Looking towards Birmingham with No 2 Coventry Signal Box with the parcel sidings and depot on the right and the ex-L&B engine shed on the left. This photograph demonstrates the major problem confronting the railway authorities regarding Coventry and the development of a new station. The road bridge throttled the approach to the station and early action should have been taken to widen it thereby allowing the station to be extended and widened unimpeded as was eventually undertaken in 1959. Once the Leamington branch had been constructed at the other end of the station thereby fixing the end of the down platform this was the only option available. The bridge shown was demolished over a Saturday night by the means of providing protection to the rails and using explosive in a controlled demolition.
Photograph by HW Robinson © Steam Archive