LMS Route: Birmingham West Suburban Railway
Bournville Shed: mrb9
LMSR 2P 4-4-0 No 369 is taking on water at Bournville shed
on a warm summer's day in 1938. One of the crew stands on the tender and the
water crane bag is visible through the cab lookout window. The water crane
itself is out of sight behind the engine. No 369 is at its home depot, as the
shed code is Bournville's. Originally No 1749, a small boilered Johnson 4-4-0
with seven foot driving wheels, it was built in 1886 at Derby by the Midland
Railway. It was rebuilt in 1907 with large "H" type round top boiler and new
cab, returning to service with the new number 369. This rebuild upgraded its
power class from 1P to 2P. It was rebuilt again in 1910 with 'G7' type Belpaire
boiler, extended smoke box and restyled cab. Its power class was unaltered by
this rebuild, and it passed to the LMSR in this form as a 2P. One of the last
'G7' boilered 4-4-0s with seven foot driving wheels in service, No 369 was
withdrawn in 1940.
There were twenty engines in the 1738 class. Originally
numbered 1738 to 1757, they were renumbered 358 to 377 in the 1907 scheme. At
much the same time, Deeley started fitting some of them with his much larger
"H" type boiler and new cab, radically altering their appearance. A few years
later the 'G7' type boiler was preferred as the rebuilding programme continued.
Ten of the 1738 class engines were rebuilt or further rebuilt with this boiler.
They were numbers 358, 361, 363, 365, 366, 368, 369, 372, 374, 376. Of the
forty-four 'G7' boilered 2P 4-4-0s inherited by the LMSR from the Midland, only
these ten had seven foot driving wheels. They looked very different from the
engines they had been when built. However, they did retain their original
frames and wheels, so were not accountancy rebuilds. Like all Deeley rebuilt
4-4-0s they had straight footplates, separating them visually from the longer
lived and more numerous Fowler superheated 483 class, which had the footplate
raised above the driving wheels. The last surviving 'G7' boilered 4-4-0s with
seven foot driving wheels were withdrawn in 1940.