BR Period Locomotives: lnwrbns_br3313
Ex-LMS 6P 4-6-0 No 46156 'The South Wales Borderer' stands
at Platform 1 with an up express service to Euston in 1963. Seen in rebuilt
form, the locomotive was originally built as LMS No 6156 by Derby works in July
1930 with a parallel boiler, no smoke deflectors and a small 3500 gallon
'Fowler' tender. The locomotive remained in service until October 1964 when it
was withdrawn from 16B Annesley shed.
When the boilers and cylinders were life-expired, and
because their smokeboxes were difficult to keep airtight, the decision was made
to rebuild all of the class adopting the Type 2A Stanier boiler first fitted to
two Jubilee Class locomotives in 1942. The programme to rebuild the class
commenced in 1943 and was completed by 1955. The rebuild was quite substantial,
requiring new boiler, frames and cylinders but in most cases the original frame
stretchers, wheels, cab and fittings were retained. The usual procedure adopted
for rebuilding was for each locomotive to be stripped on arrival and it's
identity transferred to a fresh frameset pre-prepared using the parts recovered
from the locomotive that had previously been re-built. Most rebuilt locomotives
retained their own cab, wheels etc., but most of the frame stretchers, and
other integral parts of the frame were from the previously re-built locomotive.
The new frames were slightly shorter than the originals.