Birmingham New Street Station
LNWR Locomotives: lnwrbns_pg413b
A pair of Webb 4ft 6in LNWR 2-4-2 Tanks, No 522 and No 894,
are seen standing at the East end of Platform One with the South Staffordshire
bay behind circa 1890. This class was designed to provide a greater coal and
water capacity than the 2-4-0 tank engines built by Webb between 1876 and 1880
and initially to be found on local services around Birmingham and Manchester.
The class eventually totalled 220 of which 180 were built as new between
1879-90 whilst forty were built as replacements of 2-4-0 tanks in 1895-8. The
driving wheels when new were 4ft 8½in in diameter whilst the leading and
trailing wheels, both in radial axles, were 3ft 3½in diameter.