Birmingham New Street Station
LNWR Locomotives: lnwrbns_pg1937
LNWR 4-6-0 Claughton class No 2204 'Sir Herbert Walker KCB'
is seen standing at Platform 4 whilst at the head of the noon arrival of the
Pines Express from Liverpool. Pat Whitehouse states in his book Pre-Grouping
in the West Midlands that after the opening of the West Suburban line and
the Midland side of New Street station in 1885 it was standard practice that
the train be brought into the Midland side of the station. He also adds that
the train was normally headed by a George the Fifth or Prince of Wales class
locomotive supplied by Edge Hill shed in Liverpool. The train has obviously
travelled via the tunnel at the West end of New Street station and the Midland
locomotive would need to couple up at the other end as the train would need to
depart to the South via the West end tunnel for the West Suburban line.