LMS Route: Stratford Midland Junction - The Shakespeare
E&WJR and SMJ - Locomotives and Rolling Stock:
Ex-E&WJR 0-6-0 No 2306, formerly E&WJR No 12 but now
in its LMS guise, is busy working within the confines of Stratford station.
With buffers hard against each other, in all probability it was going to
provide banking assistance to a goods train tackling the climb up to Goldicote
Cutting which was a little over four miles away and for a good part of the
journey was at 1 in 80. Built in 1900 by Beyer Peycock the locomotive was in
1927 re-numbered No 2399 to clear the series for the Fowler 2-6-4 tanks before
being withdrawn to be scrapped in 1930. Dick Riley and Bill Simpson wrote in
their book on the railway that when the LMS took over some former S&MJR
drivers were taught the road through to St Pancras. Alternatively some Kentish
Town men were taught the S&MJR route.