Birmingham New Street Station: lnwrbns_str1295d
Close up of the East end of Queens Drive and the junction of
Worcester Street and Station Street with the Midland Railway's parcel offices
at the corner of Station Street and Queens Drive. Parcel services were offered
by all railways and they used both express and local passenger services to
deliver parcels to the care of the nearest station for onward delivery by road
or collection depending on the service purchased. Richard Foster writes that a
feature of the 1883 timetable was the adoption of even-interval departures for
some of the heavier loaded local services, an aspect introduced in 1881.
The Harborne branch had an hourly service with most leaving
at 15 minutes past the hour and the last service departing at 11 15pm.
Similarly the Wolverhampton stopping service had a majority of services
departing on the hour. Not all such services terminated at a local station.
Whilst Walsall was served by a timetable that basically provided an hourly
service, most of these trains served places further afield such as Derby,
Lichfield, Burton and Rugeley. However services on the Sutton branch and local
services to Coventry had no obvious pattern and were in the latter's case
patchy with long gaps between services.