LMS Route: Nuneaton to Birmingham New Street
LMS Route: Birmingham New Street to Tamworth
Saltley Shed: mrsalt436
An internal view of one of Saltley's sheds with an array of
ex-LMS locomotives in company with an ex-MR locomotive standing on the roads
around the turntable on 6th June 1948. They are from left to right, No 8635, No
4920, No 493 and No 4808 with the first being a Nottingham based locomotive,
the second and third were Saltley engines whilst the fourth locomotive was an
ex-Bristol engine. The holes around the inside wall of the turntable centered
under each rail was how the turntable was secured for vertical and horizontal
alignment to allow the locomotives to move on and off the turntable.
Former LMS 8F 2-8-0 No 8635 was built at Brighton works in
August 1943 and was withdrawn 23 years later from Colwick shed in October 1966
to be scrapped by Drapers Ltd of Hull in February 1967. Ex-LMS 4-6-0 'Black 5'
No 4920 was built at Crewe works in December 1945 and was withdrawn from
Springs Branch shed in November 1967 and was also scrapped by Drapers Ltd of
Hull in March 1968.
Former MR 2P 4-4-0, a member of MR's 483 class was built at
Derby works in September 1897 and survived in service until it was withdrawn in
July 1959 from Nottingham shed for scrapping in July 1960 by TW Ward Ltd of
Killamarsh. Finally, ex-LMS 4-6-0 'Black 5' No 4808 was built at Derby works in
September 1944 and remained in service until it was withdrawn from Oxley shed
in December 1966 and scrapped by Drapers Ltd of Hull in December 1967.