LMS Route: Evesham to Birmingham
Broom Junction Station: mrbj540
The original 1879 signal box installed to accommodate the
connection with the Evesham Redditch & Stratford Railway. Bob Essery in his
book 'An Illustrated History of the Ashchurch to Barnt Green Line - The
Evesham Route' describes the above as the second signal box at this
location which opened on 9th October 1892. However image 'mrbj158' clearly shows the second box was of an
altogether different design as was its successor seen in image 'mrbj539c'. It is therefore our contention that this
signal box was actually the original 1879 structure. The height of the signal
box, which is relatively low, is probably due to the intention of management to
provide the signalman with a line of sight beneath the bridge to the station.
The two members of staff appear to be shunters as one is holding the long
handled hook that was used to disconnect the couplings of unfitted wagons.