Birmingham Railway and Carriage Co Ltd:
In 1924 Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Works Co
(BRCWC) built 250 twenty ton steel open wagons for the Great Western Railway
(Lot 937). The wagons had top hinged tipping doors at either end and a single
door on each side (diagram N23). The wagons were painted grey and given GWR
running numbers 110001 to 110250. At that time most private owner mineral
wagons were either ten or twelve ton wooden bodied wagons and the Great Western
Railway saw significant advantages in the use of larger capacity wagons, which
for the same load took up less siding space and had a lower tare weight.
Initially in September 1923, an inducement was introduced involving a rebate of
5% off the rates in respect of coal class traffic conveyed wholly in fully
loaded twenty ton wagons. Then in the following year £285,000 was spent
on building a total of 950 twenty ton steel wagons for long time hire to
specific companies. As a result of these initiatives the wagons were called
after the Great Western Railway's General Manager Felix Pole.
All of the 250 twenty ton wagons built by the BRCWC were
allocated to North's Navigation Collieries in South Wales, who had signed two
agreements with the Great Western Railway under which the wagons were built and
assigned for North's sole use with North's name and working instructions
painted on the wagons. North's had several collieries in the Maesteg area from
where they exported coal via Port Talbot harbour, which also being owned by the
Great Western Railway had adapted its coal discharge tips to be capable of
handling these larger wagons.
This photograph is displayed courtesy of the HMRS
(Historical Model Railway Society) and copies can be ordered directly from them
using the link HERE, quoting reference AAA408.