LMS 5MT 2-6-0 No 2966 is seen light engine on the up line and from the position of the single lamp at the top of the smokebox its due to work a local passenger service. Built at Crewe works in January 1934 No 2966 remained in service until August 1964 when it was withdrawn from Bushbury shed to be scrapped in November 1964 by J Cashmore of Great Bridge. The 2-6-0 wheel configuration was a popular layout of locomotives, particularly overseas and the use of the name 'Mogul' to describe this wheel configuration stemmed from American practice.
This wheel configuration was first used on the LMS by Hughes in his short tenure as the LMS's first CME (Chief Mechanical Engineer) and whose insistence on using lower pressure boilers had resulted in large cylinders that needed to be raised partly above the running plate as seen in image 'lnwrlave1348'. Stanier's version of the same locomotive is seen above and used a much higher boiler pressure and the tapered boiler found on the GWR where he had spent most of his working life. In addition to being called 'Moguls' they were also known in other parts of the country as 'Stanier Crabs'.