Ex-LNWR 5XP Claughton class 4-6-0 No 6024 passes the coal stacks on its way to be turned on the turntable on 17th Aug 1929. Built originally as LNWR No 208 at Crewe works in May 1921 it received its LMS running number in December 1926 and remained in service until withdrawn in February 1935 to be scrapped at Crewe works.
early in 1913 Bowen Cooke produced the first Claughton class four-cylinder express-passenger 4-6-0 from Crewe Works, No 2222 Sir Gilbert Claughton. As first built, No. 2222 differed in a number of details from what later became usual. It had four windows in the front of the cab (later engines had only two), one set of safety valves (soon changed to two), the brake-valve outside on the left with the train-pipe connection round the firebox in front of the cab (later moved inside like all the others), standard lamp sockets (replaced by lamp irons immediately on No. 2222 but not on the first batch of nine until about 1915) and square lower corners on the front bufferbeam (cut away on the first ten after one fouled Bletchley platform later in 1913).