LMS Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_lms485
LMS 6P 4-6-0 Converted Patriot class No 5529 is seen blowing
off steam whilst standing at Platform 3 at the head of a down express service.
This locomotive was a new build Patriot class being built by Crewe in April
1933 as LMS No 5926 then re-numbered as No 5529 shortly afterwards together
with being given the name 'Sir Herbert Walker KCB'. The name was transferred to
LMS No 5535 in 1937 from LNWR 4-6-0 Claughton
class No 2204 and No 5529 remained nameless until after it was rebuilt when
in July 1948 it acquired the name 'Stephenson'. The photograph above shows No
5529 with the nameplate bracket fitted to the leading driver splasher but
without the nameplate. In addition, the locomotive has yet to acquire the
distinctive curved smoke deflectors fitted to all 2A re-boilered engines, the
tapered boiler suffering from the same drifting smoke problem as its parallel
boilered class mates. It was this form, with deflectors, that No 5529 remained
in service until February 1964 when it was retired from Annesley shed to be cut
up by Crewe works in March 1964.