LMS Route: Stratford Midland Junction - The Shakespeare
Broom Junction Station: smj_brm398
Ex-WD 2-8-0 'Austerity' No 90201 is seen on a Class H
through working with a train of steel billets between Broom and Stratford.
Allocated to Cardiff Canton shed at the time of the photograph, No 90201 was
built as WD No 7234 by the North British Locomotive Company of Glasgow in
October 1943. Later renumbered as WD No 77234, the locomotive was absorbed in
to British Railways stock and renumbered as British Railways No 90201 March
1949 which it retained until July 1964 when it was withdrawn from 9G Gorton
shed to be scrapped by Garrex Metals of Rochdale.
This photograph is available in colour in 'The Lost
Colour Collection Volume 1' ISBN 978-1-911262-04-6 Irwell Press