LMS Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_lms482
LMS 5XP 4-6-0 Patriot class No 5902 'Sir Frank Ree' is seen
standing at the West end of Platform 3 whilst at the head of a down express
service. Originally built at Crewe works by the LNWR as No 1191, a 4-6-0
Claughton class locomotive in May 1913, No 5902 was rebuilt as a Patriot class
locomotive by Derby works in November 1930 and was later renumbered No 5501 by
the LMS as part of their overhaul of the LMS' locomotive running numbers. The
locomotive is seen in its 'as first built' form without smoke deflectors fitted
to either side of the smokebox which gave the class a distinctly powerful look.
Smoke deflectors were required because at certain speeds and in certain types
of weather conditions, smoke from the chimney could drift alongside the
smokebox and obscure the driver's vision. This was the second of the class to
be 'rebuilt' and contained very little of the original Claughton locomotive
although the large centre bossed driving wheels and double radial bogie truck
Essentially No 5902 in its Patriot form was a new
locomotive combining the new Royal Scot class chassis with the large boiler
fitted by the LMS to the Claughton's in an attempt to resolve poor steaming and
high maintenance. In 1937, for reasons not known to the author, the name 'Sir
Frank Ree' was transferred to LMS 4-6-0 Patriot class No 5530 (a new build
locomotive out-shopped in April 1933) and the name of St Dunstans was applied.
This name change preceded the locomotive being rebuilt again in 1946 with
Stanier's 2A boiler as part of the LMS' plan to rebuild all of Fowler's
parallel boilered classes when their boilers were life expired. It was
therefore in the form of this third incarnation that No 5902, renumbered by the
LMS as No 5501 and then renumbered again by British Railways as No 45501, was
withdrawn from service in September 1961 from Upperby shed in Carlisle to be
scrapped by Crewe works.
All of the Royal Scot class and eighteen of the one-hundred
and ninety-one Patriot class locomotives were rebuilt with the Stanier 2A
boiler, with the Patriots also acquiring a Stanier cab and high-sided 5000
gallon tender. Visually the new rebuilt Patriot class looked identical to the
only two Jubilee class locomotives so rebuilt, No 5735 'Comet' and No 5736
'Pheonix', which were first fitted with the 2A boiler in 1941 as an experiment.
The Royal Scot class however retained their Fowler cab so were easily
distinguishable from the Patriot and Jubilee class locomotives. See 'lnwrbns_lms485' to see a Patriot class locomotive
fitted with the 2A bolier.