Birmingham New Street Station
BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br336
Ex-LMS 4-6-0 5MT 4-6-0 No 45034, one of Stanier's ubiquitous
'Black 5s' is seen standing at the West end of Platform 5 with a northbound
express in the Summer of 1959. The chalked headcode indicates the 'diagram'
that the locomotive is working and whilst the train is made up of pure
passenger coaching stock the headcodes are for a Class 'C' working which
covered Parcels, fish, livestock, milk, fruit or perishables, all worked as as
an XP (express) service. Built by the Vulcan Foundry Company in September 1934
No 45034 was to remain in service until the final year of steam being withdrawn
in February 1968 from Speke Junction shed in Liverpool to be scrapped in May
1968 by TW Ward Ltd of Killamarsh.