principal express services departing from Platform 2 with luggage being loaded on top of the coaches
Ref: lnwrbns_str1881
Illustrated Midland News
View of passengers embarking on one of the principal express services departing from Platform 2
View looking East towards London from the West end of platform 1 with platform 2 on the right and platform 3 on the very right
Ref: lnwrbns_str397
L&GRP
Looking east from the west end of platform 1 with platform 2 on the right and platform 3 on the very right
Close up showing platform 1 was accessed via steps down from the hotel off Stephenson place and not via steps from the footbridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str397a
L&GRP
Close up showing platform 1 was accessed via steps down from the hotel off Stephenson place

Close up showing the two-storey building housing the LNWR and MR booking offices on the ground floor and the pay and detectives offices on the first floor
Ref: lnwrbns_str397b
L&GRP
Close up showing the two-storey building housing the LNWR and MR booking offices on the ground floor
View looking from the 'Spare Carriage' sidings located on the East side of New Street station looking West towards the platforms circa 1863
Ref: lnwrbns_str1872
J Edgington
Looking from the Carriage sidings located on the East side of the station looking West towards the platforms
Close up showing the four-compartment third class coach with luggage rails on the roof and tarpaulin sheet and ropes
Ref: lnwrbns_str1872a
J Edgington
Close up showing the four-compartment third class coach with luggage rails on the roof and tarpaulin sheet and ropes
View of New Street station looking from the LNWR parcels office which was located at the East end of platform 3, circa 1880s
Ref: lnwrbns_str1861
T Lewis
New Street station looking from the LNWR parcels office which was located at the East end of platform 3
Close up showing the cleaning of one of the lamp's above the ramp on platform 3 whilst the platform's up signal is being repaired or altered
Ref: lnwrbns_str1861a
T Lewis
Close up of the cleaning of one of the lamp's whilst the platform's up signal is being repaired or altered

A later view of New Street station looking from the parcels office which was located at the East end of platform 3 circa 1905
Ref: lnwrbns_str1860
British Railways
New Street station looking from the parcels office which was located at the East end of platform 3
Looking towards Wolverhampton from above the carriage and parcels dock with a wagon turntable and shunting horse in the foreground
Ref: lnwrbns_str395
Postcard
Looking to Wolverhampton from above the carriage with a wagon turntable and shunting horse in the foreground
Looking East towards London and the rebuilt passenger footbridge with platform 3 on the right and the now widened platform 1 on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str394
Postcard
Looking towards the rebuilt passenger footbridge with platform 3 on the right and platform 1 on the left
Close up showing the two road Stour Valley bay located at  the West end of Platform 1 together with the ramp down to the subway
Ref: lnwrbns_str394a
Postcard
Close up showing the Stour Valley bay located at the West end of Platform 1 and the ramp down to the subway
Close up showing on the left Platform One's line for through traffic and on the right Platform Two's with the two storage sidings in the centre
Ref: lnwrbns_str394b
Postcard
Close up showing on the left Platform One's line for through traffic and on the right Platform Two's

Close up showing Platform 2 on the left with Platform 3 together with the building accommodating the refreshment room on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str394c
Postcard
Close up showing Platform 2 on the left and the building accommodating the refreshment room on the right
Looking towards the West end of the station along platform 2 as LNWR 2-2-2 'Small Bloomer' No 1816 'Vandal' stands on one of the centre roads
Ref: lnwrbns_str405
LNWR Society
Looking along platform 2 as LNWR 2-2-2 'Small Bloomer' No 1816 'Vandal' stands on one of the centre roads
Close up of platform 2 showing the row of ornate cast-iron pairs of lamps which was the LNWR's method of providing light  New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str405a
LNWR Society
Close up showing the row of pairs of ornate cast-iron lamps providing light New Street station
Close up showing New Street No 3 signal cabin and the signals controlling the passage of trains travelling towards the camera on the second and fourth tracks
Ref: lnwrbns_str405b
LNWR Society
Close up of New Street No 3 signal cabin and the signals controlling trains travelling on the second and fourth tracks
Close up showing New Street No 3 signal cabin and the signals controlling the passage of trains travelling towards the camera on the second and fourth tracks
Ref: lnwrbns_str405d
LNWR Society
Close up showing a 32 foot five-compartment all third six-wheel carriage No 1523 built about 1880

Looking West along the now widened Platform One with the South Staffordshire bay on the right and the through line on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str402
NRM
Looking along Platform One with the South Staffordshire bay on the right and the through line on the left
Close up of Platform One with a local train standing at the platform with one of the carriages carrying a 'Leamington' destination board
Ref: lnwrbns_str402a
NRM
Close up of a local passenger train with a carriage carrying a 'Leamington' destination board on the side
Close up showing the buffer stops of the South Staffordshire bay and the Midland Railway coaches being used for a train to Bristol via the Camp Hill line
Ref: lnwrbns_str402d
NRM
Close up of the buffer stops of the South Staffordshire bay and the Midland Railway coaches for a train to Bristol
Looking towards Platform 3 across the passenger footbridge with train indicator boards to the right by the Stour Valley bay
Ref: lnwrbns_str396
Postcard
Looking towards Platform 3 and the passenger footbridge with train indicator boards to the right
Looking from the Wolverhampton end of Platform 3 towards the passenger footbridge and the Queens Hotel on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str408
Postcard
Looking from the west end of Platform 3 towards the passenger footbridge and the Queens Hotel on the left

View looking towards Wolverhampton from the spare carriage sidings located on the East side of the station with Platform Two seen immediately ahead
Ref: lnwrbns_str413
Postcard
View from the carriage sidings located on the East side of the station with Platform Two seen immediately ahead
LMS railway photo
Ref: lnwrbns_str413a
Postcard
Close up of the parcels dock and carriage landing showing two ventilated vans used for milk transportation
Looking from the Queens Hotel across to Platform 3's building showing a mixture of six-wheel coaching stock at the platforms
Ref: lnwrbns_str1779
NRM
Looking from the Queens Hotel across to Platform 3 showing a mix of six-wheel coaches at the platforms
Looking North from the East of Platform 2 towards the central footbridge and Navigation Street circa 1865
Ref: lnwrbns_str1871
LMS Magazine
Looking North from the East of Platform 2 towards the central footbridge and Navigation Street circa 1865
Looking from the East end of the South Staffordshire bay across New Street station towards the South end of the passenger footbridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str412
L&GRP
Looking from the South Staffordshire bay across the station towards the South end of the passenger footbridge

Close up of the unidentified LNWR 2-4-2T locomotive at the head of a local passenger service with a flat truck behind the bunker loaded with a road cart
Ref: lnwrbns_str412a
L&GRP
Close up of the LNWR 2-4-2T locomotive at the head of a local passenger service with a flat truck behind the bunker
Looking East towards Coventry along from the West end of Platform One with a pair of LNWR 2-4-2T tanks standing in the platform
Ref: lnwrbns_str416
Postcard
Looking East along from the West end of Platform One with a pair of LNWR 2-4-2T tanks standing in the platform
Close up showing the platform serving trains to Euston on the left and on the right, the South Staffordshire Railway
Ref: lnwrbns_str1858a
British Railways
Close up showing the platform serving trains to Euston on the left and on the right, the South Staffordshire Railway
The station viewed from the Coffee Tavern located at the West end of Platform 3 and above the Coffee House Bay
Ref: lnwrbns_str2877
J Wybrow
The station viewed from the Coffee Tavern located at the West end of Platform 3 and above the Coffee House Bay
Close up showing the exit ramp to Platform 3 from the station's western subway and a water column
Ref: lnwrbns_str2877a
J Wyebrow
Close up showing the exit ramp to Platform 3 from the station's western subway and a water column

Close up showing the Stour Valley Bay sign and some six-wheel coaching stock standing on the Western portion of Platform One
Ref: lnwrbns_str1866b
LNWR Society
Close up of the Stour Valley Bay sign and some six-wheel coaches standing on the Western portion of Platform 1
View from the Queens Hotel looking across to the West end of Platform 3 showing the signals controlling access to the tunnel to Wolverhampton
Ref: lnwrbns_str1863
R Foster
View from the Queens Hotel of the West end of Platform 3 showing the signals controlling access to Wolverhampton
Looking West along Platform 3 with on the right a rake of LNWR 57 ft lavatory stock coaches built during the First World War period
Ref: lnwrbns_str1856
HJ Whitlock & Son
Looking West along Platform 3 and on the right LNWR 57 ft lavatory stock coaches built during the First World War
View taken from the Queens Hotel from above the South Staffordshire bay showing the entrance to the LNWR's parcel offices on Platform 3 to the left of the footbridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str1858
British Railways
View showing the entrance to the LNWR's parcel offices on Platform 3 to the left of the footbridge
View looking from the offices in Queens Hotel from the Stour Valley bay across to to the entrance for passengers to the right of the building on Platform 3
Ref: lnwrbns_str1859
P Lewis
Looking from the Queens Hotel above the Stour Valley bay across to the passenger entrance on Platform 3

Close up showing a LNWR up express train standing at Platform 1's through platform with New Street No 3 signal cabin perched above
Ref: lnwrbns_str1859a
P Lewis
Close up showing a LNWR up express standing at Platform 1's through platform with New Street No 3 signal cabin above
Looking towards Wolverhampton along New Street station's Platform 3 with on the right train indicator boards and clocks standing on Platform 2
Ref: lnwrbns_str423
Postcard
Looking to Wolverhampton along Platform 3 showing on the right a set of train indicator boards and clocks
Close up showing the enlarged station building on Platform 3 which was expanded to include an additional booking office on the ground floor
Ref: lnwrbns_str1859b
P Lewis
Close up of the enlarged building on Platform 3 to include additional booking office on the ground floor
Close up showing the pick up and dropping off point in Queens Drive for passengers using for the LNWR portion of New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1859c
P Lewis
Close up of the cab rank in Queens Drive for passengers using for the LNWR portion of New Street station
View from the Queens Hotel showing a typical busy sunny afternoon scene at New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1857
British Railways
View from the Queens Hotel showing a typical busy sunny afternoon scene at New Street station

Close up showing the archway through which passengers walked to the newly erected station extension
Ref: lnwrbns_str1857b
British Railways
Close up showing the archway through which passengers walked to the newly erected station extension
Close up showing passengers standing by the station's Cloak Room on  Platform 3 as the train to Walsall waits to depart
Ref: lnwrbns_str2877b
J Wybrow
Close up showing passengers by the station's Cloak Room on Platform 3 as the train to Walsall waits to depart
The Wathes owned cart is performing a tight turn on the ramp to the parcels and produce dock in New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str2955
G Dowling
The Wathes owned cart is performing a tight turn on the ramp to the parcels and produce dock in the station
Looking towards Stephenson Street from Navigation Street bridge with the West end screen of the original New Street station on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str1855
Birmingham City Library
Looking towards Stephenson Street from Navigation Street with the screen of the original station on the right
Looking towards the West end of Platform 3 from the parcels sidings with LMS 2-6-2T No 143 standing at the head of a Class B stopping passenger service
Ref: lnwrbns_str1765
Birmingham Museums Trust
View of Great Queens Street and Cowper's 1854 roof in original condition before the Midland Extension was built

Looking towards the West end of Platform 3 from the parcels sidings with LMS 2-6-2T No 143 standing at the head of a Class B stopping passenger service
Ref: lnwrbns_str1889
Mile Post 2½
Looking from the parcels sidings as LMS 2-6-2T No 143 stands at the head of a Class B stopping passenger service

back to top

Schematic diagrams of the L&NWR station

View of the layout of the original station showing the Queen's hotel at the bottom and Great Queen's Street at the top
Ref:lnwrbns_str426
Ordance Survey
The layout of the original station showing the Queen's hotel at the bottom and Great Queen's Street at the top
Close up showing the access to the spare carriage sidings and the horse & carriage landing on the East side of the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str426a
Ordance Survey
Close up showing the spare carriage sidings and the horse & carriage landing on the East side of the station
Close up showing the West side of the original station with the turntable located next to the approach to the tunnel to Wolverhampton
Ref: lnwrbns_str426b
Ordance Survey
Close up showing the West side of the station with the turntable located next to the approach to the tunnel
An 1854 map of New Street Station showing on the left the two roads entering the station from Euston and Derby
Ref: lnwrbns_str2941
Powell Hendry
An 1854 map of New Street Station showing on the left the two roads entering the station from Euston and Derby
Close up showing the eastern end of the 1854 station with the Queens Hotel fronting on to Stephenson Place
Ref: lnwrbns_str2941a
Powell Hendry
Close up showing the eastern end of the 1854 station with the Queens Hotel fronting on to Stephenson Place

Close up showing the western end of the 1854 station with the locomotive turntable seen on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str2941b
Powell Hendry
Close up showing the western end of the 1854 station with the locomotive turntable seen on the right

back to top

The Midland Railway 1885 extension

A June 1883 view of the site of the extension to New Street station with Hill Street seen on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str3078
T Clempson
A June 1883 view of the site of the extension to New Street station with Hill Street seen on the left
An early view of Platform 4 looking East with the entrance off Queens Drive to the left and with a MR train for Kings Norton standing in the platform
Ref: lnwrbns_str404
NRM
An early view of Platform 4 looking East with a Midland Railway train for Kings Norton standing in the platform
Close up showing the MR Booking Office on the left and the steps from Platform 4 to the footbridge to its right
Ref: lnwrbns_str404a
NRM
Close up showing the MR Booking Office on the left and the steps from Platform 4 to the footbridge to its right
Close up showing the up face of Platform 5 which handled Midland Railway trains to Derby and Leicester
Ref: lnwrbns_str404b
NRM
Close up showing the up face of Platform 5 which handled Midland Railway trains to Derby and Leicester
View from the Midland Railway's Parcels Offices looking West towards New Street No 2 Signal Box with Platform 6 on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str1868
LNWR Society
View from the MR's Parcels Offices looking West towards New Street No 2 Signal Box with Platform 6 on the left

Close up showing both Platform 6 on the left and Platform 5 with a rake of Midland Railway coaching stock standing on the central storage road
Ref: lnwrbns_str1868a
LNWR Society
Close up of Platform 6 on the left and Platform 5 with a rake of MR coaching stock standing on the central storage road
View of New Street's newly opened extension showing Platforms 6 on the left and a set of LNWR carriages standing at Platform 5's up platform
Ref: lnwrbns_str1870
LNWR Society
View of the new Platforms 6 on the left and a set of LNWR carriages standing at Platform 5's up platform
Close up showing the new extension's main station building which housed the offices and the principal passenger facilities on Platform Six
Ref: lnwrbns_str1870a
LNWR Society
Close up showing the new station building which housed the offices and the principal passenger facilities
Close up of Platform 5 with the LNWR local passenger train behind and the Cashier's Office and Midland Agent's offices to the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str1870b
LNWR Society
Close up of Platform 5 and the LNWR local train with the Cashier's Office and Midland Agent's offices to the left
Looking towards Derby with Platform 5 and New Street No 4 Signal Box  on the right on 12th Oct 1903
Ref: lnwrbns_str417
NRM
Looking towards Derby with Platform 5 and New Street No 4 Signal Box on the right on 12th Oct 1903

Close up of Platform 4 showing a variety of platform trollies and on the extreme left, for carriage oil lamps
Ref: lnwrbns_str417a
NRM
Close up of Platform 4 showing a variety of platform trollies and on the extreme left, for carriage oil lamps
Platforms 4 and 5 looking East whilst a MR train made up of a variety of coaching stock stands in the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str409
NRM
Platforms 4 and 5 looking East whilst a MR train made up of a variety of coaching stock stands in the station
Close up with two unidentified Midland locomotives standing on the centre road and the cantilevered LNWR signal over the platform
Ref: lnwrbns_str417b
NRM
Close up showing two unidentified MR locomotives on the centre road and the cantilevered LNWR signal
Close up of Platform 5 and the various Waiting Rooms provided for both Ladies and Gentlemen of all classes
Ref: lnwrbns_str417c
NRM
Close up of Platform 5 and the various Waiting Rooms provided for both Ladies and Gentlemen of all classes
Close up of Platform 5 showing the General Waiting Room, the ramp to the subway, a variety of oil lamps
Ref: lnwrbns_str417d
NRM
Close up of Platform 5 showing the General Waiting Room, the ramp to the subway, a variety of oil lamps

Looking down Station Street towards the front of the Market Hall with the entrance to the cart road on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str1869
LNWR
Looking down Station Street towards the front of the Market Hall with the entrance to the cart road on the left
Close up of wagons being used during the building work still being undertaken after the station had been opened
Ref: lnwrbns_str1869a
LNWR
Close up of wagons being used during the building work still being undertaken after the station had been opened
Close up showing the station fronting Station Street and the access leading up to the passenger footbridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str1869b
LNWR
Close up showing the station fronting Station Street and the access leading up to the passenger footbridge
An elevated view of the canopy at the entrance to the new extension which provided protection to both passengers and parcel traffic arriving via Station Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str1854
Birmingham City Library
Elevated view of the canopy over the new extension which provides protection to passengers and parcel traffic
Close up of the extension's main building with the footbridge passing through its centre on the first floor
Ref: lnwrbns_str1854a
Birmingham City Library
Close up of the extension's main building with the footbridge passing through its centre on the first floor

Looking towards the Market Hall along Station Street now with a cobbled surface and electrified tram lines and new buildings in filling the gaps
Ref: lnwrbns_str1853
NRM
Looking towards the Market Hall along Station Street now with a cobbled surface and electrified tram lines
Close up showing the entrance from Station Street in to the station via both the passenger footbridge and the adjacent cab driveway
Ref: lnwrbns_str1774
NRM
Close up of the Station Street entrance into the station via both the passenger footbridge and the adjacent cab driveway

back to top

Schematic diagrams of the enlarged station

A 1950 view of the layout of the enlarged station with the Midland portion at the bottom and the turntable at the West end of the station
Ref:lnwrbns_str1310
M Hitches
A 1950 view of the layout of the enlarged station with the Midland portion at the bottom of the station
Close up of the 1950 layout showing the West end of the station trackwork and No 5 Signal Box and the adjacent turntable
Ref: lnwrbns_str1310a
M Hitches
Close up of the 1950 layout showing the West end of the station, No 5 Signal Cabin and the adjacent turntable
Close up of the 1950 plan showing the revised platform layout which was adopted before the station opened in 1854
Ref: lnwrbns_str1310b
M Hitches
Close up of the 1950 plan showing the revised platform layout adopted before the station opened in 1854
Close up of the 1950 plan showing the Midland Railway's station offices and platform layout complete with its notorious fish sidings
Ref: lnwrbns_str1310c
M Hitches
Close up of the 1950 plan showing the Midland Railway's station offices and platform layout complete with its notorious fish sidings
Part One of the schematic plan of New Street station showing lines from Euston and Derby circa 1910
Ref: lnwrbns_str2943
Powell Hendry
Part One of the schematic plan of New Street station showing lines from Euston and Derby circa 1910

Part Two of the schematic plan of New Street station showing lines to Wolverhampton circa 1910
Ref: lnwrbns_str2944
Powell Hendry
Part Two of the schematic plan of New Street station showing lines to Wolverhampton circa 1910
View of the gradient post near Proof House Junction showing the change in the descent towards New Street station
Ref: mr_generic1430b
Midland Railway
Part of MR Distance Diagram dated 1913 showing the two routes south from New Street to Kings Norton

back to top

The public right of way and passenger footbridge

View of the passenger footbridge in the original portion of New Street with building work is still evident on Platform 3 next to Queens Drive
Ref: lnwrbns_str1865
LNWR Society
The passenger footbridge in the original portion of New Street with building work still evident on Platform three
View from one of the windows in the Queens Hotel across the footbridge towards the section of Queens Drive covered by the canopy
Ref: lnwrbns_str1866
LNWR Society
View from the Queens Hotel across the footbridge towards the section of Queens Drive covered by the canopy
View looking from one of the Queens Hotel's windows above the passenger footbridge looking towards the station building on Platform 3
Ref: lnwrbns_str432
NRM
View from the Queens Hotel's windows above the passenger footbridge looking towards the station building on Platform 3
View of No 3 Signal Cabin showing the addition of the four-sided clock prior to the eection of the tarpaulin roof and removal of arches over the footbridge steps
Ref: lnwrbns_str1780
M Newman
New Street No 3 Signal Cabin showing new four-sided clock but prior to the erection of the new sides and tarpaulin roof
View of New Street No 3 Signal Cabin showing a new semaphore signal and bell over one of Platform 2's roads as well as the removal of the arches
Ref: lnwrbns_str1311
British Railways
View of New Street No 3 Signal Cabin showing a new semaphore signal and bell over one of Platform 2's roads

View of New Street station's No 3 Signal Cabin under the LMS' ownership showing various modifications including the erection of a clock above the cabin
Ref: lnwrbns_str1848
British Railways
New Street's No 3 Signal Cabin under LMS ownership showing various changes including a clock above the cabin
View of the passenger footbridge as it crosses over Queens Drive looking towards Platforms 7 to 11 in the Midland section of New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1786
British Railways
The footbridge as it crosses over Queens Drive looking towards Platforms 7 to 11 in the MR section of the station
View of the passenger footbridge from Queens Drive looking towards Stephenson Street and Platforms 1 to 6 of New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str437
British Railways
The passenger footbridge seen from Queens Drive looking towards Stephenson Street and Platforms 1 to 6
Looking along the passenger footbridge from Platform 7 towards Platform 1 and the Queens Hotel with the steps to Platform 7 on either side of the footbridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str1885
Postcard
Looking along the passenger footbridge from Platform 7 towards Platform 1 and beyond to the Queens Hotel

back to top

The Queens Hotel

An engraved illustration of the entrance to New Street station and the frontage of the Queen's Hotel shortly after the station was opened
Ref: lnwrbns_str1873
London Illustrated News
An engraved early illustration of the entrance to New Street station and the frontage of the Queen's Hotel
View of the Queens and North Western Hotel showing the enlarged wings and private access road to the front of the building
Ref: lnwrbns_str1852
R Foster
View of the Queens and North Western Hotel showing the enlarged wings and private access road to the building
View of the Queen's & North Western Hotel viewed from Stephenson Place showing the General Enquiry Offices at the front by the main entrance
Ref: lnwrbns_str1864
NRM
The Queen's & North Western Hotel viewed from Stephenson Place showing the General Enquiry Offices at the front
LMS railway photo
Ref: lnwrbns_str1879
Anon
Another view of the hotel showing the General Enquiry Offices at the front by the main entrance
A coloured postcard looking from Stephenson Place showing the entrance to the private road in front of the Queen's & North Western Hotel
Ref: lnwrbns_str1880
P King
A coloured view from Stephenson Place showing the entrance to the private road in front of the hotel

External view of the enlarged Queens Hotel which fronted New Street with the hotel entrance now sign posted on the small canopy seen to the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str1851
CR Clinker
The enlarged Queens Hotel fronting New Street with the hotel sign on the small canopy on the right
Looking towards the Queen's Hotel on the right from the West end of Stephenson Street showing the new 1917 built main frontage
Ref: lnwrbns_str1912
R Foster
View of the Queen's Hotel showing the 1917 built main frontage seen from the West end of Stephenson Street
A post-Second World War view showing the Queen's hotel and New Street station's entrance accessed from Stephenson Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str430
Anon
A post war view of the Queen's hotel and New Street station's entrance accessed from Stephenson Street
Photograph of New Street Station's sign on the Queens Hotel's facade and and the new clock
Ref: lnwrbns_str2936
Birmingham Post
Photograph of New Street Station's sign on the Queens Hotel's facade and and the new clock
View of the front of New Street station and the Queens Hotel on 24th May 1965 shortly before both were to be demolished
Ref: lnwrbns_str2934
Birmingham Post
New Street station and the Queens Hotel on 24th May 1965 shortly before both were to be demolished

A photograph showing the Queens Hotel shortly before the LNWR was amalgamated into the LMS in 1923
Ref: lnwrbns_str2940
J Alsop
A photograph showing the Queens Hotel shortly before the LNWR was amalgamated into the LMS in 1923
View of the new clock provided above the passenger entrance to New Street station from the Queen's Hotel in Stephenson Place
Ref: lnwrbns_str1878
Anon
The new clock provided above the entrance to New Street station via the Queen's Hotel in Stephenson Place
A 1963 view of Stephenson Street with the Queens Hotel and New Street station on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str3076
J Ball
A 1963 view of Stephenson Street with the Queens Hotel and New Street station on the right
A view of Stephenson Place looking from from New Street with the Queen's Hotel seen to the right of the impressive Exchange Building
Ref: lnwrbns_str1887
Birmingham Libraries
Stephenson Place viewed from New Street with the Queen's Hotel seen on the right of the impressive Exchange Building
View of the statue of Thomas Attwood, one of Birmingham's first two MPs, erected in June 1859 at the top of Stephenson Place
Ref: lnwrbns_str2938
J Alsop
Statue of Thomas Attwood, one of Birmingham's first two MPs, erected in June 1859 at the top of Stephenson Place

back to top

Queens Drive

View showing the newly built footbridge over Queens Drive and Platform's 7 brick and stucco finished office buildings
Ref: lnwrbns_str1867
LNWR Society
View showing the newly built footbridge over Queens Drive and Platform's 7 brick and stucco finished office buildings
Looking down Queens Drive from the junction with Worcester Street whilst on the right is the LNWR parcels offices and the steel girder forming part of the wall to the  depot
Ref: lnwrbns_str1862
R Foster
Queens Drive from the junction with Worcester Street whilst on the right are the LNWR parcels offices
Entrance to Queens Drive from the southern end, opposite the Market Hall, with the MR parcels office on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str2954
Birmingham Library
Queens Drive southern gated entrance opposite the Market Hall, with the MR parcels office on the left
An elevated view of Queens Drive at the junction with Hill Street showing the original gated entrance and a row of Hansom Cabs queuing at the covered entrance
Ref: lnwrbns_str410
Postcard
An elevated view of Queens Drive at the junction with Hill Street showing the station's original gated entrance
Looking Eastwards along Queens Drive towards the entrance to the portions of the station in 1952
Ref: lnwrbns_str2937
Birmingham Post
Looking Eastwards along Queens Drive towards the entrance to the portions of the station in 1952

Looking along Station Street towards Worcester Street and the former Midland Railway's parcel offices with the entrances to the station on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str1777
DJ Norton
Looking along Station Street towards Worcester Street and the parcel offices with the station entrances on the left
Looking from the East side of Queens Drive towards the central section of the station approach with the Midland portion on the left and the LNWR portion on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str1782
DJ Norton
Looking from the East side of Queens Drive towards the central section of the station approach
Looking down the slope of the Western entrance of Queens Drive with the covered central driveway now removed following bomb damage
Ref: lnwrbns_str1781
DJ Norton
Looking down the slope of the Western entrance of Queens Drive with the covered central driveway now removed
View looking West up Queens Drive towards Hill Street with the Midland portion on the left and the LNWR portion on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str1877
Anon
View looking up Queens Drive towards Hill Street with the MR portion on the left and the LNWR portion on the right
Close up of the East end of Queens Drive and the junction of Worcester Street and Station Street with the Midland Railway's parcel offices at the corner of Station Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str1295d
Birmingham Library
Close up of Queens Drive, the junction of Worcester Street, Station Street and the Midland Railway's parcel offices

A 1963 view looking East down Queens Drive towards the central driveway with St Martins's spire in the distance
Ref: lnwrbns_str3079
J Ball
A 1963 view looking East down Queens Drive towards the central driveway with St Martins's spire in the distance

back to top

Removal of the great train shed over the LNWR platforms

Another view of the train indicator board located off Queens Drive adjacent to Platform 4 which was brought into use on 17th August 1928
Ref: lnwrbns_str2951
Anon
Fireman damping down the fire following the air raid which caused significant damage to the LNWR side of the station
View of New Street station's centre lantern light and ventilation section being removed in 1945
Ref: lnwrbns_str1917
British Railways
View of New Street station's centre lantern light and ventilation section being removed in 1945
View from the former LNWR parcels sidings showing the final stages of the removal of EA Cowpers magnificent roof
Ref: lnwrbns_str1883
Postcard
View from the former LNWR parcels sidings showing the final stages of the removal of EA Cowpers magnificent roof
View of the travelling gantry in action over Platforms 4 and 5 deployed to assist in the safe demolition of Cowper's great roof
Ref: lnwrbns_str1918
L&GRP
The travelling gantry over Platforms 4 and 5 deployed to assist in the safe demolition of Cowper's great roof
View from the former LNWR parcels sidings located at the East end of New Street station showing the final stages of the removal of Cowpers magnificent roof
Ref: lnwrbns_str1919
L&GRP
From the former LNWR parcels sidings view of the final stages of the removal of Cowpers magnificent roof

Looking towards Wolverhampton showing the erection of the temporary roof above the West end of Platforms 2A and 3
Ref: lnwrbns_str1915
Real Photos
View looking West showing the erection of the temporary roof above the West end of Platforms 2A and 3

back to top

Post Second World War scenes of New Street station's LNWR platforms

Photograph of Wymans bookstall which was located on New Street station's Platform One circa 1958
Ref: lnwrbns_str2949
F Easton
Photograph of Wymans bookstall which was located on New Street station's Platform One circa 1958
An elevated view of the East end of New Street station and Platforms 1, 2, 3 and 4 showing a local passenger train departing for Coventry
Ref: lnwrbns_str1840
British Railways
An elevated view of New Street station and Platforms 1, 2, 3 and 4 showing a local train departing for Coventry
View showing the new Platform 3 on the right, Platforms 4 and 5 in the middle, and Platform 6 on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str400
British Railways
View showing the new Platform 3 on the right, Platforms 4 and 5 in the middle, and Platform 6 on the left
View from the Wolverhampton end of Platform 6, formerly Platform 3, showing the canopies over the platforms
Ref: lnwrbns_str1785
British Railways
View from the Wolverhampton end of Platform 6, formerly Platform 3, showing the canopies over the platforms
View from New Street No 1 Signal Cabin looking towards the Queens Hotel with the bay platforms Nos 1 and 2 on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str401
British Railways
View from New Street No 1 Signal Cabin looking to the Queens Hotel, on the right bay platforms Nos 1 and 2

An elevated view from the centre of the Queens Hotel looking towards the West end of the former LNWR portion of the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1784
British Railways
Elevated view from the Queens Hotel looking towards the West end of the former LNWR portion of the station
View from under Hill Street bridge towards the North end of Navigation Street bridge with Platforms 3, 4, 5 and 6 seen underneath and the Stour Valley bay lines on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str434
British Railways
View from under Hill Street bridge of Platforms 3, 4, 5 and 6 and the Stour Valley bay lines on the left
Close up of the Stour Valley bay lines with an unidentified ex-LMS 2P 4-4-0 locomotive being held by the signal
Ref: lnwrbns_str434a
British Railways
Close up of the Stour Valley bay lines with an unidentified ex-LMS 2P 4-4-0 locomotive being held by the signal
Close up showing an ex-LMS 4-6-0 locomotive standing at Platform 4 with a down Wolverhampton express
Ref: lnwrbns_str434b
British Railways
Close up showing an ex-LMS 4-6-0 locomotive standing at Platform 4 with a down Wolverhampton express
An aerial view from the Queens Hotel of the West end of New Street station with Queens Drive behind and Navigation Street bridge to the right on 19th March 1961
Ref: lnwrbns_str407
BR OPC
An aerial view of the west end of New Street station showing Queens Drive and Navigation Street bridge to the right

Elevated view looking towards Queens Drive and its junction with Navigation Street and Coffee House Bay
Ref: lnwrbns_str1774
WA Camwell
Elevated view looking towards Queens Drive and its junction with Navigation Street and Coffee House Bay
Close up showing the once gated entrance to Queens Drive accessed from Station Street at its junction with Hill Street and Navigation Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str1774a
WA Camwell
Close up of Queens Drive accessed from Station Street at its junction with Hill Street and Navigation Street
Close up showing the five ways junction of John Bright Street, Hill Street and Navigation Street the latter two continuing as bridges over the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1784a
British Railways
Close up showing the five ways junction of John Bright Street, Hill Street and Navigation Street
An elevated view of the disused and dismantled turntable situated opposite New Street No 5 Signal Cabin
Ref: lnwrbns_str1778
DJ Norton
An elevated view of the disused and dismantled turntable situated opposite New Street No 5 Signal Cabin
View of one of New Street station's colour lights controlling departures from the West end of the station installed after the removal of the roof
Ref: lnwrbns_str421
DJ Norton
One of the station's colour lights installed after the removal of the roof controlling departures from the station

Looking East along Platform 6 beneath the 'temporary' canopy structure towards Coventry in 1963
Ref: lnwrbns_str3080
J Ball
Looking East along Platform 6 beneath the 'temporary' canopy structure towards Coventry in 1963

back to top

Post Second World War scenes of the Midland Railway platforms

The West end of New Street station's Platform 8, the side of the original Platform 5 which handled local traffic, with the passenger footbridge in the middle distance
Ref: lnwrbns_str1766
DJ Norton
The West end of Platform 8 which handled local traffic, with the passenger footbridge in the middle distance
Looking along Platform 8 towards the West end of the station and New Street No 4 Signal Box as the sun streams through the roof on 1st August 1964
Ref: lnwrbns_str436
DJ Norton
Looking towards New Street No 4 Signal Cabin as the sun streams through the roof on 1st August 1964
Close up showing some of the several mail and parcel trollies positioned on Platform 7 ready to be loaded
Ref: lnwrbns_str1766a
DJ Norton
Close up showing some of the several mail and parcel trollies positioned on Platform 7 ready to be loaded
Looking along Platform 10, originally Platform 6, towards New Street No 2 Signal Box and Queens Drive bridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str391
L Stace
Looking along Platform 10, originally Platform 6, towards New Street No 2 Signal Box and Queens Drive bridge
View looking West along Platform 7 with Queens Drive being to the right and New Street No 4 Signal Box standing at the end of the opposite platform
Ref: lnwrbns_str1849
British Railways
Looking along Platform 7 with Queens Drive on the right and New Street No 4 Signal Cabin on the opposite platform

Looking from the buffer stops of Fish Sidings towards the West end of New Street station on 2nd April 1964
Ref: lnwrbns_str419
DJ Norton
Looking from the buffer stops of Fish Sidings towards the West end of New Street station on 2nd April 1964
View of a very busy Platform 7 seen from the passenger footbridge looking towards Queens Drive showing the building which initially housed offices for Midland Railway staff
Ref: lnwrbns_str406
BR OPC
Platform 7 seen from the passenger footbridge showing the building which initially housed offices for MR staff
Looking towards the East end of the station and New Street No 2 Signal Box from Platform 8 with numerous mail trollies evident on both platforms
Ref: lnwrbns_str1768
DJ Norton
Looking towards New Street No 2 Signal Cabin from Platform 8 with numerous mail trollies evident on both platforms
View of New Street No 2 Signal Cabin from  the parcel sidings located at the East end of the MR section of the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1841
RK Blencowe
View of New Street No 2 Signal Cabin from the parcel sidings located at the East end of the MR section of the station
View looking West of the steps leading off Platform 7 up to the pedestrian footbridge in 1954
Ref: lnwrbns_str2875
British Railways
View looking West of the steps leading off Platform 7 up to the pedestrian footbridge circa 1954

The Pines Express, a service between Manchester and Bournemouth, stands at Platform 7 waiting to depart
Ref: lnwrbns_str2876
British Railways
The Pines Express, a service between Manchester and Bournemouth, stands at Platform 7 waiting to depart
The closure of one of the station's cafeteria, bar and waiting room is recorded in this 1965 photograph
Ref: lnwrbns_str2935
Birmingham Post
The closure of one of the station's cafeteria, bar and waiting room is recorded in this 1965 photograph
View of the steps leading from the Station Street Booking Office up to the public footbridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str2950
Birmingham Post
View of the steps leading from the Station Street Booking Office up to the public footbridge
Another view of the entrance from Station Street showing posters advertising tickets to Aintree, Edinburgh and Bolton
Ref: lnwrbns_str1767
British Railways
Another view of the entrance from Station Street showing posters advertising tickets to Aintree, Edinburgh and Bolton
Looking from the other direction showing the gated entrance to the passenger footbridge on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str429
British Railways
Looking from the other direction showing the gated entrance to the passenger footbridge on the left

The Station Street entrance to New Street station with the pedestrian access to the footbridge on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str1884
Postcard
The Station Street entrance to New Street station with the pedestrian access to the footbridge on the left
LMS railway photo
Ref: lnwrbns_str1773
R.C. Bovill
A personal recollection of arriving at New Street station shortly after the end of the Second World War
Looking East along Platform 10 towards Derby with New Street No 2 Signal Cabin on the left in 1957
Ref: lnwrbns_str3081
RF Ball
Looking East along Platform 10 towards Derby with New Street No 2 Signal Cabin on the left in 1957

back to top

Elevated and aerial views of New Street station

New Street station from above showing how it dominated this part of the city centre with the Queens Hotel towering above
Ref: lnwrbns_str1295
Birmingham Library
New Street station from above showing how it dominated this part of the city centre with the Queens Hotel towering above
Close up showing the station's relationship with Hill Street, Navigation Street, John Bright Street and Queens Drive
Ref: lnwrbns_str1295a
Birmingham Library
Close up showing the station's relationship with Hill Street, Navigation Street, John Bright Street and Queens Drive
Close up showing the West end of New Street station after the removal of the glazed panels to Paxton's roof
Ref: lnwrbns_str1295b
Birmingham Library
Close up showing the West end of New Street station after the removal of the glazed panels to Paxton's roof
Close up showing the 1885 extension and the original station linked by the covered section of Queens Drive
Ref: lnwrbns_str1295c
Birmingham Library
Close up showing the 1885 extension and the original station linked by the covered section of Queens Drive
An elevated view of New Street station looking East down Queens Drive with the LNWR portion on the left and the Midland portion on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str393
Postcard
An elevated view of both sides of New Street station looking East down Queens Drive with the LNWR portion on the left

Close up showing Hill Street and Navigation Street junction and in the foreground tracks to the LNWR and the Midland sections of the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str393a
Postcard
Close up showing Hill Street and Navigation Street junction and in the foreground tracks to both sections of the station
Close up view showing the gated entrance at the top of Queens Drive and its junction with Hill Street which was opposite to John Bright Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str393b
Postcard
Close up view showing the gated entrance at the top of Queens Drive and its junction with Hill Street
LMS railway photo
Ref: lnwrbns_str1876
Anon
A post-war elevated view of of the station looking down Queens Drive with the former LNWR portion now roofless
An aerial view of the West end of New Street station showing the trackwork approaching to the station and part of the turntable
Ref: lnwrbns_str1910
LE Copeland
An aerial view of the West end of New Street station showing the turntable and trackwork approaching to the station
Close up showing an unidentified LMS 2P 4-4-0 standing on the down line leading from the Midland portion of the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1910a
LE Copeland
Close up of a LMS 2P 4-4-0 standing on the down line leading from the Midland portion of the station

Close up showing the water tank and Permanent Way buildings erected behind New Street No 5 Signal Box and adjacent to Hill Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str1911a
LE Copeland
Close up of the water tank and PW buildings erected behind New Street No 5 Signal Box and adjacent to Hill Street
Close up of the timber signal gantry adjacent to New Street No 5 Signal Cabin controlling access to the tunnel
Ref: lnwrbns_str1911b
LE Copeland
Close up of the timber signal gantry adjacent to New Street No 5 Signal Cabin controlling access to the tunnel

back to top

Passenger information systems at New Street station

Close up of the steps to the passenger footbridge with the train indicator boards indicating a Midland train to Worcester, Gloucester and Bristol
Ref: lnwrbns_str402c
NRM
Close up showing the train indicator boards indicating a Midland train to Worcester, Gloucester and Bristol
Close up of the passenger footbridge showing the departure indicator board suspended over head and in between the steps to Platform One
Ref: lnwrbns_str1865a
LNWR Society
Close up of the departure indicator board suspended overhead and between the steps to Platform One
View of the new LMS Enquiry Office opened in 1930 and located in one of the original entrance archways in Stephenson Place
Ref: lnwrbns_str1916
NRM
The new LMS Enquiry Office opened in 1930 and located in one of the original entrance archways in Stephenson Place
A 1936 view of New Street's station announcer and his public address equipment which located in a small office off Platform One
Ref: lnwrbns_str1922
LMS Magazine
New Street's station announcer and his public address equipment located in an office off Platform One
Workmen erecting one of New Street station's twenty-five loudspeakers deployed in October 1925 to improve station announcements
Ref: lnwrbns_str1921
LMS Magazine
Workmen erecting one of New Street station's twenty-five loudspeakers used to improve station announcements

View of the 25 feet wide train indicator board erected by the LMS in September 1926 at the Station Street entrance to Platform Six
Ref: lnwrbns_str1904
British Railways
The 25 feet wide train indicator board erected by the LMS in September 1926 at the Station Street entrance
Another view of the train indicator board located off Queens Drive adjacent to Platform 4 which was brought into use on 17th August 1928
Ref: lnwrbns_str1905
British Railways
Another view of the indicator board located next to Platform 4 which was brought into use on 17th August 1928
Looking West of the final stages of the demolition of the original 1854 station with the Queen's Hotel on the right still towering over the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str428
LMS Magazine
The LMS' 1928 Timetable and Departure Information Board located at the entrance to Platform 4 off Queens Drive
View of one of the hand-operated roller departure timetable blinds introduced by the LMS being changed at New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str415
L Hanson
One of the hand operated roller timetable blinds introduced by the LMS being changed at New Street station

back to top

Demolition and rebuilding of New Street station

BR 5MT 4-6-0 No 73019 pauses between duties whilst working on an Civil Engineers trip at New Street Station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1913
J Wiltshire
BR 5MT 4-6-0 No 73019 pauses between duties whilst working on an Civil Engineers trip at New Street Station
The partial remains of the pedestrian footbridge which crossed over Queens Drive during demolition of the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str2874
R Law (Senior)
The partial remains of the footbridge which crossed over Queens Drive during demolition of the station
Panoramic view of the rebuilding of New Street station showing the former Midland side of the station being the first to be started
Ref: lnwrbns_str2872
R Law (Senior)
View of the rebuilding of New Street station showing the former MR side of the station being the first to be started
Another view of the train indicator board located off Queens Drive adjacent to Platform 4 which was brought into use on 17th August 1928
Ref: lnwrbns_str2873
R Law (Senior)
Demolition work being carried out on the site of the original 1851 station with Navigation Street bridge in the distance
Looking East from the West end of Platform 10 with the soon to be demolished passenger footbridge over Queens Drive in the middle distance
Ref: lnwrbns_str425
DJ Norton
Looking East from the West end of Platform 10 with the footbridge over Queens Drive in the middle distance

Looking East from Navigation Street bridge towards the station with LNWR section still insitu with a temporary footbridge in the foreground
Ref: lnwrbns_str427
DJ Norton
Looking East from Navigation Street bridge towards the station with a temporary footbridge in the foreground
Looking West to New Street No 5 Signal Cabin with New Street's new Power Box seen above Navigation St bridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str1788
DJ Norton
Looking West to New Street No 5 Signal Cabin with New Street's new Power Box seen above Navigation St bridge
Looking West and below Hill Street bridge from the end of the newly constructed Platform 10 on 22nd May 1965
Ref: lnwrbns_str1789
DJ Norton
Looking West and below Hill Street bridge from the end of the newly constructed Platform 10 on 22nd May 1965
Looking from Queens Drive through the remains of the passenger footbridge and across the Eastern end of the LNWR portion of New Street station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1839
BWL Brooksbank
Looking from Queens Drive through the remains of the footbridge and across the Eastern end of the station
An elevated view of the demolition of the main station building on Midland portion of New Street station with Rotunda rising in the background
Ref: lnwrbns_str1775
Birmingham Post & Mail
An elevated view of the demolition of the main station building on Midland portion of New Street station

Looking East along Platform One in November 1965 whilst opposite Platform Three the erection of the new station continues apace
Ref: lnwrbns_str1906
Birmingham Post & Mail
Looking East along Platform One in November 1965 whilst opposite the erection of the new station continues apace
Looking West of the final stages of the demolition of the original 1854 station with the Queen's Hotel on the right still towering over the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1907
British Rail
Looking West of the final stages of the demolition of the original 1854 station with the Queen's Hotel on the right
Looking West along Platform 3 showing the final stages of the removal of the last two steel trusses of Cowper's great roof
Ref: lnwrbns_str1920
L&GRP
Looking West along Platform 3 showing the removal of the last two steel trusses of Cowper's great roof
LMS railway photo
Ref: lnwrbns_str1769
DJ Norton
Looking West along Platform 1 towards New Street No 5 Signal Box during the construction of the new station
Looking East from beneath Hill Street bridge along Platform 1 with the Queen's Hotel towering above the station on 2nd April 1964
Ref: lnwrbns_str1771
DJ Norton
Looking East from under Hill Street bridge along Platform 1 with the Queen's Hotel towering above the station

Looking West from the end of Platform 8 towards the bridge carrying the junction of Hill Street, John Bright Street and Navigation Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str1787
DJ Norton
Looking West from the end of Platform 8 to the junction of Hill Street, John Bright Street and Navigation Street
View of the demolition of the New Street station frontage and Queen's Hotel in Stephenson Street in 1966
Ref: lnwrbns_str2947
B Timmins
View of the demolition of the New Street station frontage and Queen's Hotel in Stephenson Street in 1966
Willesden Steam Breakdown Crane is seen assisting in the demolition of the MR side of New Street station in 1965
Ref: lnwrbns_str2948
B Timmins
Willesden Steam Breakdown Crane is seen assisting in the demolition of the MR side of New Street station in 1965
A birds eye view of the rebuilding of the station at the East end of New Street with on the right the remains of Platform One
Ref: lnwrbns_str1908
British Rai
A birds eye view showing the rebuilding of the station at the East end and on the right the remains of Platform One
Close up showing the open 7-plank wagons standing on temporary track laid on the site of Platforms 1 to 3on 22nd February 1966
Ref: lnwrbns_str1907a
British Railways
Close up showing the open 7-plank wagons standing on temporary track laid on the site of Platforms 1 to 3

Ex-LMS 2-6-0 5P4F 'Crab' No 42707 passes through a demolished New Street station in 1964
Ref: lnwrbns_br3083
J Ball
Ex-LMS 2-6-0 5P4F 'Crab' No 42707 passes through a demolished New Street station in 1964
Looking from Platform 1 towards Worcester Street with demolition being undertaken on Platform 2 and elsewhere
Ref: lnwrbns_str2942
Powell Hendry
Looking from Platform 1 towards Worcester Street with demolition being undertaken on Platform 2 and elsewhere
A 1966 view of the rebuilding of the portal of the South tunnel for LNWR traffic with the MR tunnel on the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str2946
F Easton
A 1966 view of the rebuilding of the portal of the South tunnel for LNWR traffic with the MR tunnel on the right
Looking West along the newly built Platform 12 from the Coventry end of the station whilst a DMU can be seen arriving at Platform 11 on 22nd May 1965
Ref: lnwrbns_str1783
DJ Norton
Looking West along the newly built Platform 12 from the Coventry end of the station on 22nd May 1965
Another view of the train indicator board located off Queens Drive adjacent to Platform 4 which was brought into use on 17th August 1928
Ref: lnwrbns_str2878
Railtrack
A Craven DMU is seen lurking in the gloom of the rebuilt New Street station on 15th September 1969

back to top

New Street station's Signal Cabins

New Street No 1 Signal Cabin

Looking towards Worcester Street tunnel with an unidentified ex-LNWR 0-6-2T locomotive passing New Street No 1 Signal Box and a gang of Permanent Way workers
Ref: lnwrbns_str1882
Postcard
Looking towards Worcester Street tunnel as an ex-LNWR 0-6-2T locomotive passes New Street No 1 Signal Box
Looking from the East end of Platform 6, formerly Platform 3, towards a smoke filled Worcester Street tunnel with the former South Staffordshire Bays on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str1772
British Railways
Looking from the East end of Platform 6, formerly Platform 3, towards a smoke filled Worcester Street tunnel

New Street No 2 Signal Cabin

Close up of New Street No 2 Signal Cabin and the timber bracket signals controlling departures to Derby
Ref: lnwrbns_str1841a
RK Blencowe
Close up of New Street No 2 Signal Cabin and the timber bracket signals controlling departures to Derby
Close up of New Street No 2 Signal Box which was built and operated by the LNWR even though after 1889 it only served Midland trains
Ref: lnwrbns_str1868b
LNWR Society
Close up of New Street No 2 Signal Box built and operated by the LNWR even though it only served Midland trains
Looking East under Queens Drive bridge and Worcester Street tunnel with New Street No 2 Signal Cabin on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str424
DJ Norton
Looking East under Queens Drive bridge and Worcester Street tunnel with New Street No 2 Signal Cabin on the left
An internal view of New Street No 2 Signal Box with 'bobbies' Walter Pritchard and a Mr Bing posing for the camera between duties on 20th March 1954
Ref: lnwrbns_str433
DJ Norton
New Street No 2 Signal Cabin with 'bobbies' Walter Pritchard and a Mr Bing posing between duties on 20th March 1954

New Street No 3 Signal Cabin

Close up of New Street No 3 signal cabin which had two lever frames, one on the West side for up trains and one on the East side for down trains
Ref: lnwrbns_str402b
NRM
Close up of New Street No 3 signal cabin which had two lever frames, one for up and the other for down trains
Close up showing the top of the steps to Western section of Platform 1 with a signalman standing on duty at New Street No 3 Signal Cabin
Ref: lnwrbns_str1866a
LNWR Society
Close up of the top of the steps to West side of Platform 1 with a signalman on duty at New Street No 3 Signal Cabin
Close up of the Western face of New Street No 3 signal cabin showing the 17 levers controlling the points and signals to the Western half of the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str1857a
British Railways
Close up of New Street No 3 signal cabin showing the 17 levers controlling the western side's points and signals
Close up of the Western face of New Street No 3 Signal Cabin and the 17 levers controlling the points and signals
Ref: lnwrbns_str1857a
British Railways
Close up of the West face of New Street No 3 Signal Cabin and the 17 levers controlling the points and signals

Close up showing New Street No 3 Signal Cabin which was accessed by a ladder from the footbridge
Ref: lnwrbns_str1848a
British Railways
Close up showing New Street No 3 Signal Cabin which was accessed by a ladder from the footbridge

New Street No 4 Signal Cabin

Close up showing New Street Signal Cabin No 4 located beneath the roof and above Platform 9
Ref: lnwrbns_br1982a
M Mensing
Close up showing New Street Signal Cabin No 4 located beneath the roof and above Platform 9
Close up showing the remains of the roof ironwork and the empty shell of New Street Signal Cabin No 4
Ref: lnwrbns_br2000a
M Mensing
Close up showing the remains of the roof ironwork and the empty shell of New Street Signal Cabin No 4

New Street No 5 Signal Cabin

An aerial view of New Street station's 1884 No 5 Signal Box which was 80 feet long and equipped with 152 levers on 4th May 1938
Ref: lnwrbns_str1911
LE Copeland
An aerial view of New Street station's 1884 No 5 Signal Box which was 80 feet long and equipped with 152 levers
Looking towards the smoke filled tunnel which commenced at Suffolk Street, on the right New Street No 5 Signal Cabin
Ref: lnwrbns_str422
DJ Norton
Looking towards the smoke filled tunnel which commenced at Suffolk Street, on the right New Street No 5 Signal Cabin
Looking West  from Navigation Street bridge towards Swallow Street bridge showing New Street No 5 Signal Cabin on the right and the recently painted signal gantry
Ref: lnwrbns_str399
DJ Norton
Looking towards Swallow Street bridge showing New Street No 5 Signal Cabin on the right

back to top

Miscellaneous

View of the LMS advertising hoarding sited in Hill Street to the left of the entrance to the fish, milk and carriage loading yard
Ref: lnwrbns_str1923
NRM
LMS advertising hoarding sited in Hill Street to the left of the entrance to the fish, milk and carriage loading yard
View of the LMS advertising hoarding erected at the corner of Hill Street and Queens Drive which is off to the right
Ref: lnwrbns_str1914
NRM
View of the LMS advertising hoarding erected at the corner of Hill Street and Queens Drive which is off to the right
View of the LMS advertising hoarding erected at the junction of  Navigation Street, which can be seen on the left, and Pinfold Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str1909
NRM
LMS advertising hoarding erected at the junction of Navigation Street, seen on the left, and Pinfold Street
Passengers mill around the locked gates of Station Street during the 1911 railway strike
Ref: lnwrbns_str2953
Birmingham Library
Passengers mill around the locked gates of New Street's Station Street entrance during the 1911 railway strike
Soldiers of the Great War march out of Queens Drive and cross over Hill Street and into John Bright Street
Ref: lnwrbns_str1886
Postcard
Soldiers of the Great War march out of Queens Drive and cross over Hill Street and into John Bright Street

A publicity photograph taken in August 1922 advertising Robinsons Royal Blue Motor Tours which operated from the station
Ref: lnwrbns_str2939
J Alsop
A photograph taken in August 1922 advertising Robinsons Royal Blue Motor Tours which operated from the station
Another view of the train indicator board located off Queens Drive adjacent to Platform 4 which was brought into use on 17th August 1928
Ref: lnwrbns_str2952
Birmingham Post
Prize winning van horses and their drivers from the LMS pose for the camera in Station Street cab rank in 1936
Looking along Hill Street towards the junction with Navigation Street whilst on the right beyond the tram stop is the entrance to Queens Drive
Ref: lnwrbns_str1903
TJ Edgington
Hill Street looking towards Navigation Street whilst on the right beyond the tram stop is the entrance to Queens Drive
A 1963 view along Station Street from its junction with John Bright Street showing New Street station in the background
Ref: lnwrbns_str3077
J Ball
View along Station Street from its junction with John Bright Street showing New Street station in the background
Looking towards Worcester Street from New Street with the Rotunda building on the left under construction in 1963
Ref: lnwrbns_str3073
J Ball
Looking towards Worcester Street from New Street with the Rotunda building on the left under construction in 1963

View looking south west towards New Street Station and Worcester Street along St Martinís Circus Ringway in 1963.
Ref: lnwrbns_str3074
J Ball
Looking south west towards New Street Station and Worcester Street along St Martin’s Circus Ringway
View of Worcester Street looking north from its junction with Station Street in 1963 with Queens Drive on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str3075
RF Ball
View of Worcester Street looking north from its junction with Station Street in 1963 with Queens Drive on the left
View down Hill Street in 1963 from its junction with John Bright Street with the Midland side train shed on the left
Ref: lnwrbns_str3082
J Ball
View down Hill Street in 1963 from its junction with John Bright Street with the Midland side train shed on the left

back to top

New Street Station (226) Locomotives seen at New Street station (295)

Mick Bramich writes "Before the rebuilding of the early ‘sixties, New Street was a dirty, smelly place. Gas lamps prevailed on both sides of the carriage road which divided the tracks of the former Midland and LNWR companies. It was dark and oppressive but sometimes threw up great surprises. I spent little time there but I did see a Southern West Country pacific, ‘City of Wells’, hauling a special in the latter days of steam.All the regular traffic is covered by your excellent ‘photo site. I do remember the frantic rush across the city after the Inter City at Snow Hill had departed to see what was hauling the up evening Scot. A Scot, yes, but from which distant location?"