LMS Route: Evesham to Birmingham
Alcester Station: mra133
Looking towards Redditch along the up platform with the
GWR's Bearley to Alcester branch auto trailer standing in the goods yard. The
GWR would run mixed trains along the branch which would require shunting when
at Alcester, during which time the trailer would be stored in the goods yard.
The station appears little changed from the Edwardian photographs except for
the signal box in the distance which was opened on 24th April 1932 replacing
two other boxes: one at the junction, the other at the south end of the down
platform. The practice of combining two signal boxes accelerated in the post
First World War period when labour costs became relatively more significant
than previous. The saving to the LMS, the Midland Railways's successor, at
Alcester would be the equivalent of at least two if not three signalmen.