LMS Route: Evesham to Birmingham
Broom Junction Station: mrbj158
View of Broom Junction Signal Box on the left with the SMJ line
curving away to the left and the Evesham line continuing ahead in 1933. On the
right in the foreground is Milepost 67, indicating the junction was 67 miles
from Derby, the headquarters of the Midland Railway. The signal box, built in
1892, was the second signal box on this site and was formerly Broom South
Signal Box. It was to be replaced by the LMS the following year when the
replacement signal box also took over the duties of Broom North Signal Box.
When the south junction was installed in 1942, to connect the SMJ line to the
Midland Railway line to Gloucester in order to facilitate the smooth flow of
traffic from the south to the Midlands and London, the signal box was renamed
Broom North Signal Box with the two other signal boxes controlling the south
junction being named Broom East and Broom West, the latter being further down
the MR line towards Evesham.