Hamstead and Great Barr Station
Great Barr was opened on the original route of the Grand
Junction Railway in 1862. For the website's convenience we have included the
station as being on the Birmingham-Soho- Birmingham route as Perry Barr,
Witton, Aston and Vauxhall & Duddeston were all sited along the route. The
first station was opened by the Grand Junction Railway on 4th July 1837, and
was named Hamstead and Great Barr; it was renamed Great Barr on 1st May 1875.
The station was rebuilt to be fully on the opposite side of the Old Walsall
Road bridge on 25th March 1899; this station, again known as Great Barr, was
renamed Hamstead on 6th May 1974. The station also had sidings which served the
adjacent Hamstead Colliery.
The goods yard was a simple affair and located adjacent to
the up line with a turnout located next to the Signal Cabin. There were two
sidings in the yard, one leading to a cattle dock and a weighbridge to cater
for mineral goods traffic. The weighbridge is noted to exist as early as 1913
on the Ordnance Survey map. According to the seventh edition (1894) Railway
Clearing House (RCH) 'Handbook of Stations, Junctions, Sidings and
Collieries' Great Barr station only provided facilities for the transport
of passengers and goods. The 1938 edition of the Handbook recorded the range of
facilities on offer had been extended to that of: Passenger, Goods, Livestock,
Horse Boxes and Prize Cattle Vans. No craneage facilities were available at
Great Barr, if these were required then a portable rail mounted crane would
need to be brought in by train.