Birmingham New Street Station: lnwrbns_str405
Close up of image 'lnwrbns_str405' showing a 32 foot
five-compartment all third six-wheel carriage No 1523 built about 1880. It
carries a 'Birmingham' destination board, and has the LNW monogram on the outer
set of doors and the coat of arms on the two inner doors. The carriage is
equipped with a bottom footboard running the full length of the carriage and,
beneath each door attached to the underframe, an individual footboard. As can
be seen the underframe is lined out. Richard Foster states that in 1885 a
change in design was made to fit a continuous top footboard. Above the door is
the emergency brake cord which ran through eyelets located along the gutter.
The cord is not fitted as its lying loose on the latter half of the roof. The
cord does however pass between the coach and the coach behind No 1816 (see
'lnwrbns_str405c') indicating that it could still be used. This was attached to
the locomotive and when pulled would operate a steam brake which would apply
brakes fitted to the locomotive. Above the carriage is a loading gauge which
would be a hangover from the times luggage was loaded on top of the carriage
roof or when road vehicles would be loaded on flat trucks attached to trains.
The purpose of the gauge was simple, to ensure that such loads would not foul
any bridge or structure along the line.