·  LMS  ·  GWR  ·  LNER  ·  Misc  ·  Stations  ·  What's New  ·  Video  ·  Guestbook  ·  About

LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington

Old Milverton Lineside Views: lnwr_oldmil1453

Ex-LNWR 7F 0-8-0 'G2' No 9436 is seen with plenty of steam to spare at the head of an up mixed freight service between Kenilworth and Milverton

Ex-LNWR 7F 0-8-0 'G2' No 9436 is seen with plenty of steam to spare at the head of an up mixed freight service between Kenilworth and Milverton. The line was originally built as a single branch line with a passing loop at Kenilworth opening in 1844. The line wasn't doubled however for another 40 years to coincide with the Berkswell to Kenilworth Junction branch being opened in 1884. This view shows that when doubled, the cuttings were much wider than would often be the case elsewhere. This is a little surprising because the width of the cutting was quite considerable, as much as would be required for three tracks. One possibility is that the extra earth was dug to provide for the earthworks required for a nearby embankment or for use as ballast on the line. Both techniques were employed by the LNWR in the construction of both the original line as well as when the line was widened.

back