LMS Route: Birmingham West Suburban Railway
Bournville Shed: mrb670
Ex-MR 2F 0-6-0 No 58126 is seen departing from its home shed
on a rather grey looking day, Monday 27th April 1953. Taken from the signal
box, this photograph clearly shows the disc type ground signal controlling
access to the main line, the layout of the adjacent junctions, the road bridge
and, seen through the arch, the down platform of the station. The two
railwaymen are walking along the access path to the shed from the road. No
58126 had a long history involving no less than four rebuilds. Originally built
by Kitson & Company of Leeds, it had entered service as Midland Railway
'1142' class No 385 in 1876. The Midland rebuilt it with 18" cylinders in 1890,
rebuilt it again in 1901 (details not available), assigned it to power class 2
in 1905, renumbered it No 2924 in 1907, rebuilt it again in 1915 (details not
available), then rebuilt it again with Fowler 'G6' Belpaire boiler & 'RE2'
cab in 1922. After the grouping, the LMS reclassified it 2F in 1928, then
renumbered it No 22924 on their duplicate list in 1934. Burton-on-Trent was its
home shed in 1945, but it had been reallocated to Bournville by December 1947,
probably as a replacement for one of the shed's withdrawn double framed 0-6-0s.
British Railways allotted it No 58126 in March 1948, renumbering it in
September 1949. Bournville remained its home shed until it was damaged in an
accident in the roundhouse in June 1956. It was then withdrawn for scrap. For a
photo of it awaiting its fate after the accident see image 'mrb1531,'.