Sutton Coldfield Station (LNWR)
Sutton Coldfield station was opened on 2nd June 1862, as the
northern terminus of the branch line from Aston built by the London and North
Western Railway. The station is built using red brick and was equipped with
elaborate ceilings and pillars. The population increased dramatically and in
1880 an extension to Lichfield City was authorised. This line was opened to
goods traffic in September 1884 and to passenger traffic on 15th December 1884.
A new passenger station, on a 15 chain radius curve, replaced the original
station. The new line was extended north to Lichfield via a 171 yard tunnel
built immediately beyond the end of the platforms. After the extension was
opened the services serving Lichfield were a combination of trains terminating
at Sutton Coldfield, Four Oaks - the next station to the north, or Lichfield.
After the grouping of railway companies in 1923, the station came under the
control of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway which resulted in the
rationalisation of the former Midland Railway services at Sutton Town. Goods
facilities were withdrawn from Sutton Coldfield on 1st May 1967 and a Motor
Rail terminal for services to Scotland and the West Country opened. This
facility was closed in 1972, together with Newton-le-Willows, when Crewe was
designated to handle the requirements of the West Midlands.
The Original 1862 Station
The Rebuilt 1884 Station
Accident at Sutton Coldfield station on 23rd January