BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br1798
Restored Midland Railway 2-4-0 No 158A, seen being exhibited
at Birmingham New Street during the station's centenary year, on 2nd June 1954.
Withdrawn from service in 1947, this double framed veteran was restored, and
then preserved as part of the national collection at Clapham in London. Matthew
Kirtley, its designer, had strong connections with Birmingham's early railway
history, as he had been the locomotive superintendent of the Birmingham and
Derby Junction Railway, with a home in nearby Hampton-in-Arden. The locomotive
was originally built in 1866, but many changes had been made over the years.
The outside frames were still Kirtley's, but the boiler and cab were Johnson's
and the smoke box door and chimney were Deeley's. The restored number 158A
acknowledges this, as it was the one carried between 1896 and 1907. The
locomotive had been a locally allocated one in LMSR days. Compare this view of
it with photographs taken when it was in service in the 1930s at New Street,
Bournville and Kings Norton. See images 'lnwrbns_lms1944', 'mrb17' and 'mrknlms233'.