A later view of British Railways Non-ganwayed Motor Parcel Van M55998 standing at Platform One having delivered one of the two vans into the new Parcels Depot. The new Parcel Depot was the first structure to be built being located on ground not used by the station. It has been suggested that the depot was required because at this time a large number of mail order catalogue packages were still coming into Coventry. The bridge seen above is the Stoney Road structure which had to be erected in order to span the now four platform layout, the previous bridge being too short. In fact the above bridge was the third to be erected at this location, the first being the London & Birmingham Railway bridge erected in 1837 and the second being the LNWR steel structure seen in image 'lnwrcov586'. In the view above, the island, which provided platforms two and three, has yet to be built.
This photograph is displayed courtesy of the RCTS (Railway Correspondence and Travel Society) and copies can be ordered directly from them using the link here. Please quote RE00046C.