BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br328
Ex-LMS 5XP 4-6-0 Jubilee class No 45654 'Hood' is seen
standing at the East end of Platform 3 at the head of a New Street to Euston
express on 8th August 1964. Built as LMS No 5654 by Crewe works in February
1935 No 45654 remained in service until June 1966 when it was withdrawn from
Newton Heath shed in Manchester to be scrapped by TW Ward of Beighton near
Sheffield although records show it was in store at Staveley shed in January
1962. There is a Warwickshire connection with the locomotive's name.
Neil Alvison writes, 'The Jubilee locomotives numbered
from 45639 to 45678 were named after Sea Lords, meaning that the locomotive was
named after Admiral Hood (as was Lord Nelson class No 30859, Lord Hood).
Locomotives from No 45679 to No 45730 were named after Royal Navy warships,
but, as Hood had already been allocated to No 45654 after the Admiral, a second
locomotive, especially of the same class, could hardly be subsequently be named
after the ship'. The Hoods were resident at Whitley Abbey, Coventry from
the latter part of the 198th century well into the 19th century and there is
still a Lord Hood of Whitley who resides in the London area according to
Burke's Peerage. There was a Hood House at Whitley Abbey School until the house
system was scrapped some years ago.