LMS Route: Nuneaton to Leamington
Bedworth Station: lnwrb3269
Bedworth's station master and draymen from the Goods Shed
pose for a publicity photograph with a large delivery of Ale. The photograph is
of interest as it appears to show the same station master as seen in image 'lnwrb3267' and an office which has nearly doubled in
size to that seen in image 'lnwrb3258'. Peter Lee
writes in his book 'Nuneaton, Coventry & Leamington Railway' that
the consignment of beer has been unloaded, in barrels and bottles, to be
distributed to the many pubs in Bedworth to 'slake the thirst of hard working
colliers'. He notes too that the yard held thirty-eight wagons in total.
Reg Instone of the LNWR Society writes, 'These must be later
than images 'lnwrb3258' and 'lnwrb3260' due to the extension of the delivery
office. The Station Master now has the more modern type of peaked hat (even
though it's the same Station Master), and the 'LNWR' ovals on the junior
men's lapels may have gone, although none of them are in these photos! Assuming
that the extension was completed in 1911, the Station Master who was there
before and after must have been A Faulks. His d.o.b. was 13 May 1880 and d.e.s.
was 27th October 1894. It would easily be possible to trace his career history
if required. Reference to the 1911 census shows that he was Alfred Faulks, born
1880 in Earls Shilton, Station Master in Bedworth. He was 30, married to
Elizabeth Mary with a 2 year old daughter'.