LMS Route: Stratford Midland Junction - The Shakespeare
E&WJR and SMJ - Locomotives and Rolling Stock:
Ex-E&WJR 0-6-0 No 2300 stands resplendent in its new LMS
livery as the locomotive crew change over on 8th April 1924. Formerly E&WJR
No 2, the locomotive has had its number painted on the tender instead of the
cab of the locomotive. This was the practice of the Midland Railway one of the
constituent companies incorporated into the LMS on 1st January 1923. The LMS'
adoption of this practice was because many of their officers had gained the
more senior posts in the new company and used their influence to ensure that
much of the MR's practices continued. In addition to the locomotive number
being painted on the tender the LMS' initials were painted on the cab sides.
This practice did not last too many years because of the longer period required
to overhaul a locomotive compared to a tender. Frequently a tender was
overhauled quickly and therefore available many weeks ahead of the locomotive
to which it had been paired. Dropping this practice meant that by the late
1920s when Fowler began building his new tender classes of steam locomotives
fewer tenders were needed compared to locomotives.